Please Introduce Yourself Here

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Anonymous

A New Newbie!

Post by Anonymous »

Hello Everyone!

I just registered today after finding this website. The God and Science website is fantastic and covers loads of information that I have wanted to know for a while.

Some info on me...

I live in Southend-on-Sea, Essex, England and have been a Christian since the Passion of the Christ came out. I saw the movie and since I had been 'curious' to religion generally and especially Christianity. I had friends at work who were Christians and I enjoyed talking with them and sharing views with them. One day whilst I was doing some temp work for the Royal Mail and I got into this deep religious debate with a Zimbabwian. Just talking about God, Jesus, Abortion, Homosexuality etc...
Since that day I really wanted to get to know Christianity better. However I was too embarrassed to attend a Church as in my ignorance I had a negative stereotype of what Christians were in my head. I thought Churches were only attended by old people(later to find out that this was nonscence). I became a Christian after I had seen the Passion the second time. I spoke with a man named Tony Anthony who shared his testimony with me and afterwards we said a prayer together and I commited my life to Christ there and then. I started attending Church and my negative stereotypical ideas had been blown away. The whole Church seemed so friendly and everyone was treating everyone like they were an extended family. I got to know a few people and gradually built up friendships with the people Tony had introduced me to. After that I attended the Alpha course and enjoyed meeting people with different backgrounds and at different destinations in their Journey with Christ.
After the Course ended I decided to make a committment to Jesus by getting Baptised and telling my story infront of an audience. It was an amazing experience and I have been attending the Church about 7 months now.

I had some problems in my childhood with Dyslexia. I was bullied a lot and got called 'thick' every single day. I got real help when I went to College and got put in a once a week Dyslexic class. one of whom was a Christian and I talked with her also about Christianity.
I have definately benefited immensell since becoming a Christian and have made so many friendships with good, kind and honest people that you dont often find these days.
The church website http://www.lrbc.org.uk

Look forward to getting to know youguys,

Simon
Felgar
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No

Post by Felgar »

Awesome story Knight - it just brightenned my day! And welcome to the forums!
Shirtless
Established Member

Post by Shirtless »

Yes, welcome! I just joined as well, and your story is a lot like mine, except about church. I don't think that being embarassed of going to church is ignorant. Church leaders should stop making it such a dry, boring, stiff experiance that's not very enjoyable. I've never gone to church w/out feeling uncomfortable or anxious. You have to dress up nice as if it's a funeral, and there's always that baby crying in the back. The communion should be more fun!
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Hi,
Just became a member after reading much of the board. I find many points to agree with and others that cause thought. I would like to say thank you to those who keep this board up and running. Please feel free to contact me on board topics that I may write anything about. I welcome honest discussion of seeking Gods relationship with us and how the Word plays in that relationship.
Felgar
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Felgar »

Hi OhHenry,

Welcome to the forums. I'm curious, do you have some form of teaching position within the church, or are you more just a curious fellow like me? At any rate, judging from your other posts you certainly have some valuable insight to offer. Further to that, there are a few ongoing threads that I find very interesting, and maybe you will too.

There's our everlasting argument about the doctrine of OSAS: http://discussions.godandscience.org/viewtopic.php?t=59

There's a follow-up to OSAS regarding heavenly reward: http://discussions.godandscience.org/vi ... .php?t=145

And a thread about voilence in the OT and reconciling that with a loving God:
http://discussions.godandscience.org/vi ... .php?t=108

The discussion of the Midianites provides an in-depth look at one of those violent OT situations.
http://discussions.godandscience.org/vi ... .php?t=156

If you have comments on any of the above please share them. :)
Prodigal Son

Post by Prodigal Son »

Last edited by Prodigal Son on Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Thanks for the welcoming guys,

Luckily the Church that I chose to go to was a good choice and it doesnt seem boring at all. The minister Steven Hembury is a very good speaker and conducts his services in a enjoyable and interesting manner. The Church doesnt have a strict dresscode or anything.

I definately made a good choice in picking this Church.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Hi all,

I'm a maths undergrad from Cambridge, UK. I'm currently atheist, but (I hope that) I'm open to the possibility that I'm dead wrong.

My parents are also atheist, buth my grandparents are/were all Christian to some extent, so I've been raised in a predominantly atheist environment with some religious influences (for example I attended Sunday School).

During the second half of secondary school (age 15-19 approx.) I attended a Christian youth club run by a church that one of my friends went to. I wasn't converted, but I had great fun discussing religion and philosophy with the leaders (hope I wasn't too irritating...). It's very useful to get a different perspective on life, and I feel (hope) I emerged a better person

Currently I'm 19 and attending Cambridge University, where I consistently fail to do enough work, a situation that posting to this message board will not help resolve (if I go suddenly quiet it's due to a panic attack or to guilt). I'm still interested in philosophy - if I'm incorrect on any point, it's far better to find out as soon as possible. I'm mostly posting here in the hope of finding interesting concepts, honing my debate/discussion skills and finding out more about the Christian subset of my fellow men. And possibly being converted - there's always hope :)

Good to meet you all.
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

Atheist? I eat atheists for breakfast!

Just kidding, but welcome. It's nice to see an open minded atheist once in a while.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Mastermind wrote:It's nice to see an open minded atheist once in a while.
And good to see an equally openminded Christian. I was interested by your comments on astral projection and the like in a couple of threads. I tried out the methods suggested online once but didn't get anywhere - is there any website in particular that you'd recommend? I figure that if I'm opening my mind to Christianity, it's only sensible to open it to other "paranormal" stuff :)
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

I read a book a while ago, by some former atheist of Indian origin. His last name was Mistry, and that is about all that I remember about him. Maybe you can try finding it at a library, as it was a very interesting read. In addition, you might want to be patient. According to Mistry, it usually takes about 2 weeks of patient practice before bed(if you were Christian, I could suggest praying, as it undoubtedly has a good effect on your soul, thus increasing its ability) before you could dream to see any results. I managed it in about 4 days of irregularity, but then again I am often subject to psychic anomalies (i've disrputed electronics like radios and computers, and even walked out of a library with security rivaling Alcatraz with an book that I forgot to check out, and that by all laws of known physics should have beeped on quite a few occasions) so I don't really count. In addition, I believe a good % of american adults experience OBBs accidentally, so you might get lucky, although I wouldn't rely on that.
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

One more thing, other paranormal stuff may not(and I believe Are not) atuomatically be unrelated to Christianity. In fact, Jesus himself used telekinesis once.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Most Christians I know would argue that it's not "just" telekinesis if Jesus is doing it. I think they mostly want to guard against Him being mistaken for "just another" magician. Probably best to stick to less controversial terminology?

By the way, I couldn't find Mistry - Google knows him not. I'll keep looking around. By a wonderful coincidence I now have about 2 weeks free - I'll give the astral projection another go. If nothing else, the meditation will probably do my brain some good :)
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

I don't recall one instance where God broke the laws of physics, and since i find psychic ability to be proven as far as I am concerned, it is only logical to conclude that Jesus would use either one of the two theoretical forces that we dont know much about (psychic and magical, the first of which refers to the ability of intelligence to manipulate matter, and the second which refers to the ability given by an outside force, such as prayer). Then again, I do have a wild imagination. :p
August
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by August »

Hi Everyone,

I'm 37, and have been a Christian since 1988. I am also immensely curious and enthusiastic about all things related to God and his creaton. I have studied many things around the Bible, but only recently have I re-energized my search for answers around God and science. I have discussions with atheists, evolutionists and believers, as well as reading a lot on the subject.

I don't believe in young-earth, there is too much evidence against it. I believe in God as an active designer of the universe, and guidance and participation in our daily lives.

I live in Frisco, Texas, just outside of Dallas with my wife and 2 children.

Nice to meet y'all.