Why can`t I hear God?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Why can`t I hear God?

Post by Storyteller »

Okay, I definitely believe in God and accept Jesus as my Saviour but I do have doubts, tears and a lot of questions.

The thing I`m wrestling with at the moment is although I am totally convinced in my faith I don`t seem to be hearing God. I talk to Him all the time but I can`t hear Him!
Maybe I just haven`t learnt to listen properly or I`m missing something. I know He must be able to hear me and I ache for some clue that He is really listening.

Although I`m sincere in my beliefs I seem to lack the total conviction of committed Christians, is it possible that this is why I don`t seem to be having a personal relationship with God? Surely God wants us to question things?

When I chat to God I don`t say the things out loud, I`m figuring God knows what I`m thinking and He must know I`m talking to Him but maybe I need to say things out loud?

Any thoughts and guidance would be appreciated!
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Re: Why can`t I hear God?

Post by Silvertusk »

Storyteller wrote:Okay, I definitely believe in God and accept Jesus as my Saviour but I do have doubts, tears and a lot of questions.

The thing I`m wrestling with at the moment is although I am totally convinced in my faith I don`t seem to be hearing God. I talk to Him all the time but I can`t hear Him!
Maybe I just haven`t learnt to listen properly or I`m missing something. I know He must be able to hear me and I ache for some clue that He is really listening.

Although I`m sincere in my beliefs I seem to lack the total conviction of committed Christians, is it possible that this is why I don`t seem to be having a personal relationship with God? Surely God wants us to question things?

When I chat to God I don`t say the things out loud, I`m figuring God knows what I`m thinking and He must know I`m talking to Him but maybe I need to say things out loud?

Welcome to the forum Storyteller.

I have never heard an audible voice from God - but that does not mean he does not speak to us. Foremost he speaks to us through his Word. The Bible. Secondly he speaks to us through nature - just look around you.

Thirdly he speaks to us through his peace and assurance that he is with you,

Fourthly he speaks to us through answered prayer.

That is all I can offer for now.

God Bless
Silvertusk.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

Thanks Silvertusk :)

I feel close to God, when I'm walking in the woods or on the beach or at night watching the stars. I feel Him in the wind and when I look at my daughter. I just don't feel that I know him or that He is talking specifically to me if that makes sense.

I've read large parts of the Bible but I find it hard to take something personal from it.

I shall keep praying, reading, asking questions and listening.

God bless you too :)
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

May I ask: do you feel close to God when you read Bible, for example four gospels and there Jesus' words?
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Silvertusk
Board Moderator

Post by Silvertusk »

Storyteller wrote:Thanks Silvertusk :)

I feel close to God, when I'm walking in the woods or on the beach or at night watching the stars. I feel Him in the wind and when I look at my daughter. I just don't feel that I know him or that He is talking specifically to me if that makes sense.

I've read large parts of the Bible but I find it hard to take something personal from it.

Make sure you are reading the bible with a good commentary - or may i recommend the "...for everyone" series (replace the dots with a book of the new testament. By Tom Wright - they really bring the bible alive.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

1over137 wrote:May I ask: do you feel close to God when you read Bible, for example four gospels and there Jesus' words?
I probably feel closer to God on a windy night looking at the stars. When I read the Bible I guess I learn more about God but it doesn't feel as personal and no, I guess I don't really feel close to Him.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

Silvertusk wrote:
Storyteller wrote:Thanks Silvertusk :)

Make sure you are reading the bible with a good commentary - or may i recommend the "...for everyone" series (replace the dots with a book of the new testament. By Tom Wright - they really bring the bible alive.
Thanks for that Silvertusk! I'll try those.

I just have a NIV copy of the Bible, no comentary, maybe that's what's missing y:-?
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

For today, The Bible is God's method of communicating with us.
I do believe God also uses providence as well as other believers to speak into our lives, but it is difficult to establish any methods as to how this works. In this case we again need to go back to the word. It is without question that God wants us to know and discern His will. (Rom. 12:2, John 14:21)
If your expectations are to "hear" from God then you need to make sure that your expectations are in line with God's will. If they aren't then you will only end up frustrated and disappointed. Sound familiar. I can speak from experience. I have been blessed to see God's provision and direction as I have served in local ministry. Keep this in mind, when Jesus was on the Earth, He could rarely be found in the temple, but instead was out ministering in the highways and bi-ways. Find out where God is at work and get involved.

I would argue that you are hearing from God right now. God has allowed this futility which in turn has left you searching for answers. As far as vocalizing your prayers, God knows before you ask, so this is really for us and not for God. O
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Starhunter
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Starhunter »

It is just my opinion that the NIV is a false version. Time to change to the unchanged original the old King James, not the new KJ. You can only give it a try and see what happens.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

Hi jlay :)
I definitely think God steered me here. I don't go to church right now, although I have, I have yet to find one that I really feel at home in. I love churches and I love exploring my feelings about God but I tend to be a bit of a loner and I communicate wsy better online. Maybe this forum will be my church?
The futility point you makes puts a whole new slant on things for me, has given me food for thought, thank you!

Hi starhunter :)
I have a King James version in my shop, will root it out and see if it makes a difference.
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

This forum is a forum. Not church. But may be great start toward church.

(O, who am I to say this :( )

Jlay has said great thing. To involve oneself in a ministry.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
thesign
Established Member

Post by thesign »

Storyteller wrote:Although I`m sincere in my beliefs I seem to lack the total conviction of committed Christians, is it possible that this is why I don`t seem to be having a personal relationship with God? Surely God wants us to question things?

Total conviction? Currently, the United States of America, as a nation through its courts, hands out convictions against God, Heaven, and everything holy, righteous, and just - like they were toilet paper - and without any reverence for the Holy Spirit, Who does convict.

I question your use of conviction. If the Holy Spirit convicts me, I am guilty. If my fellow citizens hate and perjure against me, that is not a conviction. And when those same hateful perjurers use the word "conviction" to attempt to impress others that they are anything more than thieving, lying, murderers, they are merely weaving a tangled web of deceit.

The problem with democracy is that it can affect your thought concerning these things. It is a system of rule by people, not necessarily including our Creator and our God.

At 44 years of age, that is 44 years of such influence. People lying about what conviction really means, pretending to be God. The chastisement of 9-11-2001-ADP should have destroyed the entire nation for such outrage, yet God has been very merciful to the United States, and Israel.

Strength and conviction are two different things. Christians can have strength, but in the purity from Christ's Salvific work at Calvary, they can never be convicted.
sincerely,
St. Elijah (cf. §784, Catholic Catechism),
St. John the Baptist (cf. §785, Catholic Catechism),
Edward Palamar (cf. §786, Catholic Catechism)
Petrus Romanus (Peter the Roman, cf. St. Malachy Prophecy)
the sign of the Son of Man in Heaven (Matt. 24:30)
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Thesign,

The meaning of conviction that Storyteller was using, is:
: the feeling of being sure that what you believe or say is true.
And storyteller,

You don't need to read the KJV of the bible. If it works for you, and you can understand the language, then fine. What's best is finding a translation that's easy for you to read. Maybe check out the NASB(New American Standard Bible). Maybe try reading the translation online before you decide if you want to buy a bible.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

That is indeed what I meant Rick.

I'm still right at the beginning of my journey with God, and Christ. I have read, and will carry on reading, many books about what the Christian faith means, what it really means to follow Christ. No matter which way I look at it,how incredible and just so mind boggling, how unlikely it is, it HAS to be true! There is no other explanation.
I'm still trying to fully comprehend that.

I read 'Beyond Belief' by Peter Meadows. It blew me away, at last, someone talking my language.

I am embarking on something so joyful, so deep, so fascinating, so beautiful, it takes my breath away.

I feel, and this is where I'll struggle to explain, I feel slightly silly proclaiming my faith in Jesus and God, but how awesome to know that all I have to do is allow God into my heart and let Christ guide me?

I've been reading the thread about the Turin shroud and I'm hooked!
Sorry, I tend to goff on tangents all the time!

There is so, so much for me to learn. I am going to study the Bible :D

(I shall find the one that reads best for me)
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

Storyteller wrote:That is indeed what I meant Rick.

I'm still right at the beginning of my journey with God, and Christ. I have read, and will carry on reading, many books about what the Christian faith means, what it really means to follow Christ. No matter which way I look at it,how incredible and just so mind boggling, how unlikely it is, it HAS to be true! There is no other explanation.
I'm still trying to fully comprehend that.

I read 'Beyond Belief' by Peter Meadows. It blew me away, at last, someone talking my language.

I am embarking on something so joyful, so deep, so fascinating, so beautiful, it takes my breath away.

I feel, and this is where I'll struggle to explain, I feel slightly silly proclaiming my faith in Jesus and God, but how awesome to know that all I have to do is allow God into my heart and let Christ guide me?

I've been reading the thread about the Turin shroud and I'm hooked!
Sorry, I tend to goff on tangents all the time!

There is so, so much for me to learn. I am going to study the Bible :D

(I shall find the one that reads best for me)
I have always loved studying the bible and I think it is good you have decided to study it.But the bible is a very vast book covering many issues and I have learned over time it is important first to know and study the parts of the bible that deal with salvation,being born again and how to know what a true Christian is and to know and understand that we are saved by grace regardless of our performance because of what Jesus fulfilled and did for us,I see many Christians who think there performance is important,they think by doing good it makes them more saved,or they want to go back to the law and blend it with grace,you see the gospel -good news is too easy for religious people.Some of my favorite books of the bible to help us understand true salvation is the book of Hebrews,Galatians,Ephesians chapter 2 and Romans.

A lot of people think that we have to clean ourself up before we come to God but this is something nobody can do,and if we could God would not have had to send Jesus to live a perfect life for us,the bible tells us in Romans that the more your under the law,the more you actually sin than if you rely on God's grace,people have it backwards though because of what Jesus did we can confess our sins and come boldly to the throne of God through Jesus,not anything we've done.

I want you to find a good version of the song Amazing grace and look at the lyrics to it as you listen to it.And the song "Just as I am" too which was written by a former prostitute who finally came to Jesus.
Last edited by abelcainsbrother on Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.