To be humbled

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

To be humbled

Post by Silvertusk »

Has anyone here ever been truely humbled. As well as love I consider being humbled to be a truely powerful emotion, sometimes overwhelming. I for one don't think I ever experience true humbling. I have been impressed and certainly awed to an extent - but not humbled.

Can anyone here share an experience where they have been truely humbled beyond belief?

God Bless

Silvertusk
seedling
Recognized Member

Post by seedling »

Hi Silvertusk,

I think this is a great question, one of the more deeper ones that I have read on this board. It has been hanging around in my head for awhile now and I find it interesting that no one has posted an answer to such an important question. I would think every Christian would have had some experience with this, if not every human being on earth.

Maybe the greatest humbling experience for some people is of a highly personal nature ... maybe that's why no one is sharing, and that is understandable. Anyway, you have me thinking of things in my life that have truly humbled me (the ones I can share) and maybe I will post them.

You say you have been impressed and awed to an extent. But not humbled. What have you been impressed and awed by?
j316
Established Member
Christian: No

Re: To be humbled

Post by j316 »

Silvertusk wrote:Has anyone here ever been truely humbled. As well as love I consider being humbled to be a truely powerful emotion, sometimes overwhelming. I for one don't think I ever experience true humbling. I have been impressed and certainly awed to an extent - but not humbled.

Can anyone here share an experience where they have been truely humbled beyond belief?

God Bless

Silvertusk
I think I have been spared the degree of what you suggest because I seem to have had lesser experiences of it scattered throughout my life. The world said long ago that my ego was too big and it seems intent on reinforcing it on a regular basis.
seedling
Recognized Member

Post by seedling »

Then perhaps you still have some interesting and wonderful experiences to look forward to, J316 :)
Prodigal Son
Christian: No

Post by Prodigal Son »

i think i'm humbled everytime i think of God. definately when i talk to him.
New Creation
2 Corinthians 5:7
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Silvertusk »

seedling wrote:Hi Silvertusk,

I think this is a great question, one of the more deeper ones that I have read on this board. It has been hanging around in my head for awhile now and I find it interesting that no one has posted an answer to such an important question. I would think every Christian would have had some experience with this, if not every human being on earth.

Maybe the greatest humbling experience for some people is of a highly personal nature ... maybe that's why no one is sharing, and that is understandable. Anyway, you have me thinking of things in my life that have truly humbled me (the ones I can share) and maybe I will post them.

You say you have been impressed and awed to an extent. But not humbled. What have you been impressed and awed by?

Hi Seedling.

Sorry I have taken so long to get back to you. I am afraid getting married and going on honeymoon got in the way. :D :D :D

I have have been impressed and awed by music, or shows - a big concert. I have been awed by beautiful scenery (recently in Lake Garda in Italy - beautiful!!!) I have been impressed by stories from people about their lives - but even though I feel I should be humbled by these things I don't think I have truely experienced it yet.

I have this romantic notion that once I am humbled, tears will just just fall from me unchecked - I will at the same time feel infinitely insignificant and yet infintely important at the same time. Any notion of selfishness will vanish and yet I will be happier than I have ever been in my life. I am pretty certain this has not happened yet. Allthough I have to admit religious experiences usually bring me close.

I wonder whether people might misterpret humbling as being stepped upon and lessened in anyway but like I said before, true humbling must be the most incredible feeling.

I guess only face to face with God will bring that about.

Silvertusk.
seedling
Recognized Member

Post by seedling »

Hi Silvertusk,
Congratulations on your marriage! :D
I have been thinking about this on and off, and ... I wouldn't say humbling is being stepped upon and lessened but ... I think it's when we realize that in a sense there is something going on much greater than us. We are a part of it, but we are not "it."

I think being humbled is being able to accept that ... there are things we can't do and there are things we don't know ... and that sometimes we have to accept help maybe from someone else or perhaps we have to admit that we don't have all the answers ... like recently I had an experience ... a close relative has been very very sick for about 5 years now. She is in a place with other very sick people. And every time I go there I can get very angry that people can be so sick and suffer like this. But when I realize it does me no good to get angry and all I can do is accept the things that are and do so with a stout heart, an accepting heart, not a bitter heart, I feel this is an example of a humbling experience ... it sounds like a negative experience, but it is not ... it's like, through acceptance, through this "humbling", I think we are opened up inside and our heart is enlarged toward others and we seem to acquire an unusual kind of strength that is powered by love coming from an open and broken heart ... and this in some strange way allows us to have something to share with people besides despair ...

To be truly humbled, I think, is to realize that you are not what you think you are ... you're not "all that" ... and in truly realizing this, you open yourself up to experience things beyond your wildest dreams and you become someone you never thought you would become.

Anyway ... just some thoughts ...