Conspiracy theories

Discussions about politics and goings on around the world. (Please keep discussions civil!)
ultimate777
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Conspiracy theories

Post by ultimate777 »

I have a problem with conspiracy theories. I think for a conspiracy to succeed, it needs to be small and simple. Or else, somebody will spill the beans all over the place or the wheels will come off. Do you agree?
Like the Roswell deal, no matter what they were told, what they signed, how they were threatened, some people would have outed it all over the place. Think not?

Likewise the moon landing "hoax" and the truther stuff. You wouldn't have squealed, but how sure are you of your neighbors? :lol:
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: Conspiracy theories

Post by Ivellious »

Most conspiracy theories are probably completely wrong. You hit the biggest reason why...the huge conspiracy theories that get press would, in reality, be impossible to actually keep secret for all-time. That, and pretty much every case for a conspiracy theory that I've seen can be easily explained away by basic logic or evidence that the conspiracy theorist conveniently "forgets" to disclose.
ultimate777
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by ultimate777 »

Ivellious wrote:Most conspiracy theories are probably completely wrong. You hit the biggest reason why...the huge conspiracy theories that get press would, in reality, be impossible to actually keep secret for all-time. That, and pretty much every case for a conspiracy theory that I've seen can be easily explained away by basic logic or evidence that the conspiracy theorist conveniently "forgets" to disclose.
You know, Ivellious, many disbelievers in Christ hang their hat on a gigantic conspiracy theory. Its agreed upon, I think, that at least some of the New Testament was written soon enough for some adults during Jesus's ministry to be still alive. To think they would go through so much trouble and sacrifice for a lie . And not one would out the deception.

I might have another reply on this if I can find what I'm looking for. I have not yet mastered how to reliably set this aside and come back to it to add on to it):
Seraph
Christian: No
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Seraph »

Conspiracy theories are often bloated with so called evidence and perceived connections between parties that are flimsy at best. Then they have so many abstract claims that even if you debunk one, there's so many other non-falsifiable claims that in their mind it doesn't affect the "truth" that they claim.

Theres also this strange mindset of "if its theoretically *possible* that it happened, then it most certainly did happen". If the moon landing footage can be roughly recreated in a high tech studio somewhere, that's undeniable proof that the moon landing never happened.
I am committed to belief in God, as the most morally demanding, psychologically enriching, intellectually satisfying and imaginatively fruitful hypothesis about the ultimate nature of reality known to me - Keith Ward