It’s history, not science

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Revolutionary
Established Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male

Re: It’s history, not science

Post by Revolutionary »

Clue in the eternal nothingness.... void, empty space.... Byblos is about to talk.....
Byblos
Old School
Christian: Yes

Post by Byblos »

Revolutionary wrote:Clue in the eternal nothingness.... void, empty space.... Byblos is about to talk.....
:pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound:

You made a funny rev, I didn't think you had it in you, with all that mumbo-jumbo, purely faith-based (and no-doubt chemically-induced) imagination of yours. Careful though, it may well turn out all that empty space is confined between your ears, which would make it a closed system and, therefore, subject to the second law of thermodynamics. You know, nothing is lost, nothing is gained?

Really, rev, it takes a whole lot more faith (not to mention be completely devoid of reason and science) to believe in the drivel you advocate. We've been around this rodeo before :beat:
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Revolutionary
Established Member

Post by Revolutionary »

Try something Byblos, just once try something..... Respond to anything I said without making a mockery out of yourself with simplistic generalizations.

I said nothing of what I believe, I actually simply gave a way out to believing in young earth genesis drivel.

So tell me, do you understand that if God created everything, that there was eternal nothingness before doing so?.... I know it's simple logic which you struggle with but really!
Or did God create himself out of nothingness so that he wasn't exiting in such an eternal state? :roll:

Address the question or demonstrate your failure, that is all!

ETERNAL NOTHINGNESS!
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Gentlemen, keep it civil and do not make it personal.
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Revolutionary wrote:Try something Byblos, just once try something..... Respond to anything I said without making a mockery out of yourself with simplistic generalizations.

I said nothing of what I believe, I actually simply gave a way out to believing in young earth genesis drivel.

So tell me, do you understand that if God created everything, that there was eternal nothingness before doing so?.... I know it's simple logic which you struggle with but really!
Or did God create himself out of nothingness so that he wasn't exiting in such an eternal state? :roll:

Address the question or demonstrate your failure, that is all!

ETERNAL NOTHINGNESS!
Rev we've had this conversation before. No one is advocating eternal nothingness other than you and that is simply because you believe the material is all there is (in all its beauty and so forth). Except reason (i.e. philosophy) is not on your side and neither is science. Contingent matter, in any form, is just that, contingent. That does not mean there was eternal nothingness; that's a false dilemma you are presenting because you do not believe in the immaterial. And a necessary, eternal, immaterial being is the only logical conclusion to bring about contingent matter. So please quit with the 'eternal nothingness' mantra, only you believe it.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Revolutionary
Established Member

Post by Revolutionary »

If creating the universe was so meaningful to God and the humans he created it for, if there was even a smidgen of purpose to having done so... You would think such a brilliant being would have thought to do so an eternity ago, or perhaps even an eternity before that.... :lol:

It's not enough that simplistic beliefs make foolish minds, those minds in turn want to make something that is supposed to be brilliant beyond comprehension seem utterly foolish.... Really was God just too busy being eternal?.... Do you ever stop and think that it seems foolish (if you actually use your brain and think about it), because it is actually primitive minds that conceptualized the entire thing?
Revolutionary
Established Member

Post by Revolutionary »

You're like a broken record that makes the single "chirp" incessant sound..... Seriously Byblos, say something thought provoking to try and explain it, anything!
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Revolutionary, may I ask WHY are you here on this forum?
Revolutionary
Established Member

Post by Revolutionary »

PaulSacramento wrote:Revolutionary, may I ask WHY are you here on this forum?
To expand minds
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Revolutionary wrote:
To expand minds
Now that is even funnier than the first. You're on a roll rev. :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound:

Revolutionary
Established Member

Post by Revolutionary »

Immaterial is a convenient word that we made up simply to give extraneous meaning to nothingness/void....
How does one understand the emotion of love without there being anything in order to experience it? It's an impossibility!
Try it, there is nothing but you in a formless immaterial state.... There is no light and no darkness, no material and no artistry beyond imagining how it might have form.
How does one understand beauty without any sort of tangible experience in order to reflect?
How does one understand creativity without any medium?

It boggles the mind that people have the desire to make a being so powerful that "he" created everything, that they place him in an eternal formless void before doing so.... How exciting huh?

Oh I'm sorry, the immaterial... That makes it so much better no?
Revolutionary
Established Member

Post by Revolutionary »

Byblos wrote:
Revolutionary wrote:
To expand minds
Now that is even funnier than the first. You're on a roll rev. :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound:
You certainly have mastered the immaterial Byblos, you might convince me yet huh?
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Revolutionary wrote:
To expand minds
That isn't really an answer to my question.
Allow me to rephrase it:
Why are you here on THIS forum?
Revolutionary
Established Member

Post by Revolutionary »

The universe is beautiful and brilliant, there is no denying.... How do we even begin to contemplate brilliance ever existing without having such creative reflection, nonetheless existing for eternity in this so called "immaterial" state before deciding to reflect such beauty?

8-}2
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Revolutionary wrote:Immaterial is a convenient word that we made up simply to give extraneous meaning to nothingness/void....
How does one understand the emotion of love without there being anything in order to experience it? It's an impossibility!
Try it, there is nothing but you in a formless immaterial state.... There is no light and no darkness, no material and no artistry beyond imagining how it might have form.
How does one understand beauty without any sort of tangible experience in order to reflect?
How does one understand creativity without any medium?

It boggles the mind that people have the desire to make a being so powerful that "he" created everything, that they place him in an eternal formless void before doing so.... How exciting huh?

Oh I'm sorry, the immaterial... That makes it so much better no?
I know we started off on the wrong foot but I am really attempting to have an intelligent conversation with you rev. If I'm wasting my time please let me know and I will gracefully bow out.

But the immaterial is all around us rev. Tell me, how do you explain triangularity in material terms? You cannot even begin to explain anything without referring to the immaterial (the mind) as it relates to the body (or the brain). How can matter (including the brain) have any concept of about-ness? You may think this is a trivial matter but it isn't. Go ask Descartes, he made a mess of the whole thing.