Size of the universe,why is so big???

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Car
Acquainted Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Size of the universe,why is so big???

Post by Car »

This question and evolution of course are the 2 things that make me doubt God existence's,why universe is so big ,how can I believe that a God made all those enormous planets ,gigantic black holes and big stars?How can this be explained?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Size of the universe,why is so big???

Post by RickD »

Car wrote:This question and evolution of course are the 2 things that make me doubt God existence's,why universe is so big ,how can I believe that a God made all those enormous planets ,gigantic black holes and big stars?How can this be explained?
I know it's long, but if you're interested in the Old Earth/Progressive Creationist perspective, this video may answer some of your questions:
Why the Universe is the Way it is
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
hughfarey
Advanced Senior Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by hughfarey »

Lovely question. Lots of answers.
1) What makes you think the universe is big? Bigness is a unit of comparison. Without another universe we have no way of knowing whether it's big or small. It's just the size it is.
2) The laws governing the functioning of universe, created by God, decree that the fastest speed the universe can expand at is the speed of light, that the universe is actually expanding at the speed of light, and that it started about 14 300 000 000 years ago. It's just maths.
3) Had the laws of universe been even a tiny bit different, it wouldn't be so big, and there wouldn't be any humans to wonder why it was so small (or it would be even bigger, but there still wouldn't be any humans about to wonder at it!).
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

Big, compared to?????

Smaller universes?
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Mallz
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Mallz »

To shortly continue on what hughfarey was saying, our universe, and our placement of timing in it allows us to observe the way in which it was created, following it back to a point in time, the big bang. The universe is as big as it is because it needs to be, its a component of not only life, but our ability to observe what it says and gain knowledge. Again, if we were sooner or later existing in the time we are now we'd be unable to decipher how our universe expands.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Car wrote:This question and evolution of course are the 2 things that make me doubt God existence's,why universe is so big ,how can I believe that a God made all those enormous planets ,gigantic black holes and big stars?How can this be explained?
Here's simple response.

God created the universe very small, but it expanded over 13.8 billions years.

Does that help?
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female

Post by 1over137 »

Kurieuo wrote:
Here's simple response.

Does that help?
I think, next question is: why it expanded into such a large universe? ;)
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

1over137 wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
Here's simple response.

Does that help?
I think, next question is: why it expanded into such a large universe? ;)
One word: Energy. ;)

Here's a good article: http://scienceblogs.com/startswithabang ... se-expand/
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

My question was directed at something else. I will ask this way now: why properties of the universe were so, that it expanded into such a large universe?

I do not ask on my behalf, but on the behalf of the original poster. I think he wonders why things are created so, that we now eventually live in such a large universe. I know what I would reply, but would like to see other's replies. ;)

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.

#foreverinmyheart
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

1over137 wrote:My question was directed at something else. I will ask this way now: why properties of the universe were so, that it expanded into such a large universe?

I do not ask on my behalf, but on the behalf of the original poster. I think he wonders why things are created so, that we now eventually live in such a large universe. I know what I would reply, but would like to see other's replies. ;)
I know. It's called avoidance... but since you pressed matters.

Having experiences this questions from others, I suspect the poster is really asking something like why is it so big and complex with so many stars, and galaxies, planets and the like, if it's simply meant to be solely designed for us who are but a speck in the totality of it all.

My real reply, would be something along the lines of: God could have built us a house without any windows, but thankfully we are provided with a privileged position in space and time where we can look out of our windows and marvel at the universe in its immense beauty. Such, no doubt causes even Atheists to wonder in awe and feel something akin to a spiritual connection whelming up inside.

So, why not?
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

My own answer would be very similar.

#foreverinmyheart
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

Why so big? To declare His glory!

“The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky above proclaims His handiwork.” And "Day to day pours out speech, and night to night reveals knowledge."

There is no advertising like God's! He made sure we couldn't miss that which is so extraordinary, so expansive and filled with indescribable beauty, constantly, in existence before mankind, in its exclaiming God's existence, power and Glory!

And as the universe's expansion points back to its beginning, it remind us that there was and is a BEGINNER!

I can remember before the Hubble Telescope being amazed by the stars and heavens - and NOW, it's as if we have some spectacular cosmic glasses that REALLY allow us to see God's majesty and the spectacular beauty which sprang from His mind, voice and hands, yet with a far greater closeness and appreciation.