Gospel Of Judas

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
JCSx2
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Gospel Of Judas

Post by JCSx2 »

Well what say you?

Real, fake? What's the opinion of other members?

I have no idea on this subject and would like some input.

I know that the Bible take precedence above all other written works. But it is a curiosity.

As far as I can tell from what I have read / heard it would only change opinion on the true motives and actions of Judas, he would no longer be a traitor but a person who sacrificed his future. His name has been associated with badness ever since his selling out Jesus.

It would not take away from the glory of God; just change our opinion of Judas from zero to hero.

Any input from others?

Also I am thinking about getting it to read.
Definition of a Veteran. A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including his life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.
Canuckster1127
Old School
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Gospel Of Judas

Post by Canuckster1127 »

JCSx2 wrote:Well what say you?

Real, fake? What's the opinion of other members?

I have no idea on this subject and would like some input.

I know that the Bible take precedence above all other written works. But it is a curiosity.

As far as I can tell from what I have read / heard it would only change opinion on the true motives and actions of Judas, he would no longer be a traitor but a person who sacrificed his future. His name has been associated with badness ever since his selling out Jesus.

It would not take away from the glory of God; just change our opinion of Judas from zero to hero.

Any input from others?

Also I am thinking about getting it to read.
It is a fairly typical gnostic gospel. Judas was actually a favorite of the Gnostics because since he was dead there was plenty of mystery surrounding him and little means to dispute it.

There's not a lot of textual value to it. National Geographic and Elaine Pagels group hyped it way beyond what it was due. The Gospel of Thomas actually had more value in the sense that any variant textual tradition being present on a case by base basis on each logian.

It's a curiosity. It won't take long to read. The hype focused on a few cryptic verses and ignored the rest of it because looking at the whole things takes it out of the realm of textual importance and that apparently wasn't the goal of the people trying to promote it.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
LittleHamster
Valued Member

Re: Gospel Of Judas

Post by LittleHamster »

Jesus doesn't give a good character assessment of Judas:-

Matthew 26:24 "The Son of Man will go just as it is written about him. But woe to that man who betrays the Son of Man! It would be better for him if he had not been born."

I was talking about Judas with my wife today. She says, "go have a read of the nag-hammadi texts" - we just happen to have a translation of them sitting on the book shelf.

I thought to myself, "I'll probably die of old age before getting through that book." y:O2

There are obviously some people that think Judas knew the plan and was secretly playing along with God's plan.

A lot of people think he was a tad wicked and so God cleverly made use of that wickedness to get Jesus handed over to the Romans.

I'll have to try and find the relevant passages in the nag-hammadi texts to see what that point of view is (just out of curiosity).

If anyone wants to read the texts, look at the codecies found in the wiki links at the bottom of the page here -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nag_Hammadi_library

Good Luck.
Has Liked: 1111 times
Been Liked: 1111 times