Speaking in Tongues

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Lonewolf
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Speaking in Tongues

Post by Lonewolf »

Is there already a topic on "speaking in tongues" ., if so, point me in that direction.

But if there is not, can we talk about it here?

Does tongues necessarily mean 'speaking a different language" such as per say French, English, Spanish or Italian?

Do you believe that that still occurs in the congregations?

Or can/does speaking in tongues could also be understood as the speech of Christians, as opposed to speaking like the world does?
Your outward profession of having put on Christ, has as yet to put off Plato from your heart!
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Speaking in Tongues

Post by RickD »

John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Olomphanat shanana Elnamerta shlof! Beeronhafaz kadefut bakat...neehiut! Alafaloot, henaz? Gaconameth naya mayam.

Kakenoothimat berkanesh!

FL :incense:
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

I think this gift is still given to believers and I also think its abused, faked a lot.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

Lonewolf wrote:Does tongues necessarily mean 'speaking a different language" such as per say French, English, Spanish or Italian?
Si: una idioma desconocida del hablante mismo, pero que los demas entienden. Asi es en las Escrituras. Lo que pasa con ''lenguas'' hoy es pura tonteria.

FL t<):)
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Lonewolf
Valued Member

Post by Lonewolf »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
Lonewolf wrote:Does tongues necessarily mean 'speaking a different language" such as per say French, English, Spanish or Italian?
Si: una idioma desconocida del hablante mismo, pero que los demas entienden. Asi es en las Escrituras. Lo que pasa con ''lenguas'' hoy es pura tonteria.

What? What language is that ^ ^ sounds like european spanish or something like that., maybe it's spanish as a second language :pound:
Your outward profession of having put on Christ, has as yet to put off Plato from your heart!
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

European Spanish! :pound: Is that like your Mexican Catholicism?!

FL y:-?

+ + +

+ + +
Lonewolf
Valued Member

Post by Lonewolf »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:European Spanish! :pound: Is that like your Mexican Catholicism?!

FL y:-?
in way, yes it is., i can understand you, but you're not really from here., therefore you really don't speak our language, neither does your catholic'ism' really fit in "unchanged" within our spirituality., for lack of a better way of putting it!!!

Btw., I like your sense of humor and way of looking at things., from a certain perspective, of course., but not in its entirety ~> my G&S on-line friend., wink.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

Lonewolf wrote:Btw., I like your sense of humor and way of looking at things., from a certain perspective, of course., but not in its entirety
Is Chicano like New York Spanish where every third word is English or a Spanish form of English? In other words, is Chicano a West Coast version of Spanglish?

Anyway, as for Tongues, such ''performances'' are popular in today's church which seems to value emotional experiences over solid teaching.

FL :cheers:

+ + +

+ + +
Lonewolf
Valued Member

Post by Lonewolf »

Lonewolf wrote:Btw., I like your sense of humor and way of looking at things., from a certain perspective, of course., but not in its entirety
Is Chicano like New York Spanish where every third word is English or a Spanish form of English? In other words, is Chicano a West Coast version of Spanglish?

Anyway, as for Tongues, such ''performances'' are popular in today's church which seems to value emotional experiences over solid teaching.

FL :cheers:

Actually Chicano talk pre-dates Spanglish, and although spanglish can be part of the communication going on between chicanos, it is however a whole diff language which even Mexicans can't understand many a time., much less the gringos., wink
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

Lonewolf wrote:Actually Chicano talk pre-dates Spanglish, and although spanglish can be part of the communication going on between chicanos, it is however a whole diff language which even Mexicans can't understand many a time., much less the gringos., wink
Okayyyyy...Like, do jew tok chicano weet jore weemin?

+ + +

+ + +
Lonewolf
Valued Member

Post by Lonewolf »

Lonewolf wrote:Actually Chicano talk pre-dates Spanglish, and although spanglish can be part of the communication going on between chicanos, it is however a whole diff language which even Mexicans can't understand many a time., much less the gringos., wink
Okayyyyy...Like, do jew tok chicano weet jore weemin?

that's wetback talk you're talking about., but alright, we're not getting anywhere on this., so let's get back to the topic
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

Yes, as long as you don't understand the language you are speaking but your hearers do.

For example, if you can't speak Swahili but start evangelizing in Kenya and your Swahili-speaking audience hears you in their language, you are truly speaking Tongues. In the Bible, tongues are clearly a language which the speaker does not understand but that his audience does, and this for the purpose of evangelizing. Modern ''tongues'' are just the opposite: the speaker claims to understand but the audience hears gibberish.
neo-x wrote:I think this gift is still given to believers and I also think its abused, faked a lot.
A well-known American evangelist - who is very old - witnessed true tongues only once, in Scandinavia. So, tongues may be still around but I doubt it is common. What passes as tongues now is bunk. You can bet a years' pay on that.

FL y$-)

+ + +

+ + +
Lonewolf
Valued Member

Post by Lonewolf »

How old were you when you lived in Scandinavia, FL? :mrgreen:

The Lord Jesus spoke only once about speaking with other tongues
That certain passage is at the end of the Gospel of Mark and it says:

Afterward He appeared to the eleven themselves as they were reclining at the table; and He reproached them for their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they had not believed those who had seen Him after He had risen. And He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation. He who has believed and has been baptized shall be saved; but he who has disbelieved shall be condemned. These signs will accompany those who have believed: in My name they will cast out demons, they will speak with new tongues; they will pick up serpents, and if they drink any deadly poison, it will not hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover.” So then, when the Lord Jesus had spoken to them, He was received up into heaven and sat down at the right hand of God. And they went out and preached everywhere, while the Lord worked with them, and confirmed the word by the signs that followed. Amen. (The Gospel of Mark 16:14–20)
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

Cherry picking verses to support a position is common. I've even heard Christians defending reincarnation :pound: so anything is possible if you are ignorant enough.

Listen, if you want to blabber like an idiot and convince yourself you are praying in a divine language, be my guest.

FL :D

+ + +

+ + +