Thoughts on Eternal Security (Specific verses included)

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Thoughts on Eternal Security (Specific verses included)

Post by RickD »

philipthewise wrote:
So, if our salvation, once attained, is "sealed" and "promised" by God (the "Guarantee"), then to lose it, would God not have to break His sealed word and promise to "complete" HIS promised salvation?
:amen:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
vanquish29
Familiar Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by vanquish29 »

As I begin this study, I must make some statements. First, every Christian is struggling with sin. Temptation is always at our doorstep, and sometimes we fall into the sin. The child of God Repents, even if we must repent over and over again, we repent! We call out to Jesus to help us. Our hearts desire to serve the Lord, and we strive to turn away from sin and walk in obedience. To those who fall into this description, I wish to assure you, your salvation is secure with Christ. But there are others, who use this security as a license to freely sin against God, and walk in disobedience, without a heart of repentance, feeling secure of their salvation while trampling Jesus underfoot and insulting the Holy Spirit of Grace (Heb. 10:29)! This study is written to confront these deceived souls, who may very well be in danger of perishing!

Did Jesus ever teach that once you are saved, that you cannot lose your salvation? We are assured eternal security, yes, but only to those who remain in the faith until the end. To those who Obey Him and overcome!

“Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.” (Matt.7:21)

Mat 21:28-31
But what think ye? A certain man had two sons; and he came to the first, and said, Son, go work to day in my vineyard. He answered and said, I will not: but afterward he repented, and went.
And he came to the second, and said likewise. And he answered and said, I go, sir: and went not. Whether of them twain did the will of his father? They say unto him, The first.

If you will read the remaining verses in Matthew 21, it was the Pharisees who, after telling the Father they would obey, disobeyed God anyway. Then, there were those who at first, refused to obey while they were living in sin, but then repented, and DID THE WILL OF THE FATHER. It is no different than some today who trust on the OSAS doctrine to save them, like those pharisees who trusted that as children of Abraham, they were safe and secure while they continued to sin against God. After repentance and confessing Jesus Christ as Lord these OSAS students who trust their security, willfully return to their sinful vomit and live in disobedience to God, and claim that as Children of God, they will not have to pay the "wages of sin", which is death!

“For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning. 21For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them. 22But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire.” (2 Peter 2:20-22)

“Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.” (Matt.7:21)

Hebrews 5:9 “And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him”;

Acts 5:32 And we are his witnesses of these things; and so is also the Holy Ghost, whom God hath given to them that obey him.

UNLESS WE REMAIN IN CHRIST, WE WILL PERISH!

Once saved Always saved teachers have disregarded the "IF" in the scriptures. It is a condition! I will give you $50 IF you will cut my grass. If you do NOT cut my grass, the $50 is NOT yours!

"Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; [2] By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory (hold fast, retain) what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain." (1 Cor. 15:1-2 )

Albert Barne's Commentary explains this verse as "The idea is, that they were saved by this, or would be, if they faithfully retained or held the doctrine as he delivered it; if they observed it, and still believed it..."

John Gill's Exposition of the Entire Bible puts it this way "it is the man that perseveres in the faith and doctrine of Christ that shall be saved; and everyone that has truly believed in Christ, and cordially embraced his Gospel, shall hold on, and out to the end;"

Compare the above scripture in 1 Cor. 15:1-2 with the Galatian church that did NOT retain the gospel that Paul preached and had "fallen from grace". The end result of their fall from grace was that "Christ is become of NO effect unto you" !

"Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace". (Galatians 5:4)
This church was in grave danger of losing their salvation, having fallen from grace, by which Christ had become of no effect to them. Paul now labored to recover them before they were completely lost as he wrote this letter.

"My little children, of whom I travail in birth again until Christ be formed in you," (Galatians 4:19)

If the people of this church were so very secure in their salvation, Paul would not have written this letter with the concearn by which he wrote it, and the warnings of the fact that they have forsaken Christ and fallen from grace!

Later in this study, I will deal with the difference between "Works of the Law" which Paul was dealing with in the letter to the Galatians, and "Good Works" which James spoke of in his letter!

We shall now continue with the conditional "IF"!

“Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off.” (Romans 11:22)

“If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned” (John 15:6)

And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled In the body of his flesh through death, to present you holy and unblameable and unreproveable in his sight: If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel... (Col 1:21-23 KJV)

Apostacy

The book of Hebrews warns the Christian brethren not to depart from God from an evil heart of unbelief, which can be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin. Again, the conditional “if” is mentioned for those who believe and remain “stedfast to the end”! A backslider, whose heart is being hardened because of his sins, is in danger of departing from the living God! The brother whose heart is hardened because of his sin, ultimately departs from the Lord and denies the God who bought them.

Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God. [13] But exhort one another daily, while it is called To day; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin. [14] For we are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end; (Hebrews 3:12-14)

We are even warned, that in these last days there would be those who would "depart from the faith" such as defined in Hebrews 3:12-14 above and prophetically spoken of in the following verses below. These are those who, depart from God, leave the faith and loose their salvation! How do OSAS teachers explain away the following scriptures without wilfully doing harm to God's Word?

1 Tim. 4:1
Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;

2 Thes. 2:3
Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away (apostacy) first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;

The word “depart” in Hebrews 3:12-14 and 1 Tim. 4:1 is "aphistemi" (Greek 575) and means to remove, revolt, desist, desert, depart, draw away, withdraw self. The word "falling away" in 2 Thes. 2:3 is apostasia, ap-os-tas-ee'-ah; feminine of the same as Greek 647 (apostasion); defection from truth (properly the state) ["apostasy"] :- falling away, forsake.

By definition, these verses are clearly speaking about Christians whom have turned away from the faith!

That is the reason why Hebrews 3:13, and 10:23-25 declares we must exhort each other daily and remain in the assembly of believers (church), that our faith remains strong, our conviction against sin remains pure, and our profession of faith does not waiver, provoking each other to love and "good works":

Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised;) [24] And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works: [25] Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching. (Hebrews 10:23-25)

A brother that is living in sin by which his heart is being hardened, and has forsaken the church assembly, may be in grave danger of departing from the faith and losing his salvation! James 5:19-20 instructs us who are in the faith to attempt to turn such a person back to the truth to save his soul from death. Again, you will see the "if" condition.

Brethren, if any of you do err from the truth, and one convert him; [20] Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins. (James 5:19-20)

Please note the word "Soul" not "body"! By correcting the false error of the fallen brother, the one who converts him, will have saved his soul from hell and the grave! I pray that my study will save some souls from death and damnation!

Hebrews, warning against backslidding!

“For if we sin willfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins, 27But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries. 28He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses: 29Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace? 30For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people.” (Hebrews 10:26-29)
UsagiTsukino
Valued Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by UsagiTsukino »