Question

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
soldiersofthecross
Acquainted Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Re: Question

Post by soldiersofthecross »

I hate to be the one to burst your bubbles. But these fantasy/magic materials (movie, comic, cartoons) are not what you think they are. Do you possibly think that if Jesus was here with you guys, that He would sit down with you guys in a dark theater to watch a movie about witches, wizards, demons and all kind of magical creatures that has nothing to do with God or Jesus Himself?! In many ways these movies go against what God stands for. Probably I don't know what I'm talking about, but I cannot understand why persons who claim to be Followers of Christ could allow such crap to enter your minds. God is against magic and the things that comes with it.

"There shall not be found among you any one that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch, or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer. For all that do these things are an abomination unto the LORD: and because of these abominations the LORD thy God doth drive them out from before thee. Thou shalt be perfect with the LORD thy God. For these nations, which thou shalt possess, hearkened unto observers of times, and unto diviners: but as for thee, the LORD thy God hath not suffered thee so to do." (Deuteronomy 18:10-14)

Now, think about that, friend. Either God lied to you in the Bible, or Satan is lying to you in the books and movies. God said that Lords of the Ring is an abomination. God said that Harry Potter and his friends are an abomination. Do you have the courage to believe God?

I know probably you guys will crucify me after this, but nevertheless. The truth is the truth. How can you promote these things which God forbids? Are we not serving the same God of the Bible? I'm very shocked and amazed at the comments. I honestly thought this was supposed to be a Bible forum?
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

Sure He would.

He ate with sinners and tax collectors. He was perfectly capable of discerning truth from error. So are we. Don't be like the Pharisees who condemned Christ for not separating Himself from the things of this world.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
soldiersofthecross
Acquainted Member

I cannot believe what I'm hearing. The Pharisees hated Jesus because He told the Truth; He was the Son of God. Jesus accepted everyone, and usually all these people who were around Him changed; they didn't remained the same. Jesus did not avoid contact with sinners but he did not allow himself to become a part of their activities ( if I'm wrong, please give me an example where Jesus did what sinners did?).The lesson from the Pharisees is that self-righteousness is not righteousness, and that God's true people are to live according to all of God's Word, not just certain parts that are most convenient or to one's own liking. Jesus showed them their errors and rebuked them. In no way can you compare me to the pharisees; for starters I'm not being self-righteous, I'm just trying to follow what the Bible says and not by my own knowledge.

"For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and WORLDLY lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world; Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ; Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works." (Titus 2:11-14)

The scripture is saying something different from what you've written above. Where is the error?
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

You're begging the question.

Yes, Jesus never sinned, but He did participate in activities with sinners. You do some to grasp how deeply offensive it was to pious sensibilities that Jesus ate with sinners. Your argument would only work if it really was the case that movies and such things about magic were actually sinful. Since that's the issue under discussion, you're begging the question, which, by definition, is an irrational argument.

You feel free to separate yourself from the world. Jesus did not. Paul did not (do you know that Paul could quote pagan literature and was conversant with pagan theology and philosophy? How, pray tell, do you think he could do that? Divine revelation?). We are told not to. You think you are behaving in a pious way. In fact, you are condemning the very Savior your trust, the very apostles you followed, and disobeying both their example and their words.

But feel free to continue condemning people on this board. It's typical of Pharisaical legalists. If, on the other hand, you want to share a bit more grace, I promise you that you will find us a very open and welcoming community. :D
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
soldiersofthecross
Acquainted Member

Make no mistakes, I'm not here to condemn anyone. I joined this group only to learn things about the Bible, and ultimately about God. I'm positive that whatever I've written, has not dishonored Jesus or go against the Word of God.

I came not for arguments, but for constructive biblical discussions and reasoning. But thanks for the discouragement my friend. And lets get things straight, I only follow Jesus and the Words He inspired in the Bible (not the Apostles), and I'm not that welcoming to philosophies outside the Bible.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

soldiersofthecross wrote: I only follow Jesus and the Words He inspired in the Bible (not the Apostles)...
Does the above mean you only follow what is printed in red? That is, only the words Jesus actually spoke?

FL y:-?
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
soldiersofthecross
Acquainted Member

Jesus is God. So I follow what is in red as well as what is in black. Everything that was written in the Bible was inspired and allowed by God (Father, Son and Holy Spirit).
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

So you follow the words written in black . . . and when the words written in black quote from pagan literature (a very WORLDLY thing . . . certainly no less worldly than Lord of the Rings, it seems to me), you say what?
soldiersofthecross
Acquainted Member

I do not understand you, are you even a Christian?
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by 1over137 »

soldiersofthecross wrote:I hate to be the one to burst your bubbles. But these fantasy/magic materials (movie, comic, cartoons) are not what you think they are. Do you possibly think that if Jesus was here with you guys, that He would sit down with you guys in a dark theater to watch a movie about witches, wizards, demons and all kind of magical creatures that has nothing to do with God or Jesus Himself?! In many ways these movies go against what God stands for. Probably I don't know what I'm talking about, but I cannot understand why persons who claim to be Followers of Christ could allow such crap to enter your minds. God is against magic and the things that comes with it.

"There shall not be found among you any one that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch, or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer. For all that do these things are an abomination unto the LORD: and because of these abominations the LORD thy God doth drive them out from before thee. Thou shalt be perfect with the LORD thy God. For these nations, which thou shalt possess, hearkened unto observers of times, and unto diviners: but as for thee, the LORD thy God hath not suffered thee so to do." (Deuteronomy 18:10-14)

Now, think about that, friend. Either God lied to you in the Bible, or Satan is lying to you in the books and movies.
Is abomination doing such things or also watching fictitious characters doing it?
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

soldiersofthecross wrote:I do not understand you, are you even a Christian?
Can you cool down, please?
http://www.gotquestions.org/Christian-c ... stian.html

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.

#foreverinmyheart
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

soldiersofthecross wrote:I do not understand you, are you even a Christian?
I take it you are not aware that the bible quotes pagan literature?
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
soldiersofthecross
Acquainted Member

Wow, you guys are like a gang. And I'm very cool. I was just asking a question. Does it hurts to give a straight answer?

You wrote this 1over137, "Is abomination doing such things or also watching fictitious characters doing it?"

No matter how I answer this you guys will still be against me. But I want to ask you something. I want your honest answer.

Abomination or not, do you think Jesus would sit with you and watch such things (about witches, demons, wizards etc)?
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

soldiersofthecross wrote:Wow, you guys are like a gang. And I'm very cool. I was just asking a question. Does it hurts to give a straight answer?
Jac, gave you straight answer.
soldiersofthecross wrote:You wrote this 1over137, "Is abomination doing such things or also watching fictitious characters doing it?"

No matter how I answer this you guys will still be against me.
We are not against YOU.
soldiersofthecross wrote:But I want to ask you something. I want your honest answer.

Abomination or not, do you think Jesus would sit with you and watch such things (about witches, demons, wizards etc)?
I do not see why not. Am yet to see why not. Hmm, we should not then even watch movies where people kill or rape or simply sin. Do you agree?

#foreverinmyheart
soldiersofthecross
Acquainted Member

And that was Jac's answer. I just wanted another. But seeing it will be all the same, I will not ask that question again.

Yes I agree. Whats the point of watching such things when their not helping us spiritually?