The Rapture!

Discussions on Christian eschatology including different views pertaining to Jesus' second coming, rapture and tribulation, the millennium, and so forth.
Anonymous

The Rapture!

Post by Anonymous »

Hi I am a newbie here, just wondering about your thoughts on "the rapture theory" that is growing among evangelical christians.
RGeeB
Established Member
Christian: No

Post by RGeeB »

..and what is this theory?
Maranatha!
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Ethos, are you referring to the rapture as the Left Behind series would have it or...? All postions generally believe in some sort of rapture, the only question when and how it happens.

I found the following article by Dale Tooley to be enlightening with regards to this issue - Christian Rapture: When & How?

Kurieuo.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

I've read Revelations twice, and I'm still picking up tons of new stuff....which are quite strange. I'm going for Mid-trip until I'm given some verses that say otherwise. I'm aiming at that because of what God did in Egypt. The Jews had to endure only some of the plagues (the first ones I think)(except for the Passover of course) so I'm guessing Christians will get some of the tribulation (especially when two guys will be witnessing, killed by hideous monsters, and raised three days later).
Anonymous

Mid Trib?

Post by Anonymous »

The mid-trib orientation is wrong for a variety of reasons.

Matt 24:39-51 specifically, 24:39,50

If the rapture were mid trib, we would all know to look for it- and its obvious that that isn't what Jesus taught.

I can't find the passage right now (much too tired) where Jesus talks about how not even He knows when the rapture will be, but only the Father knows. That too would discredit the mid-trib theory.

check out the rapture ready website/board. That'll explain much better than I'm prepared to.
waynes world
Established Member

Post by waynes world »

That is also the same problem wit the post rib theory. There will be no surprize when Christ will come the whole world will see him and morn over him. And yet Christ will come as a theif in the night.
Iggy
Recognized Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Iggy »

you know, the word rapture is in the bible exactly ZERO times... why do people always try to add things to the bible?! like... mary is the mother of GOD, or what's this pergatory thing... people just keep making stuff up

sorry if i seem... i dunno, like a cry baby on alot of these posts... just very stressed.

i just dont see why so many "christians" are so dependant on something thats not even in the bible. i know the said "events" of the "rapture" are in there... but i think people might be either missing the point of the "rapture" theory or just not getting it at all. so someone is going to be talkin to Jesus and be like... "i knew the rapture would come..." and he'll be like "whats the rapture...???"

i dont know if im really getting out what im trying to say... it's been a long day.
waynes world
Established Member

Post by waynes world »

It doesn't matter if the word "rapture" is there or not, the point is that Christ will return for his saints in the clouds in 1 Thes 4.
IRQ Conflict
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by IRQ Conflict »

"Rapture" simply means "Caught up"

Act 8:39 And when they were come up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip, that the eunuch saw him no more: and he went on his way rejoicing.

2Co 12:2 I knew a man in Christ above fourteen years ago, (whether in the body, I cannot tell; or whether out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth;) such a one caught up to the third heaven.

2Co 12:4 How that he was caught up into paradise, and heard unspeakable words, which it is not lawful for a man to utter.

1Th 4:17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

Rev 12:5 And she brought forth a man child, who was to rule all nations with a rod of iron: and her child was caught up unto God, and to his throne.
Hellfire

1Ti 6:20 O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:
1Ti 6:21 Which some professing have erred concerning the faith. Grace be with thee. Amen.

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain
bizzt
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by bizzt »

Iggy wrote:you know, the word rapture is in the bible exactly ZERO times... why do people always try to add things to the bible?! like... mary is the mother of GOD, or what's this pergatory thing... people just keep making stuff up

sorry if i seem... i dunno, like a cry baby on alot of these posts... just very stressed.

i just dont see why so many "christians" are so dependant on something thats not even in the bible. i know the said "events" of the "rapture" are in there... but i think people might be either missing the point of the "rapture" theory or just not getting it at all. so someone is going to be talkin to Jesus and be like... "i knew the rapture would come..." and he'll be like "whats the rapture...???"

i dont know if im really getting out what im trying to say... it's been a long day.
Actually Mary is the Mother of GOD...
What is Rapture?
The state of being transported by a lofty emotion; ecstasy.
An expression of ecstatic feeling. Often used in the plural.
The transporting of a person from one place to another, especially to heaven.

So if this is what Rapture means to us then how does the Bible Fit when we try to Describe Rapture.

Is Homosexual in the Bible? No however Homosexual is a Man lusting after a Man. Does the Bible talk about this? YES. Just because the Word was not created to describe something back in biblical times does not mean the Action that is attributed to that Word is not there.
Iggy
Recognized Member

Post by Iggy »

ok, mary is not the mother of God, she gave birth to jesus... if your into the oneness thing i can see how one might thing that she's the mother of God. She's not a goddess. i dont think praying to her is rite, or praying to the saints for that matter. they cant really help ya and treating them as a god cant be a good thing.
bizzt
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by bizzt »

Iggy wrote:ok, mary is not the mother of God, she gave birth to jesus... if your into the oneness thing i can see how one might thing that she's the mother of God. She's not a goddess. i dont think praying to her is rite, or praying to the saints for that matter. they cant really help ya and treating them as a god cant be a good thing.
Hey No problem... But she is If Jesus is God and Mary is his Mother then pure deductions say Mary is the Mother of God. Get me :wink:
Iggy
Recognized Member

Post by Iggy »

but the bible doesnt say directly that jesus IS God. it says he's the SON of God. Jesus said "if you see me then you see the father" to me that's about his traits... through out the bible, you see that they talk about 2 different beings. Jesus will sit at the right hand of God the father. and lets say jesus IS God... who is he praying to? himself??? when i see God and Jesus, i see 2 different personalities... Jesus to me is more calm... God is quick to send a plague or something... i doubt anyone will even try to see my point, but thats ok... i know im going to be asked for some verses, and i dont know EXACT verses..... but i know if i discribe what the verse is, ya'll will know what im talkin about...

1. jesus takes the disiples on a mountain and the hear a loud bang (like thunder)and GOD says "this is my son which whom i am proud, listen to what he says..." that there says they are 2 different beings

2. Jesus says "no one knows the father without knowing me."

3. countless times jesus says "my father" he never said that HE IS GOD.
waynes world
Established Member

Post by waynes world »

Jesus said "I and my Father are one."
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

Iggy, I'm not too sure I'm following you. Are you a Trinitarian? Do you believe in the divinity of Christ at all? There are plenty of proof-texts, if you want to go that route . . . John 1:1 is the classic example . . .

BTW, as far as the whole "the word 'rapture' isn't found in the Bible" argument, IRQ pointed it out pretty well. But, to clarify, the word IS in the Bible. See the verses he mentioned. We get "rapture" from the Latin translation of those verses . . . everywhere you see "caught up," we could just as well translate that word "rapture."

After all, if you want to get REALLY technical, the words "Jesus," "God," and "Save" are never in the Bible either. Transliterated, we actually have Iesous, Theos, and Soze. It's all translations.

God bless
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.