Support Gay Marriage Cakes

Discussion for Christian perspectives on ethical issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sexuality, and so forth.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Support Gay Marriage Cakes

Post by Storyteller »

If such a book existed it would probably be illegal.

For arguments sake, let`s say it`s a novel containing such information and it wasn`t illegal.
Yes, I`d still sell it, despite having a young daughter.

To be fair though Rick, it`s unlikely such a book would ever be published.

I sell, and have sold, books that detail some pretty gruesome things. Rape, murder, violence, where do I draw the line if I start censoring my books? Do I sell books on racism for instance? Books about gollywogs? Books about serial killers and rapists? Mills and Boon?

I wouldn`t refuse to sell a book because I find it offensive. I run a business and I wouldn`t want someone to buy elsewhere if they can buy from me. But I do respect that each individual has the right to refuse.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Mel, Annette,

Would you force a Muslim cake maker to bake a cake that says, "Allah is Satan, and Muhammad is a false prophet"?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
melanie
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by melanie »

If I was a hairdresser and somebody wanted a mullet with a spiral perm what then :mrgreen:
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

No.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

melanie wrote:If I was a hairdresser and somebody wanted a mullet with a spiral perm what then :mrgreen:

That might be pushing it a little :mrgreen:
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Storyteller wrote:If such a book existed it would probably be illegal.

For arguments sake, let`s say it`s a novel containing such information and it wasn`t illegal.

I sell, and have sold, books that detail some pretty gruesome things. Rape, murder, violence, where do I draw the line if I start censoring my books? Do I sell books on racism for instance? Books about gollywogs? Books about serial killers and rapists? Mills and Boon?

I wouldn`t refuse to sell a book because I find it offensive. I run a business and I wouldn`t want someone to buy elsewhere if they can buy from me. But I do respect that each individual has the right to refuse.
I'd say a good place to draw the line would be whatever your conscience tells you. If my example being sold, doesn't violate your conscience, then fine. But if there is that certain book that you read and say there's no way you could sell it in good conscience, then you draw the line.

And I'd also say that as a Christian, your living by your conscience should take priority over your business making money. Wouldn't you agree?
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

melanie
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by melanie »

Storyteller wrote:No.
Haha I think I have just found the 'line' ;)
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

melanie wrote:If I was a hairdresser and somebody wanted a mullet with a spiral perm what then :mrgreen:
Isn't that the hip style in Aussie land?

-Edward R Murrow

melanie
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by melanie »

RickD wrote:

I'd say a good place to draw the line would be whatever your conscience tells you. If my example being sold, doesn't violate your conscience, then fine. But if there is that certain book that you read and say there's no way you could sell it in good conscience, then you draw the line.

And I'd also say that as a Christian, your living by your conscience should take priority over your business making money. Wouldn't you agree?
Yes Rick, I agree
It should be based on what the individual feels is appropriate, not just christians but across the board. If it puts in joepardy our conscience and integrity then a person has the right to run their business accordinly, as long as it is not bringing in bigotry, racism ect. What if someone who is prone to racism doesn't want a cake with Martin Luther King with icing ' I have a vision'.?
melanie
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by melanie »

RickD wrote:
Isn't that the hip style in Aussie land?
Ha! So hot ;)
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

melanie wrote:Rick, it is the comparible distiction you drew on that I saw an absurdity in.
Gays and religion compared to sick, illegal, pedophile material on how to lure young girls and rape them.
So where do you draw the line on what's acceptable sellable material.
No brainer
But Mel,

Your conscience may be ok with Gay "marriage". But obviously your conscience would bother you if you sold a pedophile book.

But that's your conscience. If someone else's conscience would not allow him to bake a cake with words that they find very offensive, should he be forced to make that cake? And if he should be forced, who should force him? Now we're talking about government getting involved in someone's business by forcing him to violate his conscience. You don't see a problem with that?

-Edward R Murrow

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

melanie wrote:
RickD wrote:

Yes Rick, I agree
It should be based on what the individual feels is appropriate, not just christians but across the board. If it puts in joepardy our conscience and integrity then a person has the right to run their business accordinly, as long as it is not bringing in bigotry, racism ect. What if someone who is prone to racism doesn't want a cake with Martin Luther King with icing ' I have a vision'.?
In that example, I'd say it's wrong, if it's motivated by racism. BUT, he still shouldn't be forced to bake the cake.
****Edit****
Now it would be a completely different story if that same racist refused to serve a customer because the customer is black.

-Edward R Murrow

Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

I`m not saying that anyone should be forced to bake a cake that goes against what they believe. I`m just saying that personally, my belief doesn`t come into it.

As for my conscience being more important than making money.... well, kinda. But, if my business doesn`t make money it will go under and that wouldn`t just affect me, it would affect my family.

I genuinely don`t see a problem with selling something I may not agree with, as long as it`s legal.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

ST wrote:
I`m not saying that anyone should be forced to bake a cake that goes against what they believe. I`m just saying that personally, my belief doesn`t come into it.
And that's fine. It's not something that goes against your conscience.
As for my conscience being more important than making money.... well, kinda. But, if my business doesn`t make money it will go under and that wouldn`t just affect me, it would affect my family.
Sure. But knowing you, if you came upon something that forced you to make a choice between your conscience and your business, I bet I know what you'd choose. You also know that God would take care of you if you make good choices, right?
I genuinely don`t see a problem with selling something I may not agree with, as long as it`s legal.
And that's fine for you. You're going by your conscience.

I guess that's my whole point.

-Edward R Murrow

Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

It really is a tricky one this.

Going back to the OP, who is being discriminated against....

I`d say both.

The cake maker for being taken to court for standing by what they believe in and refusing to make the cake and the gay couple for being refused a cake based on what someone else believes.