Does God make the rules?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
ultimate777
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Does God make the rules?

Post by ultimate777 »

Does God decide what is right, what is wrong, and the appropriate consequences of doing wrong? If not, what does decide them? If God does decide what is right and wrong can he change it? Then afterwards can he change it back? Is God incapable of wanting to change what's right and wrong? Is there anything he is incapabable of wanting to do?

Have I made myself clear? If not, please explain.
Silvertusk
Board Moderator

Re: Does God make the rules?

Post by Silvertusk »

ultimate777 wrote:Does God decide what is right, what is wrong, and the appropriate consequences of doing wrong? If not, what does decide them? If God does decide what is right and wrong can he change it? Then afterwards can he change it back? Is God incapable of wanting to change what's right and wrong? Is there anything he is incapabable of wanting to do?

You are hinting on the euthryo dilemma there. Is something good because God says it is makes "good" arbitrary. Or does God do it because it is "good" makes God subordinate to the "good" and therefore not really making him God.

The answer is that God's very nature is good. God is the "good".
ultimate777

Post by ultimate777 »

Silvertusk wrote:
ultimate777 wrote:Does God decide what is right, what is wrong, and the appropriate consequences of doing wrong? If not, what does decide them? If God does decide what is right and wrong can he change it? Then afterwards can he change it back? Is God incapable of wanting to change what's right and wrong? Is there anything he is incapabable of wanting to do?

You are hinting on the euthryo dilemma there. Is something good because God says it is makes "good" arbitrary. Or does God do it because it is "good" makes God subordinate to the "good" and therefore not really making him God.

You use a strange term, the euthryo dilemma, and then you do not answer the question.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

ultimate777 wrote:
Silvertusk wrote:

You use a strange term, the euthryo dilemma, and then you do not answer the question.
Silver did answer the question, the rules are what God is and that is Goodness.

It's not that God makes rules, it is that the rules just are because God is good.

For example love is something that God is, hate is not what God is. It's not that love is a made rule or hate is a made rule, they just exist as either a part of God's nature or they do not.
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:
ultimate777 wrote:
Silvertusk wrote:

Silver did answer the question, the rules are what God is and that is Goodness.

It's not that God makes rules, it is that the rules just are because God is good.

For example love is something that God is, hate is not what God is. It's not that love is a made rule or hate is a made rule, they just exist as either a part of God's nature or they do not.

Very well put Dan. :clap:
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Biblically speaking, from man's POV, Yes God makes the rules and God can "change" His mind.
The bible shows that God can be "argued" with ( Abe and Sodom come to mind) BUT it's hard to know how much of that was for Abe's sake, rather than God being "persuaded" by Abe.
I think that what is viewed as "good" for a certain time and under certain conditions can be viewed as "not good" after that time and conditions are not relative anymore.
The OT Law is a perfect example of such ( the dietary ones for example).
I don't think that the cases where God seems to "change' His mind about what is "right and wrong" as case of that, I think they are cases of MAN being able to handle things better than in the past.
From the other thread where stoning is mentioned, is a perfect example.
I don't think that God ever saw stoning as good BUT it may have been a necessary "good" for the Hebrew people that need an extreme punishment to make them "see" how bad, BAD was.
Once that came to be, stoning was no longer "good".
This wasn't God changing His mind about what was good, but God accommodating what needed to be because of Man.
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

Another example might be what was necessary for Adam and Eve's children (marrying each other) but that is now (post Leviticus) called incest. Unless a Scripturally unmentioned wife was created via special creation (by God) for Cain - which seems unlikely as Scripture teaches all mankind sprang from Adam and Eve - then, it would appear that Cain married one of his sisters. Plus I would think that at such an early point of the initial population, the eventual dangerous genetic dangers of such a coupling did not yet exist.
pat34lee
Recognized Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by pat34lee »

PaulSacramento wrote: From the other thread where stoning is mentioned, is a perfect example.
I don't think that God ever saw stoning as good BUT it may have been a necessary "good" for the Hebrew people that need an extreme punishment to make them "see" how bad, BAD was.
Once that came to be, stoning was no longer "good".
This wasn't God changing His mind about what was good, but God accommodating what needed to be because of Man.
I think this just expands a little on what you said. There is a difference between right and wrong (good and evil), and the rules. Good is defined by God, and never changes. Evil is anything done that is not good.

Rules, on the other hand, change with circumstances.