First direct evidence for inflation

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
1over137
Technical Admin
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

First direct evidence for inflation

Post by 1over137 »

But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: First direct evidence for inflation

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

So what exactly does this mean for us Hana, cause you know I'm not a physicist? y:(|)
Does this prove a beginning?
Last edited by Danieltwotwenty on Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

I will quote:

When asked to comment on the implications of this discovery, Harvard theorist Avi Loeb said, "This work offers new insights into some of our most basic questions: Why do we exist? How did the universe begin? These results are not only a smoking gun for inflation, they also tell us when inflation took place and how powerful the process was."

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.

#foreverinmyheart
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

So does this mean without a doubt there was a beginning to the universe?
Or is this just evidence for the current model?
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:So does this mean without a doubt there was a beginning to the universe?
They claim it is smoking gun for inflation. Not necessarily for beginning of the universe. Some theories say, there were more inflations, more beginnings and ends. Now scientist can study details of detected gravitational waves and rule out some theories. So the big thing is, there was inflation and that we can study details and rule out or support theories about our universe.

#foreverinmyheart
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

1over137 wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:So does this mean without a doubt there was a beginning to the universe?
They claim it is smoking gun for inflation. Not necessarily for beginning of the universe. Some theories say, there were more inflations, more beginnings and ends. Now scientist can study details of detected gravitational waves and rule out some theories. So the big thing is, there was inflation and that we can study details and rule out or support theories about our universe.
Sweet, just another piece of the puzzle hey.
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

Yes :)

#foreverinmyheart
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

wow! simply wow! :) nice share hana
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

neo-x wrote:wow! simply wow! :) nice share hana
It is expected that Nobel prize will be for this discovery.

#foreverinmyheart
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Ivellious »

I was going to post about this before I saw it already here. I'm on Spring Break, but lots of my friends are talking about this considering one of the professors at my university is a co-leader of this project (so it's a big deal for our school in general). Pretty cool stuff.
Silvertusk
Board Moderator

Post by Silvertusk »

1over137 wrote:I will quote:

When asked to comment on the implications of this discovery, Harvard theorist Avi Loeb said, "This work offers new insights into some of our most basic questions: Why do we exist? How did the universe begin? These results are not only a smoking gun for inflation, they also tell us when inflation took place and how powerful the process was."

A great discovery to support the Standard model - but I would disagree that it would answer the question "Why do we exist." Science cannot answer that.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Silvertusk wrote:
1over137 wrote:I will quote:

A great discovery to support the Standard model - but I would disagree that it would answer the question "Why do we exist." Science cannot answer that.
I think "why" we exist in this context is not our purpose for existing, which science can't answer. I think "why" we exist in this context, is more of a cause type of why. Why do we exist? We exist because the Big Bang caused x to form, which eventually caused the necessary elements for life to exist.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

1over137 wrote:
It basically cements the inflationary model as the standard model. If anyone deserves the Nobel prize it's Allan Guth, the father of the inflationary model (and the 'G' of the BVG theorem). While this discovery does not answer the source of the singularity prior to the big bang, the BVG theorem certainly helps in stating that any inflationary model is past incomplete (had a beginning) no matter the number of singularities (i.e. it rules out an infinite mutli-verse).

The conclusion is really inescapable but let's see how it gets spun around.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Silvertusk
Board Moderator

Post by Silvertusk »

Why are a lot of scientists saying at the moment that this discovery is pointing to a multiverse?
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Ivellious »

Why are a lot of scientists saying at the moment that this discovery is pointing to a multiverse?
I personally have not heard that yet, and don't necessarily see where this evidence points to that at all. Did you read an article about it?