Robots

Discussion for Christian perspectives on ethical issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sexuality, and so forth.
UsagiTsukino
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Robots

Post by UsagiTsukino »

What will happen than? I mean if robots take the jobs more people will need to go on welfare and the government will blame it on the people or will people find new skills?
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Robots

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

UsagiTsukino wrote:What will happen than? I mean if robots take the jobs more people will need to go on welfare and the government will blame it on the people or will people find new skills?
The answer from history is that people will develop new skills, and they'll have more leisure time to pervert themselves.

FL

PS ''...and they'll have more leisure time to pervert themselves'' is my opinion. But I'm right.
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
FlawedIntellect
Established Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by FlawedIntellect »

UsagiTsukino wrote:What will happen than? I mean if robots take the jobs more people will need to go on welfare and the government will blame it on the people or will people find new skills?
If robots take over for various jobs, however, there will be greater need for the following careers: Programming, Engineering, IT (Information Technology), and Maintenance. So, there would still be jobs that require humans.

Also, such robots may not necessarily be humanoid in design. If a robot is only going to be performing a few simple tasks, then there's no need to have all the extra parts.

As for why people have been attempting to make human-like robots: Curiosity and aesthetics. People are curious about whether or not they can create things in a fashion after their own image. The thing is, though, this would be extremely difficult due to both challenges in engineering and programming. (Plus, it'd be very expensive.) I find it unlikely that humans will be replaced by machines any more than they already have, any time soon. There are, however, some practical applications to this sort of research. Namely, advances in robotic limbs would be much more practical/useful for prosthesis than for trying to completely replace people with robots. (There's still some technical challenges here, but there are already methods of partially restoring function through prosthetic limbs.)

Computers are good at dealing with numbers, and that is why people often use them for doing the math when it comes to managing finances, and why people use them to keep track of their schedules. Computers can even make it faster and easier to deal with paperwork. (There are, however, limitations and problems to this approach, namely the need to regularly back up information and to keep the information secure.)

Computers aren't very good at object recognition in terms of images, however. (Google Images isn't very reliable for trying to find similar images once you go into the wider array of results, for instance.)

I hope this helps a little.
Thadeyus
Established Member
Christian: No

Post by Thadeyus »

*Raises hand*

Um... robots have already entered various industries and been doing so for many decades. I've worked along side robot controlled/driven fork-lifts.

What will happen as more businesses 'industrialize' in this fashion?

I'd say no one really knows, but since it's a gradual thing and not happening as quickly as, say, when steam changed the nature of industry...Then the work force will be able to 'change' along with the spread/introduction of said machines.

As for computing power which helps drive said robots? That side of things is still effectively doubling every year....

Much cheers to all.
1over137
Technical Admin
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by 1over137 »

"The name Robot is of 20th century origin. It was coined by Josef Capek, a Czech writer, and popularized in 1923 by his brother Karel Capek in a play called Rossum's Universal Robots (also known as R.U.R.). Capek's Robots were essentially genetically engineered humans, but the term quickly became associated with Automatons.The metaphorical meaning of a person who behaves mindlessly also caught on before the end of the 1920s."

That time it was Czechoslovakia.
Even in Slovak language robota = work :mrgreen:
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

I am glad we have wash machines for laundry and for dishes. I have more time for reading, writing :)
Cooking machine would be cool. Like synthetizator in Startrek. :mrgreen:

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.

#foreverinmyheart
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

1over137 wrote:I am glad we have wash machines for laundry and for dishes. I have more time for reading, writing :)
Hana,

Over here in America, we have an amazing cooking machine. It's called a microwave oven. I'm aware that over there in Slobovia, you might not have the same luxuries that we fat, lazy Americans have. We also have an amazing driving machine too. It's called an automobile. It saves us hours per day, of time that we would've had to ride a horse to work. ;)
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

:ermm:

#foreverinmyheart
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

1over137 wrote:I am glad we have wash machines for laundry and for dishes. I have more time for reading, writing :)
Yes, I'm so glad I have wash machines for laundry and dishes and even cooking. My wife is really great in this respect!
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)