Why can`t I hear God?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
thesign
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Re: Why can`t I hear God?

Post by thesign »

RickD wrote:This question?
No. The one about escaping the Resurrection.
RickD wrote:But this just might take the cake.
1 Thess. 4:13-18 is clear that all who have slept in Christ shall be raised first. That none of them might ever find this forum, I'm not sure how to calculate such odds.
sincerely,
St. Elijah (cf. §784, Catholic Catechism),
St. John the Baptist (cf. §785, Catholic Catechism),
Edward Palamar (cf. §786, Catholic Catechism)
Petrus Romanus (Peter the Roman, cf. St. Malachy Prophecy)
the sign of the Son of Man in Heaven (Matt. 24:30)
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

thesign wrote:
RickD wrote:This question?
No. The one about escaping the Resurrection.
RickD wrote:But this just might take the cake.
1 Thess. 4:13-18 is clear that all who have slept in Christ shall be raised first. That none of them might ever find this forum, I'm not sure how to calculate such odds.
Maybe you should read the rest of 1Thessolians...

Those Who Died in Christ
13 But we do not want you to be uninformed, brethren, about those who are asleep, so that you will not grieve as do the rest who have no hope. 14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring with Him those who have fallen asleep in Jesus. 15 For this we say to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord, will not precede those who have fallen asleep. 16 For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. 17 Then we who are alive and remain will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we shall always be with the Lord. 18 Therefore comfort one another with these words.

UNTIL the coming of the Lord, they will remain asleep.
And He has NOT come yet because, well, according to Paul, in that very same passage, he will came in this fashion:

16 For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. 17 Then we who are alive and remain will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we shall always be with the Lord.

So, ALL those, alive and dead, will be with Christ.

So...
somebodyelse
Acquainted Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by somebodyelse »

I think this video will help you out.
Link deleted by moderator. We don't have time to watch youtube videos in order to approve posts.

God talks/communicates different ways with people. In Numbers God gets mad at Aaron & Miriam because they complain home God doesn't talk to them like he does with moses.

Now that doesn't excuse us being disobedient and as result could result God not talking to us. Just be happy with you have right now, but always seek more in a humble way. :)

"So you should earnestly desire the most helpful gifts. But now let me show you a way of life that is best of all. " - Paul in 1 Corinthians 12:31 (NLT)
thesign
Established Member

Post by thesign »

PaulSacramento wrote:Maybe you should read the rest of 1Thess ...

18 Therefore comfort one another with these words.

So...
That reading is regular in the Byzantine Rite for services for the deceased.

When I ascertained the counting of the 1,290 and 1,335 day periods of Daniel 12:11&12, I made another effort to put the Second Coming in terms of the Feast of Pentecost Sunday. It includes such reference to the living and the dead. I've added that explanation after the original post here :

http://discussions.godandscience.org/vi ... 12#p171912

But the 1,335th day is Ascension Sunday, May 8, 2016 A.D.

And rightfully, as it is the day that both the living and the dead shall be caught up in the air to be with the Lord unceasingly.

Being caught up in the air doesn't necessarily mean you will be floating aimlessly in the sky :

1 Corinthians 2:9
"Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God has prepared for them that love him."
sincerely,
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

thesign wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:Maybe you should read the rest of 1Thess ...

18 Therefore comfort one another with these words.

So...
That reading is regular in the Byzantine Rite for services for the deceased.

When I ascertained the counting of the 1,290 and 1,335 day periods of Daniel 12:11&12, I made another effort to put the Second Coming in terms of the Feast of Pentecost Sunday. It includes such reference to the living and the dead. I've added that explanation after the original post here :

http://discussions.godandscience.org/vi ... 12#p171912

But the 1,335th day is Ascension Sunday, May 8, 2016 A.D.

And rightfully, as it is the day that both the living and the dead shall be caught up in the air to be with the Lord unceasingly.

Being caught up in the air doesn't necessarily mean you will be floating aimlessly in the sky :

1 Corinthians 2:9
"Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God has prepared for them that love him."
And when May 8, 2016 comes and goes without a rapture, are you going to come here and repent for being a false prophet?

Oh wait...you just won't come back here, and we'll just have to think you were raptured, and the rest of us were left behind. :rotfl: :bouncy: :whee:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
thesign
Established Member

Post by thesign »

RickD wrote:And when May 8, 2016 comes and goes without a rapture,
I already am raptured.

So much for your theories.
sincerely,
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

While reading my coffee grinds this morning, God spoke to me and gave me this message for you:

In olden times, God spoke to us through signs & prophets. In recent times, God speaks to us through His Word - the Bible - and through the Holy Spirit living inside of every believer, guiding our thoughts & actions. If you regularly hear an audible messages from "God", seek medical help.

End of message.

FL y~o)
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:While reading my coffee grinds this morning, God spoke to me and gave me this message for you:

In olden times, God spoke to us through signs & prophets. In recent times, God speaks to us through His Word - the Bible - and through the Holy Spirit living inside of every believer, guiding our thoughts & actions. If you regularly hear an audible messages from "God", seek medical help.

End of message.

FL y~o)

Am I to assume you are paraphrasing Hebrews?
Because if you are, what it says is:

God, after He spoke long ago to the fathers in the prophets in many portions and in many ways, 2 in these last days has spoken to us in His Son, whom He appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the world.

No mention of the "bible" per say.

And as for the HS:

1John 2:
26 These things I have written to you concerning those who are trying to deceive you. 27 As for you, the anointing which you received from Him abides in you, and you have no need for anyone to teach you; but as His anointing teaches you about all things, and is true and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you abide in Him.

Here is a good article about the guidance of the HS:

http://www.gotquestions.org/guidance-Holy-Spirit.html

We need to remember one very crucial thing:
All through the NT was are told to LISTEN to Christ, that those that are His will KNOW His voice.

Now, the crucial element is HIS VOICE, not voices mind you, One Voice, HIS Voice and that voice is Our Inner voice, Our conscience as Paul states in Romans 9:1 and as John states in John 16:13
This doesn't mean a person doesn't it HEAR the voice of Christ/The HS but that it is an inner voice that no one else hears.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

PaulSacramento wrote:Am I to assume you are paraphrasing Hebrews?
No, I was reading my coffee grinds. :D
PaulSacramento wrote:This doesn't mean a person doesn't it HEAR the voice of Christ/The HS but that it is an inner voice that no one else hears.
Of course. This "inner voice" isn't an actual voice with sound (although it may be on rare occasions). Read this definition of Exhale:

...send out by exhaling : emit as if in breathing out : often used with out "breathing out his soul" ... to make manifest : EVINCE, SHOW "breathing the true spirit of his religion" -Merriam Webster

The above definition is the closest I can find to what happens to me when I follow the HS's guidance. I speak, am heard, and an answer is given but there is no sound from the HS.

There is so much foolishness in Christianity today, we don't need to be telling people that they ought to be audibly hearing God talking to them! God speaks to us through His Word, that much is clear. Any other forms of communication must not go against the Bible.

All in all, I agree with your post.

FL :amen:
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Some people say they actually hear a voice, a clear and definite voice of someone else.
I can't comment on that.

All I can say is that when I have heard His "voice" it isn't a voice per say, an audible voice in which I can distinguish tones and accent and so forth, as one would with any voice, but a "felling" of hearing, a "inner voice" that I recognized right away as a voice that had always been there, always been with me.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Storyteller »

PaulSacramento wrote:Some people say they actually hear a voice, a clear and definite voice of someone else.
I can't comment on that.

All I can say is that when I have heard His "voice" it isn't a voice per say, an audible voice in which I can distinguish tones and accent and so forth, as one would with any voice, but a "felling" of hearing, a "inner voice" that I recognized right away as a voice that had always been there, always been with me.
Same here. More of an understanding of what was being said than actually hearing an audible voice.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
thesign
Established Member

Post by thesign »

When I first came forth from my tomb unto breathing again, within what I would call a watch (the classical Roman watch of 3 hours), I was left on the small table in M-Odd block at CCP. I could here my inner voice yelling for some food as my mother and I were shot during the early part of her pregnancy term with me. Oddly enough, my next meal was from the barrel of a shotgun only minutes later after I heard my craving for further nourishment.

Sometimes you can't hear God because of loudmouths. (Yet, God is the cause of that, too.) But He's still everywhere, even in that great noise (violence) in which the heavens and earth are being replaced by the new. As St. Thomas Aquinas used motion to prove the existence of God, so could one champion everything that is heard, even if it silence.
sincerely,
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

thesign wrote:When I first came forth from my tomb unto breathing again, within what I would call a watch (the classical Roman watch of 3 hours), I was left on the small table in M-Odd block at CCP. I could here my inner voice yelling for some food as my mother and I were shot during the early part of her pregnancy term with me. Oddly enough, my next meal was from the barrel of a shotgun only minutes later after I heard my craving for further nourishment.

Sometimes you can't hear God because of loudmouths. (Yet, God is the cause of that, too.) But He's still everywhere, even in that great noise (violence) in which the heavens and earth are being replaced by the new. As St. Thomas Aquinas used motion to prove the existence of God, so could one champion everything that is heard, even if it silence.
As of the underlined, I thought I was the only one this happened to. I feel so much better, knowing I'm not the only one who was reincarnated. Now I feel comfortable telling you all that in a previous life, I was Luke Skywalker. But that was a really long time ago, in a galaxy pretty far away.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
EssentialSacrifice
Advanced Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by EssentialSacrifice »

But that was a really long time ago, in a galaxy pretty far away.
Funny cause thesigns of the times make it all seem much nearer y#-o :angeldevil: :cuckoo: as cocoapuffs.
Trust the past to God’s mercy, the present to God’s love, and the future to God’s providence. -St Augustine
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

This is the second time I reveal the following on this forum:

This is my 57th reincarnation. I have previously been a guard in Amenhotep's palace, an elephant in the Caprivi strip of Namibia, a spider (that was a short life) and an African woman befriended by the English explorer Mungo Park. Proinsias told me that Mungo was a Scotsman but Mungo himself said he was English. I'm confused. Why do men lie? I loved that white boy! I feel soooo betrayed! :crying:

FL y~o)

+ + +

+ + +