How do I endure and get along with difficult people

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
DRDS
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

How do I endure and get along with difficult people

Post by DRDS »

Hey everyone, this is sort of a follow up to my "how to endure hard times" thread. With people in my area becoming increasingly hostile toward each other and will in effect, become that way more towards me, I was wondering if you (since becoming a believer) ever had to be around people who would physically, mentally and verbally abuse you and try to make you angry, sad, depressed or anything of that nature. How did you endure times with such people? How do you react in such a way that would be pleasing to God and would keep you from saying and doing things you regret later?

Why I'm asking this is because for me, I'm very bad at this. And I feel like many believers are much much better at it than I am and I'm wanting to see what kind of advice I can get. Because as I said at the very top, the people in my area are surely and not so slowly becoming more cold, bitter, hateful and even violent. yes violent. Right now the mma/ ufc bad boy thug image and lifestyle is off the charts not just all around in America but specifically in my area. But of course, my area has that with a slight country "twang" to it, which makes it even more revolting in my view. :shakehead:

I mean, people in my area will brawl at the drop of a hat or a spit across someone's right hand. It literally takes nothing to get them mad and nothing to get them started. And if you are not brawny, brawlzy, have muscles growing out of your ears, can plow a mile field, milk a cow, slop a hog, can drink ten gallons worth of beer, make Goliath wet his pants, eat lead, beat up all the strong men in a bar, and be a arrogant moron to go along with it, you literally get no respect from anyone. And because i"m don't fit any of these categories at least right now (I would like to fit some of these categories but certainly not all of them due to my beliefs) I therefore don't have anyone's respect.

And while just mentioning religious beliefs, besides the type I just mentioned, the other ones in my area that claim to believe in God but do so in a "special" kind of way, they don't show any more respect and kindness to me or to each other either. if I reveal all of my specific beliefs that I hold to regarding Christianity ie apologetics, I will really anger them because the main difference between the kind of Christianity that I hold to and the kind that they hold to is, the kind I hold to is loving, smart, and cool. There version much like the Salem witch burning Amish viking version of Christianity which is hateful, dumb, and lame.

So again, if you all ever had to deal with such people or people that are abusive toward you, how do you keep from letting them get to you? How do you properly react to this the way Yeshua would act? Thank you all for your time and help ahead of time. GB.
FlawedIntellect
Established Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: How do I endure and get along with difficult people

Post by FlawedIntellect »

Uuuh, this has nothing to do with the rest of what you're saying, but... there wasn't any "witch-burning" in the Salem Witch Trials. 19 people were hung, nearly 200 people were accused, and several died while in prison.
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-a ... salem.html
http://law2.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/f ... L_ACCT.HTM

However, it was still very tragic and peoples' behaviors were definitely out of hand.
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female

Post by 1over137 »

I mean, people in my area will brawl at the drop of a hat or a spit across someone's right hand. It literally takes nothing to get them mad and nothing to get them started. And if you are not brawny, brawlzy, have muscles growing out of your ears, can plow a mile field, milk a cow, slop a hog, can drink ten gallons worth of beer, make Goliath wet his pants, eat lead, beat up all the strong men in a bar, and be a arrogant moron to go along with it, you literally get no respect from anyone. And because i"m don't fit any of these categories at least right now (I would like to fit some of these categories but certainly not all of them due to my beliefs) I therefore don't have anyone's respect.
Do you need their respect?

Could you ignore them?

They may have fun from you when watching how you want to have their respect.

I have never been in such a situation. Grammar school and being made fun of me does not compare to it at all.

But is not the best to just ignore them?
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

Matthew 5:38-48

38 “You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth.’ 39 But I say to you, do not resist an evil person; but whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also. 40 If anyone wants to sue you and take your [am]shirt, let him have your [an]coat also. 41 Whoever [ao]forces you to go one mile, go with him two. 42 Give to him who asks of you, and do not turn away from him who wants to borrow from you.

43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 so that you may [ap]be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? 47 If you greet only your brothers, what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same? 48 Therefore [aq]you are to be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.

#foreverinmyheart
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

Matthew 27:27-37
27 Then the soldiers of the governor took Jesus into the [l]Praetorium and gathered the whole Roman [m]cohort around Him. 28 They stripped Him and put a scarlet robe on Him. 29 And after twisting together a crown of thorns, they put it on His head, and a [n]reed in His right hand; and they knelt down before Him and mocked Him, saying, “Hail, King of the Jews!” 30 They spat on Him, and took the reed and began to beat Him on the head. 31 After they had mocked Him, they took the scarlet robe off Him and put His own garments back on Him, and led Him away to crucify Him.

32 As they were coming out, they found a man of Cyrene named Simon, [o]whom they pressed into service to bear His cross.

33 And when they came to a place called Golgotha, which means Place of a Skull, 34 they gave Him wine to drink mixed with gall; and after tasting it, He was unwilling to drink.

35 And when they had crucified Him, they divided up His garments among themselves by casting [p]lots. 36 And sitting down, they began to keep watch over Him there. 37 And above His head they put up the charge against Him [q]which read, “THIS IS JESUS THE KING OF THE JEWS.”

Luke 23:33-34
33 When they came to the place called The Skull, there they crucified Him and the criminals, one on the right and the other on the left. 34 [j]But Jesus was saying, “Father, forgive them; for they do not know what they are doing.” And they cast lots, dividing up His garments among themselves.

#foreverinmyheart
DRDS

Post by DRDS »

Thank you. The scripture verses are well and good, but the thing is I already know all that. What I'm asking and really wanting to know is, how do I get myself to react the same way as those verses say I ought to act? Because on one end, I really want to react that way but the problem is I just can't get myself to do so. You know what I mean? I can't do the things I want to do and yet I keep doing the things I know I shouldn't do. How do I get myself to force myself to act the way in those situations as I should act and really want to act? That's what I"m needing help on, that's why I started this specific thread.
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

DRDS wrote:Thank you. The scripture verses are well and good, but the thing is I already know all that. What I'm asking and really wanting to know is, how do I get myself to react the same way as those verses say I ought to act? Because on one end, I really want to react that way but the problem is I just can't get myself to do so. You know what I mean? I can't do the things I want to do and yet I keep doing the things I know I shouldn't do. How do I get myself to force myself to act the way in those situations as I should act and really want to act? That's what I"m needing help on, that's why I started this specific thread.
You will grow and mature.

I do not know whether you can achieve that immediately.

Keep praying to God.

#foreverinmyheart
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

DRDS wrote:Thank you. The scripture verses are well and good, but the thing is I already know all that. What I'm asking and really wanting to know is, how do I get myself to react the same way as those verses say I ought to act? Because on one end, I really want to react that way but the problem is I just can't get myself to do so. You know what I mean? I can't do the things I want to do and yet I keep doing the things I know I shouldn't do. How do I get myself to force myself to act the way in those situations as I should act and really want to act? That's what I"m needing help on, that's why I started this specific thread.
You can not. All things, patience including comes with time, and as Hana said, with maturity. The same way one can not make himself fall in love, is the same way you can't just behave spiritually. Spiritual behaviour is the product of a way of thinking and living, else its mimicry. It is the result of honoring God inside you.

I used to struggle with jealousy. I liked a girl but she used to be all over another boy and for a long time I struggled with emotions of jealousy and hate. I prayed to God, I asked people to pray for me, I tried to overlook the anger and envy but all failed. It is only now, in hindsight that I think prayers can't make one more patient overnight, nor thoughts of doing good can actually make us do good or walk spiritually. I think it would not come to pass until the fruit in you matures and you understand that there are situations in life which we can't remedy, and to have peace in us even then. That peace comes when we trust God. And for a long time I didn't have that peace in me, because I was not ready to let go of the girl and my feelings for her. I was ready to leave all else for God, but the girl was an exception. And for years I struggled with it.

I just want you to know that we all struggle with this. And with time, wisdom and staying close to God, we understand better and are able to cope with situations in a better way. There are dozens of instances in my spiritual life, which I look back upon now and say, I could have done better. But its all part of growing up. So take your time. God is not going to leave you even if you think others do it better than you which they don't.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

Good, neo to spot you here :wave:

#foreverinmyheart
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

1over137 wrote:Good, neo to spot you here :wave:
Hey hana, yup, im here. Nice of you to spot me. :)
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Never let anyone steal your joy and love for life and others.
It isn't always easy but when we realize that we don't have to give people that power ( to take our joy away with their anger and hate) we can be happier and more loving towards them and then, with the HS in Us, that MAY lead to change for them BUT if it doesn't that has nothing to do with us but to do with them.
DRDS

Post by DRDS »

Thanks everyone. Great advice. I'll take it,and do whatever I can with it. That's all I can do.