Evidence for theistic evolution

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Audie
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: Evidence for theistic evolution

Post by Audie »

RickD wrote:
Audie wrote:
RickD wrote:Here Audie, I fixed it for you. Stop selling yourself short. You're much too intelligent to be an atheist. ;)
Audie wrote:
I know our gentle friend of the red sea chariots wont accept anything from no awful asian atheist agnostic...
I yam what I yam.

My Mom was an English professor, dont make me sic her on you.

As to the actual point of my post, do you feel anything one way or another
seeing a fellow Christian making a fool of himself and a mockery of the faith?
If I say something foolish, I only make myself look foolish. If I say something wrong about God or Christianity, it doesn't make God or Christianity look bad. It makes that false idea that I said look ridiculous though.

On the other hand, I am aware of how when Christians, including myself, say stupid things, it may turn a skeptic away from God even more. But if they were being honest, they'd realize that it's not God or even Christianity that looks foolish, it's just the person saying something foolish.
This is generally so. It kind of reaches a "critical mass" though when an outsider such as myself, disinclined as I am
to believe what looks to me like a buncha hooey no different from any other religion, when I see such a consistent pattern
of some or all of low education, gullibility / lack of skepticism, lack of critical thinking skill, unwillingness to do any due diligence, eagerness to embrace confirmation bias, no idea of how or where to do research etc...
it all adds up to making it look as if those are necessary qualities to buy into the religion.

They can tell me about their religious experiences and I will believe like I will their alien abduction stories.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

It's like watch a car crash....
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

RickD wrote:
Audie wrote:
jpbg33 wrote:just because it is real and you can't prove it wrong don't mean it is foolish to beleive
Look up "Red Sea chariots" in "Answers in Genesis".

Audie,

I beg of you. If you are at all open to the possibility that God exists, and Christianity is true, please do not get your info from Answers in Genesis. For someone with your scientific background, who places such a strong emphasis on science, Answers in Genesis is just going to drive you further away from believing in God. You will probably bypass all the good at their website, the info about the gospel, and just focus on what you see as ridiculousness in their scientific conclusions.
Nononono, you read me so wrong! AIG is more sane than some "creosites", but my thought was just, if even AIG says
its a hoax and says the bible counsels not to believe all things, our hero of the mythical wheels might take note.
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

PaulSacramento wrote:It's like watch a car crash....
Intriguing comment! Prease exprain?
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Audie wrote:
Its a horrific mess, you know nothing good will come of this, you know you should turn away, BUT something compels you to watch !

That is what threads like these are.
jpbg33

Post by jpbg33 »

that site didn't say that the wheels are not there they said they don't know if they are there or not big difference. one other thing show me one thing that is in the bible as truth that has been proven wrong I have not heard of anything that has, but I know that there has been things proven wrong in evolution. That's why the bible account in more superior then evolution.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

jpbg33 wrote:that site didn't say that the wheels are not there they said they don't know if they are there or not big difference. one other thing show me one thing that is in the bible as truth that has been proven wrong I have not heard of anything that has, but I know that there has been things proven wrong in evolution. That's why the bible account in more superior then evolution.
Its far easier and honest to say you don't understand what you read.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Audie wrote:
Audie, I see that when you get excited, you speak with more of a Chinese accent. :mrgreen:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

RickD wrote:
Audie wrote:
Audie, I see that when you get excited, you speak with more of a Chinese accent. :mrgreen:

Which is actually true. Then I notice it and then the feedback loop starts.
Rob
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Rob »

Audie wrote: This is generally so. It kind of reaches a "critical mass" though when an outsider such as myself, disinclined as I am
to believe what looks to me like a buncha hooey no different from any other religion, when I see such a consistent pattern
of some or all of low education, gullibility / lack of skepticism, lack of critical thinking skill, unwillingness to do any due diligence, eagerness to embrace confirmation bias, no idea of how or where to do research etc...
it all adds up to making it look as if those are necessary qualities to buy into the religion.

They can tell me about their religious experiences and I will believe like I will their alien abduction stories.
I don't even know what to say to this. I wrote a really long thing, then I deleted it.

I guess I'll just say "ouch" and move on.
jpbg33

Post by jpbg33 »

I know what I read they said they didn't think it was credible but they didn't say it was not right. They didn't know if it was or not.
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

Rob wrote:
Audie wrote: This is generally so. It kind of reaches a "critical mass" though when an outsider such as myself, disinclined as I am

I don't even know what to say to this. I wrote a really long thing, then I deleted it.

I guess I'll just say "ouch" and move on.
Just so you dont think Id say this of all Christians. What percent?
Distressingly high, probably.

Discredit Christianity? Of course not.

The testimony of such as one who's standards of evidence have them bitterly clinging
to a proven con-man's "wheels"? Evidentiary value, less than zero.

Nothing to say to him?
Rob
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Rob »

Audie wrote: Nothing to say to him?
Who, me?
Nothing really needs to be said for the most part other than what I have already. (And I'm already arguing with him in another thread)
It is clear that he is utterly unwilling to even consider looking at it from another angle, which is quite sad. If he wants to be that way, then fine- I just wish he'd keep it to himself.

P.S. I still like you (a lot) and I pray that you have a Damascus road experience at some point. I just hope it opens your eyes and you come to Him rather than check yourself into a sanitarium as many naturalists would recommend.
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

Rob wrote:
Audie wrote: Nothing to say to him?
Who, me?
Nothing really needs to be said for the most part other than what I have already. (And I'm already arguing with him in another thread)
It is clear that he is utterly unwilling to even consider looking at it from another angle, which is quite sad. If he wants to be that way, then fine- I just wish he'd keep it to himself.

P.S. I still like you (a lot) and I pray that you have a Damascus road experience at some point. I just hope it opens your eyes and you come to Him rather than check yourself into a sanitarium as many naturalists would recommend.
Good enough. I like you too.

Dont wish me that, though, I dont believe Saul for a minute. He was to Jesus as Brigham Young to J Smith, a cynical
exploiter and self seeker.

( oh and come now, "naturalist"? )
jpbg33

Post by jpbg33 »

The bible has never been proven wrong so stop replacing it with something that has been proven wrong mean times. if you wont to replace it you must prove it wrong first.