Catholicism

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Catholicism

Post by Storyteller »

Have started this here so we don`t totally derail Bippy`s thread!

I have no particular denomination, I am still exploring.

I have chatted with a Catholic and I really like some of the ideas behind it. I am NOT saying that Mary is somehow "above" God or Christ. All I am saying is that through Her I relate better to Christ. I like the mysteries, they are NOT a substitute for prayer and I don`t find them repetitive, they are more of a reflection on my feelings. Most of them are backed up scripturally (there is a link, will look it out) and that I like the idea of having a Rosary.

I am interested in the history of the Catholic church, but I am interested in a lot of other things too, I like finding out about stuff and I honestly believe that the Holy Spirit will guide me in the right direction.

I find the Mysteries easier to relate to, and to feel than the Bible at the moment and I am discovering that the Mysteries help me understand the Bible better.

Yes, I am happy to acknowledge Mary, and to offer Her my thanks, She is not a substitute for God. Or Christ.

I have been led this far.

I trust God.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
Rob
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Re: Catholicism

Post by Rob »

Give all glory to God. I don't believe Mary can hear our prayers because if she could she'd be grieved since she was a very godly woman. We are not to try and communicate with the dead, whether they be in heaven or not.

Bringing my questions from Bippy's thread here:
Storyteller wrote: How, if Mary wasn`t sinless, could Christ have been born to Her? For me, and it is a personal thing, Mary is an important part of faith for me. She allows me access to God from a woman`s, and a mother`s point of view.
So was Mary's mother sinless? And her mother? And her mother? If you think that the sinless bit had to start with Mary, why couldn't it have started with Christ instead?
Storyteller wrote: It was Mary`s yes that allowed all this to happen so I think she is a vital part of my faith.
Why not give the glory to God completely? There are plenty of people and things that "allowed" the prophecy to unfold. Pilate allowed the crucifixion to happen which "caused" the atonement.
Storyteller wrote: I find the Mysteries easier to relate to, and to feel than the Bible at the moment and I am discovering that the Mysteries help me understand the Bible better.
That's kind of a red flag. Be careful about relying on what you feel too much.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No

Post by Storyteller »

Need to think this through before I reply Rob.

I think I`ve done a really bad job explaining some stuff.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Storyteller wrote:Have started this here so we don`t totally derail Bippy`s thread!

I have no particular denomination, I am still exploring.

I have chatted with a Catholic and I really like some of the ideas behind it. I am NOT saying that Mary is somehow "above" God or Christ. All I am saying is that through Her I relate better to Christ. I like the mysteries, they are NOT a substitute for prayer and I don`t find them repetitive, they are more of a reflection on my feelings. Most of them are backed up scripturally (there is a link, will look it out) and that I like the idea of having a Rosary.

I am interested in the history of the Catholic church, but I am interested in a lot of other things too, I like finding out about stuff and I honestly believe that the Holy Spirit will guide me in the right direction.

I find the Mysteries easier to relate to, and to feel than the Bible at the moment and I am discovering that the Mysteries help me understand the Bible better.

Yes, I am happy to acknowledge Mary, and to offer Her my thanks, She is not a substitute for God. Or Christ.

I have been led this far.

I trust God.
Annette,
I think Byblos would understand what you're saying. He and I have had discussions about Catholicism in the past, and he's a good person to pm if you have any questions about the denomination.
I've also made it pretty clear, that there are some things regarding Catholicism that really trouble me. With that said, I've known some catholics who really love Christ. Byblos and Bippy are two that come to mind here.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

I am closer to being catholic ( old catholic not Roman, though not as liberal as some old catholics) than any other denomination.
I don't regard Mary as being anymore than the Mother of Christ, of course that IS saying A LOT.
I don't pray to anyone other than Christ and Our Father simply because that is what feels right to me.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

PaulSacramento wrote:I am closer to being catholic ( old catholic not Roman, though not as liberal as some old catholics) than any other denomination.
I don't regard Mary as being anymore than the Mother of Christ, of course that IS saying A LOT.
I don't pray to anyone other than Christ and Our Father simply because that is what feels right to me.
I always thought there was something a little "off" with you. And up until now, I couldn't quite put my finger on what it was.

Now I know. :mrgreen:
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

I am no ones judge and I do not judge people,I judge the doctrine of denominations and Catholicism has the most doctrines of men in it than any other Christian denomination and I do not go by doctrines of men in any denomination,I go by the bible,doctrines of man and not of God are what I do not like and you can find them in every denomination but you find the most in Catholicism.I would stop praying to Mary and never pray to her again because she cannot hear or answer your prayers.Also avoid vain and repetition type prayer Jesus warned about it.

This is one reason my advice to you was to read the bible and go by it.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

If you travel to The Vatican, you can buy a rosary that has been blessed by the Pope. From London, you could travel to Rome in half a day with one of those budget airlines.

You could leave London at by mid-morning, buy your rosary and be back home in time to watch Graham Norton...

FL :samen:
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Storyteller wrote:I have no particular denomination, I am still exploring.
I have no particular denomination either. (John 10:27)

God uses many for good. What is man made however is imperfect.

We're living in a society at a particular time in history where apparently we're all much more civilised within Christendom.
But, things haven't always been so pretty. One can read some history to see that things were very messy.
Those who disagreed were put to death by the church, or killed in mob-like warfare.
Many associated with this or that church committed many evils.

So Christ-like you see. So why place any denomination on a pedestal? Just keep Christ there.

Still, if you find a church that you like, that you feel like you can actually spiritually grow and learn from, and get to meet many godly people, then why not join it?
Do be careful though. You don't want to end up in a cult, and there are even many cult-like churches. A safe church is one where you can grow spiritually in Christ without feeling like you're in shackles and chains or that people are trying to bind you. You're free to think and be yourself.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
melanie
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by melanie »

I have known some wonderful Catholics. First on my list was my year 4 teacher, Sister Catherine. Adored that lady, she was beautiful in every way.
I was baptised Lutheran, all my family on the Finnish side are Lutheran, I went through Catholic schooling, because of my dance background I was given the role of making up the liturgical dances. Even though I could not partake in communion or the sacraments, I had a special role and absolutely loved dancing at mass, I felt close to God. I went to The Church of England Sunday school and youth group. When I visited my nan and pa I would go with them to the Assemblies of God church, and also attended the Seventh Day Adventist a few times. I was married in an Anglican Church, then as a young adult frequented Baptist Churches and Presbyterian denominations.
Now I consider myself non-denominational. I no longer attend a 'church' but I absolutely consider myself part of 'the body of Christ'. I don't want to be under the shackles of a particular denomination, or church doctrine. Christ has set me free. I feel much closer to God out of the 'church' than I ever did a part of it. I find too much hypocrisy and legality within the 'church'. But that is my path, everyone is different. That could change for me down the road, I am open to where ever God leads me. But I am sceptical of religious indoctrination, Jesus came here to break down the legalistic pharisean way of worshipping God. He brought the New Covenant, where faith and love sets us free and unites his flock together.
Last edited by melanie on Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Mel,

I'm pretty sure that "non-denominational" IS a denomination. :lol:

-Edward R Murrow

melanie
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by melanie »

RickD wrote:Mel,

I'm pretty sure that "non-denominational" IS a denomination. :lol:
Then I'm non non-denominational?? :mrgreen:
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

melanie wrote: I could not partake in communion or the sacraments [in a Catholic Mass]
When you go to Mass now, do you commune? I do.

FL :D
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

As a Christian it is possible to go to church and not let the doctrines of men effect you as a Christian,once I discovered doctrines of men I did not stop going to church I just did not let them effect me.I don't want to come off as anti a church because church has been more good for me than bad I just had to realize there is no perfect church and you don't have to let the doctrines of men effect you as a Christian.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

abelcainsbrother wrote:As a Christian it is possible to go to church and not let the doctrines of men effect you as a Christian,once I discovered doctrines of men I did not stop going to church I just did not let them effect me.I don't want to come off as anti a church because church has been more good for me than bad I just had to realize there is no perfect church and you don't have to let the doctrines of men effect you as a Christian.
I used to let doctrines of men affect me. But then I stopped believing in the Gap Theory. :mrgreen:

-Edward R Murrow