Why did Jesus call himself the Son of Man?

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
YoungApolegist
Recognized Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Why did Jesus call himself the Son of Man?

Post by YoungApolegist »

I was reading Matthew yesterday, and I kept thinking about why Jesus called himself the son of man. I mean, Jesus was the Son of God right? Jesus was the only human who has ever walked the earth to be sinless, and sin is a human's very nature. If I were to guess it would be that when Jesus said "Son of Man," he was saying how he is God, but he has come to Earth as a man. Can somebody that has a better understanding of theology explain this to me ( I have only been a Christian for 3 1/2 years)?
" I think it is not only out of God's wisdom but also out of his love that he leaves in mystery what he leaves in mystery. If I had more knowledge I could be heartbroken. Thus we live in hope.
And then, maybe, when standing at the Heaven's gate, I will throw myself into his arms and weep everything out. With him, we can handle that." - 1over137
OneMan
Newbie Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Why did Jesus call himself the Son of Man?

Post by OneMan »

I can give why I believe he called himself the son of man. When Jesus came into the world he set aside his Godhood (for lack a better word). Meaning when he was here he was human, not God. To set the example to us that we can live our lives as God intended us to live, as humans, as he did it without the power of God. Not to say he did not call on God's power. He did not do it for himself or for everyday life. He lived as we do, with the same weakness that we suffer from. The weakness of the flesh, however he did not give in to it as we who sin do.
The Protector
Recognized Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Why did Jesus call himself the Son of Man?

Post by The Protector »

Yes, calling Him the "Son of Man" does affirm his humanity, but it is also understood as a reference to a prophecy from Daniel 7:13-14.

“In my vision at night I looked, and there before me was one like a son of man, coming with the clouds of heaven. He approached the Ancient of Days and was led into his presence. He was given authority, glory and sovereign power; all peoples, nations and men of every language worshiped him. His dominion is an everlasting dominion that will not pass away, and his kingdom is one that will never be destroyed.”

I've heard some Christian scholars say that Jesus calling himself the "Son of Man" was actually a much greater signifier of his claim to divinity than calling himself the "Son of God."