sweatshops

Discussion for Christian perspectives on ethical issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sexuality, and so forth.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: sweatshops

Post by Storyteller »

EssentialSacrifice wrote:
Would that make her a Care Bear?
My, now 27, daughter's favorite ... Image

Aw, that is cute :)

I may pinch it for my next avatar!
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
B. W.
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes

Post by B. W. »

Audie wrote:
B. W. wrote:
Audie wrote:Is it moral / ethical to purchase goods produced in third world sweatshops?
If there is no God - why would this mater at all y:-?
Try this: grab a baby bear, and when the mother heads your way tell her:

"You dont believe in god, so why do you care?"
Actually almost tripped over a cub along Sandbeach trail in Rocky Mountain National Park. By prayer mamma bear left my wife and me alone...

There is a God...

Or would you like to hear about the Big Kitties - Mountain Lions - encountered or the Moose?

There is a God...

How about having your life threaten and challenged by a Medicine Man and then watch Him run away after seeing someone rally big standing behind you... midst a large audience of onlookers - that happen to me in 2010 in Mescalero, NM at a meeting there

There is a God...

How about hear the Lord speak to you audibly while driving and tell'n you to stay put at a green light while your wife is telling you - dumby the light is green - and then watch a person going about 60 MPH run the Red portion of the light... preventing two cars from colliding in the intersection - mine and theres?

There is a God...

You just don't know him and yet, you can!

Why the fear Audie?
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Audie
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Audie »

Why did you change the subject?
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Audie wrote:Why did you change the subject?
Because you did talking about bears... oh my!

-
-
-
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

B. W. wrote:

-
-
-
What was the real reason?
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Audie wrote:
B. W. wrote:

-
-
-
You changed the subject...
-
-
-
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

B. W. wrote:
Audie wrote:
B. W. wrote:

-
-
-
You changed the subject...
-
-
-
You actually expect me to find anything you say to be reasonable or credible?
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Storyteller wrote:So we turn a blind eye to all that is wrong in the world because we can`t change it?Why can we not try and do both?
Did I say that we must turn a blind eye? What does the Bible say about helping those in need?

To clarify my position: it is impossible to make the world a better place, period. If that's your goal, you will fail miserably. Things are guaranteed to get worse. This holds true for the environment, for justice, for poverty, for wars, for diseases and all the other nasty things that news writers love to report on. There is a large & misguided segment of Christianity that thinks we are here to establish God's Kingdom on earth. Unfortunately, this goes against what is clearly written in the Scriptures.
Audie wrote:The profound irresponsible selfishness of the viewpoint put forth there by FL is appalling.
Ignoramus! You have no clue about what I think because you never asked me! To paraphrase your own silliness, "You make up stuff about what you think I am and then you let your imagination run wild!"

Slavery will always exist and we in rich countries benefit from it immensely. We have a strong interest in maintaining the status quo. I always laugh at the silliness of humanist dreamers who think they can create a just world for all. :pound:

FL :D
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Proinsias
Advanced Senior Member
Sex: Male

Post by Proinsias »

I'm often confused by this....FL seems to have a dencent outlook on the matter...make ethical purchases where possible...but this is not an easy decision.

Is it better to buy a cheap piece of harware from a sweatshop in China and donate the saving to a charity that helps prevent blindness in third world kids, or should I give more money for a similar product to a huge multinational company which on paper claims it is doing the right thing for it's employess in the third world......I really don't know and work on a case by case basis.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

Proinsias wrote:Is it better to buy a cheap piece of harware from a sweatshop in China and donate the saving to a charity that helps prevent blindness in third world kids, or should I give more money for a similar product to a huge multinational company which on paper claims it is doing the right thing for it's employess in the third world......I really don't know and work on a case by case basis.
Hmmm... I don't believe for a moment that multinationals care about ethics. They say they do but a good return to shareholders is always most important. As for giving money to a cause you hold dear, by all means, do it!

On a lighter note,

Q:... Do you know why children in China don't believe in Santa Claus?

A:... Because Chinese children work in the factories where toys are made!

FL :lol:
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
Proinsias wrote:Is it better to buy a cheap piece of harware from a sweatshop in China and donate the saving to a charity that helps prevent blindness in third world kids, or should I give more money for a similar product to a huge multinational company which on paper claims it is doing the right thing for it's employess in the third world......I really don't know and work on a case by case basis.
Hmmm... I don't believe for a moment that multinationals care about ethics. They say they do but a good return to shareholders is always most important. As for giving money to a cause you hold dear, by all means, do it!

On a lighter note,

Q:... Do you know why children in China don't believe in Santa Claus?

A:... Because Chinese children work in the factories where toys are made!

FL :lol:
No belief in Santa Claus in China? Those poor children were deprived of a proper childhood!!! Maybe that's why Audie is so miserable!!
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

Go to "awesome Hong Kong christmas" on youtube and see who knows about santa claus
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

Three Chinese immigrants - Chu, Fu and Su - land in the USA. They decide to americanize their names to better integrate into American society. Chu now calls himself Chuck. Fu and Su decide to return to China.

FL :D

+ + +

+ + +
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Storyteller »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
Storyteller wrote:So we turn a blind eye to all that is wrong in the world because we can`t change it?Why can we not try and do both?
Did I say that we must turn a blind eye? What does the Bible say about helping those in need?

To clarify my position: it is impossible to make the world a better place, period. If that's your goal, you will fail miserably. Things are guaranteed to get worse. This holds true for the environment, for justice, for poverty, for wars, for diseases and all the other nasty things that news writers love to report on. There is a large & misguided segment of Christianity that thinks we are here to establish God's Kingdom on earth. Unfortunately, this goes against what is clearly written in the Scriptures.
Depends how you define failing miserably. If, through something I do, or don`t do, I help someone then I have made the world a better place. If I can help just one person I don`t see that as failing.
Audie wrote:The profound irresponsible selfishness of the viewpoint put forth there by FL is appalling.
Ignoramus! You have no clue about what I think because you never asked me! To paraphrase your own silliness, "You make up stuff about what you think I am and then you let your imagination run wild!"

Slavery will always exist and we in rich countries benefit from it immensely. We have a strong interest in maintaining the status quo. I always laugh at the silliness of humanist dreamers who think they can create a just world for all. :pound:

FL :D[/quote]
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

Storyteller wrote:Depends how you define failing miserably. If, through something I do, or don`t do, I help someone then I have made the world a better place. If I can help just one person I don`t see that as failing.
I'm looking at the Big Picture, you are looking at individual actions. We are not talking about the same thing at all.

Even with all the positive actions carried out by innumerable individuals, the world is still getting worse and worse. Read Daniel and Revelation in your Bible for confirmation.

FL y:-B

+ + +

+ + +