Atheist Jews

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
Lonewolf
Valued Member
Posts: 383
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:12 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided
Location: Southern California
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Atheist Jews

#1

Post by Lonewolf » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:44 pm

How can that be? Can they really be considered Jews? Or can Judaism be considered as the historic culture of the Hebrew people, and religion is only one part of that culture, therefore belief in (a) God is not necessary?
Your outward profession of having put on Christ, has as yet to put off Plato from your heart!

Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member
Posts: 1046
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:48 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Atheist Jews

#2

Post by Ivellious » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:01 pm

There is both a religion called Judaism and a racial group that is called Jewish. Obviously the two are historically and culturally linked, but being part of the Jewish race is different from being part of the Jewish faith. Many people who are Jewish by race choose not to follow the Jewish religion, and could be anything from an atheist or agnostic to a Christian.

I admit, I have incorrectly assumed that people who are from Jewish families are all practicing members of the Jewish faith, but it is not always the case.

Lonewolf
Valued Member
Posts: 383
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:12 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided
Location: Southern California
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Atheist Jews

#3

Post by Lonewolf » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:11 pm

Yeah, I have come to find out so myself about Judaism in this modern era. I have heard of Judaism being referred as a race, but are they so their own race? Why are they called a "race?"
Your outward profession of having put on Christ, has as yet to put off Plato from your heart!

User avatar
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3295
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 6:55 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist
Location: Lower Canuckistan
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 34 times

Re: Atheist Jews

#4

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:24 pm

Lonewolf wrote:Yeah, I have come to find out so myself about Judaism in this modern era. I have heard of Judaism being referred as a race, but are they so their own race? Why are they called a "race?"
They are a race unto themselves. Read your Bible: God took them to be a people unto Himself. It is very bad for a Jew to marry a non-Jew. Even in a Messianic synagogue where Jews & Gentiles mix, the Jews are encouraged to marry other Jews.

If a non-Jew wants to marry a Jew, he/she is strongly encouraged to convert. In Messianic Judaism this is more problematic because all members of the congregation have Jesus as Messiah. But still, Messianic Jews are encouraged to marry other Jews so that the traditions are kept alive.

FL :teacher:
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Posts: 8977
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:29 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution
Location: Ontario, Canada
Has liked: 117 times
Been liked: 335 times

Re: Atheist Jews

#5

Post by PaulSacramento » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:25 am

A race is a group of persons related by common descent or heredity.


noun
1.
a group of persons related by common descent or heredity.
2.
a population so related.
3.
Anthropology.
(no longer in technical use) any of the traditional divisions of humankind, the commonest being the Caucasian, Mongoloid, and Negro, characterized by supposedly distinctive and universal physical characteristics.
an arbitrary classification of modern humans, sometimes, especially formerly, based on any or a combination of various physical characteristics, as skin color, facial form, or eye shape, and now frequently based on such genetic markers as blood groups.
a human population partially isolated reproductively from other populations, whose members share a greater degree of physical and genetic similarity with one another than with other humans.
4.
a group of tribes or peoples forming an ethnic stock:
the Slavic race.
5.
any people united by common history, language, cultural traits, etc.:
the Dutch race.
6.
the human race or family; humankind:
Nuclear weapons pose a threat to the race.
7.
Zoology. a variety; subspecies.

Lonewolf
Valued Member
Posts: 383
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:12 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided
Location: Southern California
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Atheist Jews

#6

Post by Lonewolf » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:41 am

.so if the Jews (Israelite/Hebrews) can be considered a race unto themselves, and if they follow the Adamic race lineage., then what are we (the rest of the races of the world)? Where do we come from?
Your outward profession of having put on Christ, has as yet to put off Plato from your heart!

User avatar
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3295
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 6:55 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist
Location: Lower Canuckistan
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 34 times

Re: Atheist Jews

#7

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:22 pm

Lonewolf wrote:.so if the Jews (Israelite/Hebrews) can be considered a race unto themselves, and if they follow the Adamic race lineage., then what are we (the rest of the races of the world)? Where do we come from?
There is no such thing as an Adamic race...all who came from Adam were human. The Jews descend from the line of Shem, more specifically from Jacob. The rest of the races descend from Ham and Japheth. You can read the story in Genesis, chapters 5 to 10.

Another thing: I am giving you the strictly biblical answer to your question whereas PaulSacramento is mixing & matching biblical with secular answers. Stick with one or the other or you'll get confused.

FL :D
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +

Lonewolf
Valued Member
Posts: 383
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:12 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided
Location: Southern California
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Atheist Jews

#8

Post by Lonewolf » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:09 am

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
There is no such thing as an Adamic race...all who came from Adam were human. The Jews descend from the line of Shem, more specifically from Jacob. The rest of the races descend from Ham and Japheth. You can read the story in Genesis, chapters 5 to 10.

Another thing: I am giving you the strictly biblical answer to your question whereas PaulSacramento is mixing & matching biblical with secular answers. Stick with one or the other or you'll get confused.

FL :D
So the rest of us who are of non-Jew bloodline are either Hamsters or Japhites, right?

So where do the Chinese and Negros come from? Since I assume, Hamsters and Japhites were Caucasian :scratch: No?
Your outward profession of having put on Christ, has as yet to put off Plato from your heart!

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Posts: 8977
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:29 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution
Location: Ontario, Canada
Has liked: 117 times
Been liked: 335 times

Re: Atheist Jews

#9

Post by PaulSacramento » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:21 am

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
Lonewolf wrote:.so if the Jews (Israelite/Hebrews) can be considered a race unto themselves, and if they follow the Adamic race lineage., then what are we (the rest of the races of the world)? Where do we come from?
There is no such thing as an Adamic race...all who came from Adam were human. The Jews descend from the line of Shem, more specifically from Jacob. The rest of the races descend from Ham and Japheth. You can read the story in Genesis, chapters 5 to 10.

Another thing: I am giving you the strictly biblical answer to your question whereas PaulSacramento is mixing & matching biblical with secular answers. Stick with one or the other or you'll get confused.

FL :D
Not to nitpick but I just gave the definition of the term "race", that's all.
I have noticed that many times people THINK they know what a word means but don't realize that it may mean more/other than that.
Race is an example of that.

User avatar
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3295
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 6:55 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist
Location: Lower Canuckistan
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 34 times

Re: Atheist Jews

#10

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:44 pm

Lonewolf wrote:So the rest of us who are of non-Jew bloodline are either Hamsters or Japhites, right?
I'm not sure. Not all descendants of Shem became Israelites. Only those Shemites descended from Jacob are Israelites.
Lonewolf wrote:So where do the Chinese and Negros come from? Since I assume, Hamsters and Japhites were Caucasian No?
Japheth and his descendants eventually settled north of the Promised Land. Hamites are usually associated with more southern peoples. Shemites settled south and south east . The Bible isn't entirely clear on this, so it is all speculation. What God wanted us to know about Noah's sons can be found in the Table of the Nations in Genesis 10. The areas of settlement of the sons of Noah and their descendants can be inferred from the place names given in Genesis 10. (You'll need a Bible dictionary to identify many of those places.)
PaulSacramento wrote:Not to nitpick but I just gave the definition of the term "race", that's all.I have noticed that many times people THINK they know what a word means but don't realize that it may mean more/other than that.


Ok by me.

FL :D
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +

Lonewolf
Valued Member
Posts: 383
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:12 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided
Location: Southern California
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Atheist Jews

#11

Post by Lonewolf » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:41 pm

I thinking more and more that Darwin did have it right after all ~> in terms of evolution of the species.
Your outward profession of having put on Christ, has as yet to put off Plato from your heart!

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 20920
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kitchen
Has liked: 190 times
Been liked: 1039 times

Re: Atheist Jews

#12

Post by RickD » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:39 am

Lonewolf wrote:I thinking more and more that Darwin did have it right after all ~> in terms of evolution of the species.
You and Darwin are :fruitcake:s. :mrgreen:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

Kenny wrote:
"You don’t need faith, logic, reason, proof, or anything else to be atheist, all you need to do is reject what someone told you."



St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

User avatar
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3295
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 6:55 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist
Location: Lower Canuckistan
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 34 times

Re: Atheist Jews

#13

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:41 am

Lonewolf wrote:I thinking more and more that Darwin did have it right after all ~> in terms of evolution of the species.
Ask me if I care. Go ahead, ask me!

FL :D
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +

Lonewolf
Valued Member
Posts: 383
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:12 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided
Location: Southern California
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Atheist Jews

#14

Post by Lonewolf » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:04 am

well i haven't read any real explanation as to why the chinky eyes, the skin pigmentation, the bushy hair and eyebrows, on an on
Your outward profession of having put on Christ, has as yet to put off Plato from your heart!

User avatar
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3295
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 6:55 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist
Location: Lower Canuckistan
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 34 times

Re: Atheist Jews

#15

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:16 am

Lonewolf wrote:well i haven't read any real explanation as to why the chinky eyes, the skin pigmentation, the bushy hair and eyebrows, on an on
There is nothing in the Bible about that, so believe whatever secular theory you want to believe about race. Or make up your own.

FL :amen:
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +

Post Reply