Eternal Security...(Revised May 2015)

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Eternal Security...

Post by Storyteller »

That could mean in Heaven though.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
jpbg33
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Post by jpbg33 »

That couldn't be talking about people in heaven. It was just saying that people that are going around sinning that they are not Christians.
Rob
Valued Member

Post by Rob »

jpbg33 wrote:That couldn't be talking about people in heaven. It was just saying that people that are going around sinning that they are not Christians.
So, according to your interpretation of 1 John, every time you sin then you are not saved?
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

That's your interpretation of it.

So you're saying that if you are a Christian you don't sin? Sorry but we wil al sin. We are not God and only God does not sin.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

jpbg33 wrote:One place is here "1 John 3:6 Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him. ".
If that means that Christians don't sin, then how do you explain the contradiction with 1 John 1:8-9?

8 If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
jpbg33

Post by jpbg33 »

You can look at this way to why should we confess our sins if he is going to forgive them any ways. That verse is another reason I think it is possible to backslide. I do think that we make mistakes as Christians but the attitude that it doesn't matter is what I believe a real Christian will not have. Will be trying to living right because he loves God.
Last edited by jpbg33 on Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

jpbg33 wrote:You can look at this way to why should we confess our sins if he is going to forgive them any ways. That verse is another reason I think it is possible to backslide.
I agree that believers can and do backslide. But backsliding is not the same as losing salvation.

And, you didn't tell me how you reconcile the contradiction. Any answer?
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Rob
Valued Member

Post by Rob »

jpbg33 wrote:You can look at this way to why should we confess our sins if he is going to forgive them any ways. That verse is another reason I think it is possible to backslide.
And does backsliding cause Him to lose you or were you never given to Him in the first place if you backslide?
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

jpbg33 wrote:You can look at this way to why should we confess our sins if he is going to forgive them any ways. That verse is another reason I think it is possible to backslide. I do think that we make mistakes as Christians but the attitude that it doesn't matter is what I believe a real Christian will not have. Will be trying to living right because he loves God.
By confessing our sin we asking for forgiveness. We have to ask Him to firgive us, He does nothing uninvited.

Nobody is saying when we sin it doesn't matter merely that we are forgiven and cannot lose salvation if we trust Christ.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

jpbg33 wrote:You can look at this way to why should we confess our sins if he is going to forgive them any ways. That verse is another reason I think it is possible to backslide. I do think that we make mistakes as Christians but the attitude that it doesn't matter is what I believe a real Christian will not have. Will be trying to living right because he loves God.
Answer this question. And you don't have to post the answer here. Just ask yourself. Are you trying to live right every moment of every day? Be honest. If not, then by your definition, you are not saved.

-Edward R Murrow

jpbg33

Post by jpbg33 »

I Think it is like the prodigal son when he asked his Father for all that was to be his and walked away. He had free will so the Father let him go. The Father didn't get him out of the pig pin he got up him self and went back to the Father who was waiting for him at the Fathers house. If he would have died in the pig pin he would have never made it back to the Fathers house.
jpbg33

Post by jpbg33 »

If we do not care what he think and are not trying to pleas him then why would care about his forgiveness.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

Is that not a parable, to demonstrate a point? The point being rejoicing in those that return.

Nobody is saying they don't care or that they don't try. We sre saying our actions and deds do not save us.
jpbg33

Post by jpbg33 »

That is exactly what I am saying it is not our work it is our faith but if we have faith we will have works because faith bringeth forth works and if we loose our faith then we will stop working. Not only are we not saved by works but we can not do works with out solvation.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

Not necessarily. We don't magically transform. All we can do is our bedt to follow Christ.
I disagree about works without salvation. I think there are people who try and live like Christ without necessarily being Christian.