The Christ Quake

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Gman
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

The Christ Quake

Post by Gman »

Some interesting new information is being investigated into the actual quake recorded in the Gospels at the time of Christ's death. Much of this is focused on earthquake activity at the Dead Sea, located 13 miles from Jerusalem. The Gospel of Matthew, Chapter 27, mentions that an earthquake coincided with the crucifixion:

Matthew 27:50-51 “And when Jesus had cried out again in a loud voice, he gave up his spirit. At that moment the curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom. The earth shook, the rocks split and the tombs broke open.”

To analyze earthquake activity in the region, geologists studied three cores from the beach of the Ein Gedi Spa adjacent to the Dead Sea. "Varves, which are annual layers of deposition in the sediments, reveal that at least two major earthquakes affected the core: a widespread earthquake in 31 B.C. and a seismic event that happened sometime between the years 26 and 36."

You can find out more about the project and trailer here: http://www.christquake.com/

Interestingly many geologists do confirm a fault line that runs through the Mount of Olives in Jerusalem right next to the temple mount.

In fact when Christ returns the Mount of Olives will split into two sections.

Zechariah 14:4 says, “On that day his feet will stand on the Mount of Olives, east of Jerusalem, and the Mount of Olives will be split in two from east to west, forming a great valley, with half of the mountain moving north and half moving south.”

Also a fault line was discovered under the Seven Arches hotel on the top of the Mount of Olives during the time of it's construction. "Its presence prohibited the Intercontinental Hotel (now called the Seven Arches Hotel) from being built on the brow of the Mount of Olives overlooking Jerusalem as originally planned. It was re-located to the south and built on more stable ground where it stands today."

The Great Vally Rift fault line at the Dead sea runs very close to Jerusalem as shown here. This area is known for it's numerous earthquakes.

The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Gman
Old School
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: The Christ Quake

Post by Gman »

Something interesting I found out as I was writing this. I found out today that when the Mount of Olives splits in two, the Jewish people will be able to escape through the mountain pass while Christ handles the armies pursuing them. Much like how the Jewish people escaped Pharaoh through the Red Sea. Interesting..

Zechariah 14:5 And ye shall flee to the valley of the mountains; for the valley of the mountains shall reach unto Azal: yea, ye shall flee, like as ye fled from before the earthquake in the days of Uzziah king of Judah: and the Lord my God shall come, and all the saints with thee.

The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Jmillerdoc
Newbie Member

Post by Jmillerdoc »

Nice post.
I was very blessed to be invited to accompany Mr. Larson on the follow up trip to Israel earlier this year to film the documentary. It was amazing to touch and feel the actual record of the quake on the day of the Cross. Known as a Seismite, the evidence of a quake left in the layers of varves is quite beautiful. Not too far in the future the Christ Quake Documentary will be released, hopefully we will make the target date of Easter 2016. Here is a link to an article about the upcoming documentary release, and it's "prequel" The Star of Bethlehem.

http://buddyhollywood.com/from-the-star ... ist-quake/

I look forward to more discussion here after the documentary is released. Until then, blessings to everyone here!
Jeff
RandyBonnette
Newbie Member

Post by RandyBonnette »

Hello Jeff,

Here's the updated article by Paula Parker: “The Christ Quake” is a Brilliant Investigation of the Event that Shook the World. I've been looking for reviews and critics' remarks, but found only this topic and Paula's comments and feedback in the post on BuddyHollywood. Any other interesting and useful resources?
RandyBonnette
Newbie Member

Post by RandyBonnette »

Jmillerdoc wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:58 am Nice post.
I was very blessed to be invited to accompany Mr. Larson on the follow up trip to Israel earlier this year to film the documentary. It was amazing to touch and feel the actual record of the quake on the day of the Cross. Known as a Seismite, the evidence of a quake left in the layers of varves is quite beautiful. Not too far in the future the Christ Quake Documentary will be released, hopefully we will make the target date of Easter 2016. Here is a link to an article about the upcoming documentary release, and it's "prequel" The Star of Bethlehem.

http://buddyhollywood.com/from-the-star-of-bethlehem-fast essay-by-film-edi ... ist-quake/

I look forward to more discussion here after the documentary is released. Until then, blessings to everyone here!
Jeff
The resource that I mentioned in the previous post: http://buddyhollywood.com/the-christ-qu ... the-world/
P.S.: Glad to join the community.