More Ice?

Discussions about politics and goings on around the world. (Please keep discussions civil!)
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

More Ice?

Post by PaulSacramento »

Well, this is interesting...
http://www.absoluterights.com/the-scien ... ried-wolf/

It's freezing outside. Hundreds of historic low temperatures have been set in recent weeks around the country. Every single computer model that predicted the globe would be warmer over the last decade has been shown to be wrong. And now this.

“Antarctic sea ice has grown to a record large extent for a second straight year, baffling scientists seeking to understand why this ice is expanding rather than shrinking in a warming world. On Saturday, the ice extent reached 19.51 million square kilometers, according to data posted on the National Snow and Ice Data Center Web site. That number bested record high levels set earlier this month and in 2012 (of 19.48 million square kilometers). Records date back to October 1978.”

At this rate, instead of mourning the drowning polar bears, we're going to find ourselves fleeing for our lives from rampaging packs of them. And that's only if we are able to survive the rapidly advancing glaciers that accompany the spreading polar ice caps.

One wonders if even that would be enough to convince scientists that their assumption of a warming world is incorrect. Even a child is usually capable of discerning that if the ice in his glass of water is not melting, but the entire glass is starting to frost over instead, he is not in a warm environment.

I suspect it is easier for those of us who are middle-aged or older to view the gloomy pronouncements of a boiling planet with a properly skeptical eye because we are old enough to remember when the same doomsayers were predicting an ice age, assuming that mass starvation due to overpopulation didn't get us first. Not only didn't everyone starve, but everyone somehow actually managed to get fat and put on more than enough weight to survive a season or two of drought.

The lesson of the history of science is that scientists panic more easily than teenage girls. Imagine if world leaders had listened to them last time and ruined the global economy in order to save the planet by heating it up? In light of the fact that it's unseasonably cold outside, I can't say that it strikes me as a good idea to try to further cool things down. Especially when it's eventually going to occur to a scientist that the giant ball of fire in the sky probably has a lot more to do with the global temperature than anything Man has managed to do.

It would really behoove scientists to settle down and stop predicting disasters that never come to pass. After all, one of these times they're bound to be right and it would be really too bad if all their failed predictions of the past meant no one was listening to them anymore.

Vox Day is a national libertarian and the author of "The Return of the Great Depression" and "The Irrational Atheist." He is a former columnist for WorldNetDaily, Chronicle Features, and Universal Press Syndicate, and is a member of Mensa and IGDA. He also is the first writer in the history of the Science Fiction Writers of America to be expelled from the organization. Visit his blog, Vox Popoli.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: More Ice?

Post by RickD »

****Hot off the presses****

Al Gore has officially gone into hiding....
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
FlawedIntellect
Established Member

Post by FlawedIntellect »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HF9LNuH3IpU[/youtube]

This video discusses the subject of climate change and global warming, and it does bring up the Antarctica matter.

However, it presents a different view from that provided in the article Paul linked above.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

I find it funny the amount of misinformation that exists about global warming, every article I have read that denies global warming always focus on one small snippet of information and leaves out everything else that could harm their case.

If anyone has a decent article on why the globe isn't warming, I would love to see it.

I think people in certain locations get a perception that the globe isn't warming because their weather is getting colder, what people forget is that due to global warming weather patterns will change and depending on where you live it may get cooler than usual, this is why you have to look at temperatures on a global scale and not just local. Living in Australia we have been consistently setting record highs, records with extreme weather, and types of weather that we have never even had before (we have been getting small tornadoes in parts of the country that have destroyed properties, this is almost unheard of).

Ocean acidification is on the rise, the Great Barrier Reef is dying, fish populations are plummeting, soon the oceans will die and a great food resource will be gone.

I think the evidence on a global scale is overwhelming and I can see how some people may not see it on a local scale.
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

That is kind of the point:
Both sides are basing their views on the data that supports their view and aren't really addressing the issue(s).
The article above basically stated that the models that were done were wrong:
Every single computer model that predicted the globe would be warmer over the last decade has been shown to be wrong.

THAT is the argument to be questioned.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

PaulSacramento wrote:That is kind of the point:
Both sides are basing their views on the data that supports their view and aren't really addressing the issue(s).
Every single computer model that predicted the globe would be warmer over the last decade has been shown to be wrong.

Well, Frosty the Snowman, a Canadian from up North who lives near FL is on vacation here in these parts in the Western USA and decided to head east for awhile... Enjoy!!!

Oh yeeaah - It's Frosty's Fault nuthing ta do with Global this or that ...

Frosty the Snowman :guitar:

Frosty the Snowman, was a jolly happy soul,
With a corn cob pipe and a button nose, and two eyes made of coal.

Frosty the Snowman, is a fairytale, they say.
He was made of snow, but the children know he came to life one day.

There must have been some magic in that old silk hat they found,

For when they placed it on his head, he began to dance around!

Oh, Frosty, the Snowman, was alive as he could be;
and the children say he could laugh and play,
just the same as you and me.

Thumpety thump, thump, thumpety thump, thump,
look at Frosty go.

over the hills of snow.

Frosty the Snowman, knew the sun was hot that day,
so he said, "Let's run, and we'll have some fun now, before I melt away."

Down to the village, with a broomstick in his hand,
Running here and there, all around the square,
sayin', "Catch me if you can."

He led them down the streets of town, right to the traffic cop;

and only paused a moment, when he heard him holler, "Stop!"

For Frosty, the Snowman, had to hurry on his way,
But he waved goodbye, sayin' "Don't cry, I'll be back again some day."
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

B. W. wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:That is kind of the point:

Well, Frosty the Snowman, a Canadian from up North who lives near FL is on vacation here in these parts in the Western USA and decided to head east for awhile... Enjoy!!!

Oh yeeaah - It's Frosty's Fault nuthing ta do with Global this or that ...

Frosty the Snowman :guitar:

Frosty the Snowman, was a jolly happy soul,
With a corn cob pipe and a button nose, and two eyes made of coal.

Frosty the Snowman, is a fairytale, they say.
He was made of snow, but the children know he came to life one day.

There must have been some magic in that old silk hat they found,

For when they placed it on his head, he began to dance around!

Oh, Frosty, the Snowman, was alive as he could be;
and the children say he could laugh and play,
just the same as you and me.

look at Frosty go.

over the hills of snow.

Frosty the Snowman, knew the sun was hot that day,
so he said, "Let's run, and we'll have some fun now, before I melt away."

Down to the village, with a broomstick in his hand,
Running here and there, all around the square,
sayin', "Catch me if you can."

He led them down the streets of town, right to the traffic cop;

and only paused a moment, when he heard him holler, "Stop!"

For Frosty, the Snowman, had to hurry on his way,
But he waved goodbye, sayin' "Don't cry, I'll be back again some day."
-
-
-
Did somebody put sumthin in the water up thar in Colorado? t<):)
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
pat34lee
Recognized Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by pat34lee »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:I find it funny the amount of misinformation that exists about global warming, every article I have read that denies global warming always focus on one small snippet of information and leaves out everything else that could harm their case.

If anyone has a decent article on why the globe isn't warming, I would love to see it.

I think people in certain locations get a perception that the globe isn't warming because their weather is getting colder, what people forget is that due to global warming weather patterns will change and depending on where you live it may get cooler than usual, this is why you have to look at temperatures on a global scale and not just local. Living in Australia we have been consistently setting record highs, records with extreme weather, and types of weather that we have never even had before (we have been getting small tornadoes in parts of the country that have destroyed properties, this is almost unheard of).

Ocean acidification is on the rise, the Great Barrier Reef is dying, fish populations are plummeting, soon the oceans will die and a great food resource will be gone.

I think the evidence on a global scale is overwhelming and I can see how some people may not see it on a local scale.
Let's say that the people who promote global warming didn't really falsify the data for the sake of money and scientific notoriety. The earth is getting warmer. So what? There is data to suggest that the sun is to blame, as the moon and Mars are getting warmer too. Those who are blaming men fail to show how the amount of 'greenhouse gases' that we have emitted over the last few decades does not equal one fair size volcanic eruption. The earth has been warmer before, and that did not cause catastrophic destruction.
SkepticalSkeeter
Recognized Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by SkepticalSkeeter »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:I find it funny the amount of misinformation that exists about global warming, every article I have read that denies global warming always focus on one small snippet of information and leaves out everything else that could harm their case.

I'm with this guy.

If you're going to refute the science then refute the science. I've often seen arguments like "it's cold in my backyard so global warming is a hoax" and "some climate scientist's model was wrong in the 70's so obviously all subsequent climate science is rendered invalid" but I have yet to see a peer-reviewed, scholarly article refuting the thousands of peer-reviewed, scholarly articles that support man-made climate change.
pat34lee
Recognized Member

Post by pat34lee »

Thadeyus
Established Member
Christian: No

Post by Thadeyus »

Here's a link to an interesting site and an article on climate stuff.

=> http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronom ... doubt.html

Much cheers to all.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Global warming is of great concern to me. This is why I have decided to sell my RV with its gas-guzzling V10 and buy a new RV with a diesel engine. Now I'll be able to travel non-stop with a clear conscience.

I am also considering replacing my wood burning fireplace with a gas unit. And maybe I'll plant a tree.

FL t<):)
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

SkepticalSkeeter wrote:

I'm with this guy.

If you're going to refute the science then refute the science. I've often seen arguments like "it's cold in my backyard so global warming is a hoax" and "some climate scientist's model was wrong in the 70's so obviously all subsequent climate science is rendered invalid" but I have yet to see a peer-reviewed, scholarly article refuting the thousands of peer-reviewed, scholarly articles that support man-made climate change.
The article points out the the models for global warming are being shown as wrong.
Evidence of what is happening is, according to the artillery, refuting the models.
jcgood
Established Member

Post by jcgood »

I think that the debate and focus on global warming is misdirected, premature, and a media-driven distraction.

First; this U.S nation needs to have a real, civil discussion of what true, balanced, energy conservation looks like...what SMART utilization of
energy looks like.

Many European countries have wisely adopted and invested in extensive mass transportation over fifty years ago; and we don't even have
one bullet train in Southern California. The auto used for urban mass transit is a living dinosaur that should have died years ago. Why haven't car manufacturers designed and marketed a one-person vehicle; where the single commuting driver sits safely in the center? ...MONEY! They would rather sell a way more more expensive car that has 400 hp and 200 mph to people that can only legally drive 75 mph....and less than 5mph in congestion!!! And brainwashed people will go in debt for years ...for a virtual toaster with wheels!!! It's an amazing thing to behold..my friends!

There are many ways to conserve energy and raise revenues to support viable alternatives to dinosaur transportation technology. But the U.S. culture maintains its stubborn, narcissistic ways; and there are virtually no progressive, conservationist leaders....and no policy makers that are not being wined and dined by Big Energy. There has been a failure to break the spell of this inane obsession with noisy, polluting, appliances with wheels.

Just watch China....already; they are literally choking on their auto fumes. Yet, they have barely started coming into their era of decadent affluence.

Until we stop needing huge, gas guzzling SUV's, to "look good"....maybe we can have a meaningful dialogue. The insane U.S. consumption and waste of energy is
not sustainable indefinitely.

Can we connect the dots between walking and BMI? We should all hope so. Any questions?
Last edited by jcgood on Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by 1over137 »

Tell me guys, how much people started to user smaller cars and more efficient ones within last 10 years? I know that people are stopping to buy large inefficient cars.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart