Biblical Law I've Never Heard of

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
YoungApolegist
Recognized Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Biblical Law I've Never Heard of

Post by YoungApolegist »

So I was watching a video made by Vsauce, and I came across a comment that says the following. "You are aware that the bible contains a law that mixing two fabrics is a sin, yet wearing clothes does that exact thing." Where does this guy get this nonsense.
" I think it is not only out of God's wisdom but also out of his love that he leaves in mystery what he leaves in mystery. If I had more knowledge I could be heartbroken. Thus we live in hope.
And then, maybe, when standing at the Heaven's gate, I will throw myself into his arms and weep everything out. With him, we can handle that." - 1over137
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Re: Biblical Law I've Never Heard of

Post by RickD »

YoungApolegist wrote:So I was watching a video made by Vsauce, and I came across a comment that says the following. "You are aware that the bible contains a law that mixing two fabrics is a sin, yet wearing clothes does that exact thing." Where does this guy get this nonsense.
From Leviticus 19:19
'You are to keep My statutes. You shall not breed together two kinds of your cattle; you shall not sow your field with two kinds of seed, nor wear a garment upon you of two kinds of material mixed together.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

If you call yourself a Christian, why are you ignorant of what is in the Bible? A Christian who doesn't know the Bible is like a pilot who doesn't know how to fly an aircraft.

FL :shock:
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:If you call yourself a Christian, why are you ignorant of what is in the Bible? A Christian who doesn't know the Bible is like a pilot who doesn't know how to fly an aircraft.

That's a bit harsh FL, we don't know his age or level of education.
We cannot know every verse.
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Ivellious »

If you call yourself a Christian, why are you ignorant of what is in the Bible? A Christian who doesn't know the Bible is like a pilot who doesn't know how to fly an aircraft.
If this is the definition of a "good Christian", then there are more atheists and agnostics in the US (and most other countries) than there are good Christians.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

Ivellious wrote:
If this is the definition of a "good Christian", then there are more atheists and agnostics in the US (and most other countries) than there are good Christians.
Are you on dope or something? When did I say this was the definition of a ''Good Christian''? Are you smoking something stronger than cigarettes?

FL :D
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Ivellious »

The insinuation that it is a bad thing for a self-proclaimed Christian to not know a specific and obscure line of scripture kind of made it clear that you did not approve of his Christian-ness. And a pilot who doesn't know how to fly is, by definition, a bad pilot...it's pretty easy to apply that same logic to being a Christian, according to your post itself.

And no, I don't smoke dope, or cigarettes...
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

Ivellious wrote:The insinuation that it is a bad thing for a self-proclaimed Christian to not know a specific and obscure line of scripture kind of made it clear that you did not approve of his Christian-ness. And a pilot who doesn't know how to fly is, by definition, a bad pilot...it's pretty easy to apply that same logic to being a Christian, according to your post itself.

And no, I don't smoke dope, or cigarettes...
Nope, Einstein. A bad pilot is still a pilot. The worst possible pilot will still know how to fly a plane; he'll never ask, ''What is this thing poking out of the dashboard for?''

Your logic - above - is full of crap. I hope you are studying art or politics or litterature, something like that. I sure hope you're not in the hard sciences or engineering...

FL :shakehead:

PS: I'm a pilot.

+ + +

+ + +
Seraph

Post by Seraph »

I think it is commonly understood that the laws in Leviticus are not a measure of what is sin in today's society. The book of Leviticus was for the ancient levitical priests, after the name of the book means "for the Levites".
I am committed to belief in God, as the most morally demanding, psychologically enriching, intellectually satisfying and imaginatively fruitful hypothesis about the ultimate nature of reality known to me - Keith Ward
Seraph

Post by Seraph »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:If you call yourself a Christian, why are you ignorant of what is in the Bible? A Christian who doesn't know the Bible is like a pilot who doesn't know how to fly an aircraft.

The bibles a big book, it wouldn't be very inclusive of God to only allow those with full knowledge of the bible to be considered a follower.
I am committed to belief in God, as the most morally demanding, psychologically enriching, intellectually satisfying and imaginatively fruitful hypothesis about the ultimate nature of reality known to me - Keith Ward
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Ivellious »

I never said that a good Christian was no longer a Christian. But you said that a Christian who didn't know obscure Bible verses was like a pilot who couldn't fly...So are you saying that if you don't know obscure Bible verses, you simply aren't a Christian? If so, then I amend my previous statement...then there are very, very few Christians, good or bad, period. Because most Christians haven't memorized every random passage of scripture, or even close to it.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Actually, a better comparison would be, "A Christian who doesn't know the levitical laws, is like a pilot not knowing how to crochet a scarf."

Both are irrelevant.

Not knowing some obscure levitical law has absolutely no bearing on being a Christian.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

YoungApolegist
Recognized Member

Post by YoungApolegist »

Let me clarify. I am 16 years old. I have been a Christian for many years now, but I am just now getting into interpreting different laws of scripture. I like this forum, but I don't know how much longer I will stay if you assume that I'm not a Christian if I don't know every single passage of 1500+ page book.
" I think it is not only out of God's wisdom but also out of his love that he leaves in mystery what he leaves in mystery. If I had more knowledge I could be heartbroken. Thus we live in hope.
And then, maybe, when standing at the Heaven's gate, I will throw myself into his arms and weep everything out. With him, we can handle that." - 1over137
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

YoungApolegist wrote:Let me clarify. I am 16 years old. I have been a Christian for many years now, but I am just now getting into interpreting different laws of scripture. I like this forum, but I don't know how much longer I will stay if you assume that I'm not a Christian if I don't know every single passage of 1500+ page book.
Don't let Furstentum Liechtenstein bother you. He's having a bad day because it's finally sinking in that his idol Celine Dion is moving away from him to America.

YoungApolegist,

You're doing fine asking questions like this. That's how we learn from each other.

As you've discovered by watching that video, some people just don't like Christianity. There are those that turn away from God because they have been hurt. They blame God. Others just use any means to try to discredit something they don't understand. And clearly, if the person in the video is using an obscure levitical law to discredit the bible and Christianity, he is extremely ignorant of scripture. Don't let people like that get to you.

Keep asking questions here. We all help each other. And don't take things too personally here.

Furstentum Liechtenstein(FL) has an interesting sense of humor. Despite his being French Canadian, he has many redeeming qualities.

-Edward R Murrow

Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Silvertusk »

RickD wrote:
YoungApolegist wrote:Let me clarify. I am 16 years old. I have been a Christian for many years now, but I am just now getting into interpreting different laws of scripture. I like this forum, but I don't know how much longer I will stay if you assume that I'm not a Christian if I don't know every single passage of 1500+ page book.
Don't let Furstentum Liechtenstein bother you. He's having a bad day because it's finally sinking in that his idol Celine Dion is moving away from him to America.

YoungApolegist,

You're doing fine asking questions like this. That's how we learn from each other.

As you've discovered by watching that video, some people just don't like Christianity. There are those that turn away from God because they have been hurt. They blame God. Others just use any means to try to discredit something they don't understand. And clearly, if the person in the video is using an obscure levitical law to discredit the bible and Christianity, he is extremely ignorant of scripture. Don't let people like that get to you.

Keep asking questions here. We all help each other. And don't take things too personally here.

Furstentum Liechtenstein(FL) has an interesting sense of humor. Despite his being French Canadian, he has many redeeming qualities.
Just none in written form :ewink:

I have been accused of being a fake Christian by FL so don't take it personally.