Not going to Church a sin?

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
User avatar
UsagiTsukino
Valued Member
Posts: 289
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:10 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 6 times

Re: Not going to Church a sin?

#16

Post by UsagiTsukino » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:48 pm

The word church means to gather in greek. In other words gather in his name. The church is not the building but the people that make the church. So, I guess this forum would be considered that.

ChristianScientistAnn
Recognized Member
Posts: 64
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:34 am
Christian: Yes
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Not going to Church a sin?

#17

Post by ChristianScientistAnn » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:42 am

This forum gives some good ideas and fellowship, though it is merely virtual fellowship. Yes the Holy Spirit is present sometimes, and two or three are sometimes gathered here, BUT each or us still needs to flock together in person. And we need all the elements of collective worship: seeing each other in person to know how we are really doing, human warmth, singing together to God, praying silently and aloud together, listening to Scripture together, collectively listening to a sermon, etc. This forum doesn't provide all of that. The physical church building is not the church but it is a place put aside for one purpose, where we agree to meet. It's practical and simple.
There is no comparison between going to a music performance in person and listening to music using whatever technology. I heard Mozart last night at a symphony concert and there's an element related to going in person that just cannot be reproduced any other way. Whether it is collective worship or collective concert going, the collective experience is great.

User avatar
1over137
Technical Admin
Posts: 5190
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 6:05 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided
Location: Slovakia
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 283 times

Re: Not going to Church a sin?

#18

Post by 1over137 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:47 pm

Hebrews 10:25
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart

User avatar
UsagiTsukino
Valued Member
Posts: 289
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:10 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 6 times

Re: Not going to Church a sin?

#19

Post by UsagiTsukino » Sat May 03, 2014 12:08 pm

1over137 wrote:Hebrews 10:25
I actually read an Greek study in where this is stating it's about the second coming of Jesus

http://truthmakesfree.tripod.com/NotForsaking.html

User avatar
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member
Posts: 1102
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:54 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided
Location: Williston, North Dakota
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

Re: Not going to Church a sin?

#20

Post by Murray » Mon May 26, 2014 9:05 am

I liked this answer from catholic answers podcast

Man calling in- "are you saying i'm going to hell if I don't go to church?"
Host- "I never said that"
Man calling in- "then why does the church say not attending mass at least once a week is a mortal sin?"
Host - " Do you have a wife?"
Man- "yes"
Host- "how would your wife feel if you were to be unfaithful to her 3 times a year? "

Best explanation I've heard.
in nomine patri et fili spiritu sancte

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Posts: 8995
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:29 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution
Location: Ontario, Canada
Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 336 times

Re: Not going to Church a sin?

#21

Post by PaulSacramento » Mon May 26, 2014 9:22 am

Murray wrote:I liked this answer from catholic answers podcast

Man calling in- "are you saying i'm going to hell if I don't go to church?"
Host- "I never said that"
Man calling in- "then why does the church say not attending mass at least once a week is a mortal sin?"
Host - " Do you have a wife?"
Man- "yes"
Host- "how would your wife feel if you were to be unfaithful to her 3 times a year? "

Best explanation I've heard.
That doesn't make any sense...

User avatar
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member
Posts: 1102
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:54 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided
Location: Williston, North Dakota
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

Re: Not going to Church a sin?

#22

Post by Murray » Mon May 26, 2014 9:47 am

PaulSacramento wrote:
Murray wrote:I liked this answer from catholic answers podcast

Man calling in- "are you saying i'm going to hell if I don't go to church?"
Host- "I never said that"
Man calling in- "then why does the church say not attending mass at least once a week is a mortal sin?"
Host - " Do you have a wife?"
Man- "yes"
Host- "how would your wife feel if you were to be unfaithful to her 3 times a year? "

Best explanation I've heard.
That doesn't make any sense...

Comparing faithfulness to wife to faithfulness to god. Not honoring god on his Sabbath day IS being unfaithful to him, you're saying you have better things to do than honor god. And not honoring god is obviously against god's will, and thus is a sin.
in nomine patri et fili spiritu sancte

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Posts: 8995
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:29 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution
Location: Ontario, Canada
Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 336 times

Re: Not going to Church a sin?

#23

Post by PaulSacramento » Mon May 26, 2014 10:01 am

Murray wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
Murray wrote:I liked this answer from catholic answers podcast

Man calling in- "are you saying i'm going to hell if I don't go to church?"
Host- "I never said that"
Man calling in- "then why does the church say not attending mass at least once a week is a mortal sin?"
Host - " Do you have a wife?"
Man- "yes"
Host- "how would your wife feel if you were to be unfaithful to her 3 times a year? "

Best explanation I've heard.
That doesn't make any sense...

Comparing faithfulness to wife to faithfulness to god. Not honoring god on his Sabbath day IS being unfaithful to him, you're saying you have better things to do than honor god. And not honoring god is obviously against god's will, and thus is a sin.
God = Church?
Is that what you are implying?

User avatar
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member
Posts: 1102
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:54 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided
Location: Williston, North Dakota
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

Re: Not going to Church a sin?

#24

Post by Murray » Mon May 26, 2014 10:35 am

No. I'm Implying obedience and faithfulness to god = in part, going to church.
in nomine patri et fili spiritu sancte

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Posts: 8995
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:29 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution
Location: Ontario, Canada
Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 336 times

Re: Not going to Church a sin?

#25

Post by PaulSacramento » Tue May 27, 2014 5:40 am

Murray wrote:No. I'm Implying obedience and faithfulness to god = in part, going to church.
AH, understood.
Thanks for clearing that up.
I don't personally agree that going to church is that crucial for all believers.
Some people need the fellowship and others don't.
I used to go quite a bit, now not so much and I have actually felt closer to Christ.
Maybe I will feel compelled to starting going to church regularity again sometime down the road, who knows?
My view is that we are ALL the body of Christ and as Our Lord mentioned, wherever two or more gather, I am there.
I have gone to big churches that get 100's of people every mass and small ones that get only a few dozen and even home ones that have less that 10, they ALL have something to offer and I think it becomes a matter of personal preference in how we prefer to worship God.

Post Reply