The history of the Church and Evolution.

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

The history of the Church and Evolution.

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

Found this article to be very interesting on the history of evolution and the early acceptance of evolution by the Church.

https://www.bigquestionsonline.com/cont ... compatible
The very first written response to Darwin’s famous book On the Origin of Species [1859] was from an Anglican priest and was so positive in tone that Darwin quoted from it in the second edition of the Origin.

The priest was the Rev. Charles Kingsley and on November 18th, 1859, six days before the publication of the Origin, he was thanking Darwin for his kind gift of an advance copy, writing that ‘All I have seen of it awes me’, commenting that it is ‘just as noble a conception of Deity, to believe that He created primal forms capable of self-development...as to believe that He required a fresh act of intervention to supply the lacunas [gaps] which He Himself had made’.
I like this quote.
There are not, and cannot be, any Divine interpositions in nature, for God cannot interfere with Himself. His creative activity is present everywhere. There is no division of labour between God and nature, or God and law… For the Christian theologian the facts of nature are the acts of God.
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Re: The history of the Church and Evolution.

Post by neo-x »

Nice find Dan, interesting indeed. I wan't aware of this.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

neo-x wrote:Nice find Dan, interesting indeed. I wan't aware of this.
I find it funny all the hate towards Darwin from certain sectors within the body of Christ, yet when he did his original research he was praised by influential people within the church and accepted by the vast majority of Christians, it just goes to show how times and attitudes can change drastically over a few years. I think most of the negativity is due to this human desire to have an us and them attitude, probably a throw back to tribalism.
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

it probably is that.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if

without.

Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Ivellious »

It's actually pretty amazing how widely accepted Darwinian Evolution was in the early parts of the 20th century, even among Christians and other religious folk. Obviously there were some ultra-conservative detractors, but there was no significant anti-evolution campaign like we see today until the Great Depression era, when many southern churches started openly preaching against evolution, mainly because they feared evolution would lead to widespread atheism or agnosticism. Which is pretty ironic, since evolutionary thought had done nothing to promote atheism prior to that and was, in fact, accepted in most religious organizations, and today many of those same groups of people who opposed evolution have done a heck of a lot more to turn people away from going to church than evolution ever did.
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Ivellious wrote:It's actually pretty amazing how widely accepted Darwinian Evolution was in the early parts of the 20th century, even among Christians and other religious folk. Obviously there were some ultra-conservative detractors, but there was no significant anti-evolution campaign like we see today until the Great Depression era, when many southern churches started openly preaching against evolution, mainly because they feared evolution would lead to widespread atheism or agnosticism. Which is pretty ironic, since evolutionary thought had done nothing to promote atheism prior to that and was, in fact, accepted in most religious organizations, and today many of those same groups of people who opposed evolution have done a heck of a lot more to turn people away from going to church than evolution ever did.
You spoke my mind. :esmile:

without.

Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Ivellious wrote:It's actually pretty amazing how widely accepted Darwinian Evolution was in the early parts of the 20th century, even among Christians and other religious folk. Obviously there were some ultra-conservative detractors, but there was no significant anti-evolution campaign like we see today until the Great Depression era, when many southern churches started openly preaching against evolution, mainly because they feared evolution would lead to widespread atheism or agnosticism. Which is pretty ironic, since evolutionary thought had done nothing to promote atheism prior to that and was, in fact, accepted in most religious organizations, and today many of those same groups of people who opposed evolution have done a heck of a lot more to turn people away from going to church than evolution ever did.
Kind of ironic isn't it, but it's not surprising that hate turns people off, you can't preach a message of love and acceptance alongside hate and exclusion.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

I can understand from a certain POV how evolution ( if misunderstood as it was) COULD have lead people to believe it was "anti-god", especially how it was used by some.
We must always remember that there is what SCIENCE says about something and what PEOPLE SAY that science says about something.
That God may have used the same "building blocks" to "create" man as he did for other animals is not a big issue.
The issue is the notion that man came to be MAN over periods of time in which he evolved ( without God's control) from another animal into Man as we know him to be now.
Genesis states clearly that Man was created from the Earth and NOT from another animal.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

PaulS wrote:
Genesis states clearly that Man was created from the Earth and NOT from another animal.
Paul,

Stop putting evolution down, or I'll get the Queen to ban you. ;)
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

RickD wrote:
PaulS wrote:
Paul,

I bet that post surprise you, LOL
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

PaulSacramento wrote:
RickD wrote:
PaulS wrote:
Paul,

I knew evolution was indefensible from scripture. I'm just surprised you finally admitted it. :lol:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

RickD wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
RickD wrote:
PaulS wrote:
Paul,

I knew evolution was indefensible from scripture. I'm just surprised you finally admitted it. :lol:
BWWAHHH !!! Nice one.

Yes, it is true that IF Genesis is to be taken as a literal and concrete telling of the origins of man, then evolution is going against scripture.
There isn't much of a gray area there.
Of course that is a very big IF ;)
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Unless of course the story of the creation of man in Eden in Genesis 2 is different than Genesis 1 in that it refers to a "special creation" of Adam and Eve as opposed to a more "general" creation of mankind in Genesis 1.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Sorry Paul, it's too late for you to backtrack now. That ship has sailed. Your true anti-evolution feelings are already known to everyone. You've renounced Darwinism. You are free! Doesn't it feel great? Like a huge burden has been lifted off your shoulders.

Praise The Lord! PaulSacramento has finally seen the light!
:amen:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

PaulSacramento wrote:
RickD wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
RickD wrote:
PaulS wrote:
Paul,

BWWAHHH !!! Nice one.

Yes, it is true that IF Genesis is to be taken as a literal and concrete telling of the origins of man, then evolution is going against scripture.
There isn't much of a gray area there.
Of course that is a very big IF ;)

It is meant to be taken literal, it was literally written to make a theological point and not written as a science book. y>:D<