Differences in Conservative and Liberal Brains

Discussions about politics and goings on around the world. (Please keep discussions civil!)
Dudeacus97
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Differences in Conservative and Liberal Brains

Post by Dudeacus97 »

Here's an interesting study that I just found on Facebook. What do you think?

http://2012election.procon.org/view.res ... eID=004818

Just remember, attacking either ideologies based on this data is considered an ad hominem attack, since you are attacking the person holding the ideology rather than the ideology itself.
"Christianity has always embraced both reason and faith."
-Dinesh D'Souza

"Stop listening to John Lennon and start listening to John Lennox! What about a world without the atheists? A word with no Stalin, no Mao, no Pol Pot? A world with no Gulag, no Cultural Revolution, no Killing Fields? Wouldn't that be a world worth dreaming about?"
-John Lennox
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Re: Differences in Conservative and Liberal Brains

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

Not sure if any of those apply to me, I usually vote for the smaller candidates in my country which usually sit between the left and right wing major parties.

I usually vote for the party that has the best policies concerning the poor people of this world. For example this year I voted for "Rise Up Australia" party because of their asylum seeker policy as both major parties wanted to continue with offshore processing which a) I think is a waste of money b) is inhumane.

I don't dogmatically follow any particular party, I guess I am a swing voter depending on policy.

I find that I never fully agree with all policies of any party and that includes the one I voted for.

Nothing is ever as black and white as these studies make them out to be, but maybe things are a little different in Australia compared with the states.

The way it works here is that most business people vote Liberal (right wing) as they look after business and most workers vote Labor (left wing) as they tend to look after the workers.

Dan
Last edited by Danieltwotwenty on Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Dudeacus97 wrote:Here's an interesting study that I just found on Facebook. What do you think?

http://2012election.procon.org/view.res ... eID=004818

Just remember, attacking either ideologies based on this data is considered an ad hominem attack, since you are attacking the person holding the ideology rather than the ideology itself.
IMHO - that study is pure hogwash... and filled with bias slant toward one group alone ... not worth the time to read.

A Spurious study...
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

One thing I would like to point out is that in the Australian two party preferred system, the labor (left wing) party is more left leaning than your liberal (left wing) party and our liberal (right wing) party is more left leaning than your conservatives (right wing). Our right wing party it pretty much on par with your left wing party, does this mean we are more progressive. 8)

Does that mean Australia as a whole is more American Liberal (left wing) minded, I don't think so, I think it is way more complicated and intricate than these studies make out.

Depending on what information you submit or omit will skew the results of any statistic, I tend to find statistics as an indicator but not completely factual.
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
jcgood
Established Member

Post by jcgood »

What about politically moderate people? People who can understand the value of the concept of both/and; instead of either/or. Is the glass half
full, half empty, or both? hmmmm? ...Where have all the moderates gone?...la la la la la la...to the tune of a familiar folk song.
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Ivellious »

IMHO - that study is pure hogwash... and filled with bias slant toward one group alone ... not worth the time to read.

A Spurious study...
I don't know, these are 16 different studies that have all been independently reviewed for peer-reviewed journals...And most of them aren't particularly surprising to me, or don't have any sort of positive or negative implications. Only one of them to me seems to negatively present conservative thinking.
What about politically moderate people? People who can understand the value of the concept of both/and; instead of either/or. Is the glass half
full, half empty, or both? hmmmm? ...Where have all the moderates gone?...la la la la la la...to the tune of a familiar folk song.
I would assume that political moderates would fall in the middle of most of these studies, or have a greater range of responses. However, most of these studies seemed to pick out liberals and conservatives in order to find psychological differences between the two, since presumably it wold be easier to draw conclusions on the differences of two very different groups as opposed to two somewhat similar groups.