Scripure says the Earth is flat??

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
FallenFromGrace
Newbie Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Scripure says the Earth is flat??

Post by FallenFromGrace »

Isaiah 11:12
12 And he shall set up an ensign for the nations, and shall assemble the outcasts of Israel, and gather together the dispersed of Judah from the FOUR CORNERS OF THE EARTH. (KJV)

Revelation 7:1
1 And after these things I saw four angels standing on FOUR CORNERS OF THE EARTH, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, nor on the sea, nor on any tree. (KJV)

Job 38:13
13 That it might take hold of the ENDS OF THE EARTH, that the wicked might be shaken out of it? (KJV)

Jeremiah 16:19
19 O LORD, my strength, and my fortress, and my refuge in the day of affliction, the Gentiles shall come unto thee from the ENDS OF THE EARTH, and shall say, Surely our fathers have inherited lies, vanity, and things wherein there is no profit. (KJV)

Daniel 4:11
11 The tree grew, and was strong, and the height thereof reached unto heaven, and the sight thereof to the ENDS OF ALL THE EARTH: (KJV)

Matthew 4:8
8 Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them; (KJV)

Astronomical bodies are spherical, and you cannot see the entire exterior surface from any place. The kingdoms of Egypt, China, Greece, Crete, sections of Asia Minor, India, Maya (in Mexico), Carthage (North Africa), Rome (Italy), Korea, and other settlements from these kingdoms of the world were widely distributed.

The flat Earth is established and can never move?! The Sun hurries back to where it rises?!

"He set the earth on its foundations; it can never be moved. (From the NIV Bible, Psalm 104:5)"

"The LORD reigns, he is robed in majesty; the LORD is robed in majesty and is armed with strength. The world [The deceiving translators should've said "earth", not "world"] is firmly established; it cannot be moved. (From the NIV Bible, Psalm 93:1)"

"Say among the nations, "The LORD reigns." The world [Again, the deceiving translators should've said "earth", not "world"] is firmly established, it cannot be moved; he will judge the peoples with equity. (From the NIV Bible, Psalm 96:10)"

"The sun rises and the sun sets, and hurries back to where it rises. (From the NIV Bible, Ecclesiastes 1:5)"

Since when the Earth is flat and can never move?! We all know that the Earth and the other planets rotate and move in space around the Sun. Since when the Sun hurries back to where it rises, like if there is some hole it rises from and another hole it sets through on Earth?!

The Earth has pillars?!

"He shakes the earth from its place and makes its pillars tremble. (From the NIV Bible, Job 9:6)"
"Where were you when I laid the earth's foundation? Tell me, if you understand. (From the NIV Bible, Job 38:4)"

The Earth has Edges?!

"that it might take the earth by the edges and shake the wicked out of it? (From the NIV Bible, Job 38:13)"
"He unleashes his lightning beneath the whole heaven and sends it to the ends of the earth. (From the NIV Bible, Job 37:3)"
"for he views the ends of the earth and sees everything under the heavens. (From the NIV Bible, Job 28:24)"
"Their measure is longer than the earth and wider than the sea. (From the NIV Bible, Job 11:9)"

Does Isaiah 40:22 really say that Earth is Round?

It is quite clear that the above Biblical Verses suggest and claim that the Earth is flat, has Edges, has Four Corners, has Pillars, and has Foundations. No unbiased person would deny the straight forward quotes above.

Let us look at what the Verse says:

"He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth, and its people are like grasshoppers. He stretches out the heavens like a canopy, and spreads them out like a tent to live in. (From the NIV Bible, Isaiah 40:22)"

First of all, a circle is not a ball or sphere or an egg-shaped object. A circle is a flat round surface, similar to flat rectangular, or square, or triangular surfaces. So if the Bible claims that the Earth is a circle, then this is still bogus because the earth is obviously not a flat surface.

We have two conditions here:

1- Isaiah 40:22 is claiming that the Earth is a flat circle.

2- Isaiah 40:22 is claiming that the Earth has a circle above it.

If we were to take condition #1, then we are left with a clear and irrefutable contradiction between Isaiah 40:22 and some of the Bible's verses that I mentioned above in the article, because a flat circle doesn't have "four corners", and ironically in either case, we still have a scientifically false claim about the Earth's shape.

IF we were to take condition #2, then it doesn't prove that the Earth is an egg-shaped figure, and Isaiah 40:22 surely becomes irrelevant to this subject.

One thing is for sure clear, and that is Isaiah 40:22 is obviously ambiguous and not clear if we wish to prove from it that the Earth is not flat and is egg-shaped. If we look at what the entire Bible says (as presented above by all the Verses) about the shape of the Earth as the Roman Catholic Church did in the past, then we would reach the same conclusion they reached, and that is: The Earth is Flat!

Certainly, when Christopher Columbus thought that he could reach India by going west in the Atlantic ocean instead of east as it was traditionally done, the Church in Europe was afraid that he will eventually reach the "end of the earth" and the "Edges of the earth" as the Bible clearly says above, and fall off into the space and die.

After he was able to convince the Queen that the adventure was worth the try, Christopher Columbus had survived several assassination attempts while he and his people were sailing in the ocean, because his Christian Church-believing mates were afraid and wanted to go back.

When he finally found America, he thought he reached India. That's why the North American Continent was called "India", and the Native Americans were called "Red Indians".

This is at least what I learned from my "US History" class when I was in High School.

The light of the Universe and the flat earth's dimensions in the Bible:

1. Job 37:33 He unleashes his lightning beneath the whole heaven and sends it to the ends of the earth.

Lighting doesn't travel around the earth the biblical God thought his earth was a small, flat one.

2. Job 38:44 "Where were you when I laid the earth's foundation?Tell me, if you understand. Who marked off its dimensions? Surely you know! Who stretched a measuring line across it?

If the author of the bible thought of a globe earth then the last question in job 38: 44 should of read "Who stretched a measuring line around it?"

Job 38:13 That it might take hold of the ends of the earth, that the wicked might be shaken out of it?
Does a sphere have ends, and how can you grab the ends of a sphere? Only a flat disc or square could be grabbed and shaken in this way.

This was an article I stumbled upon.. And now I'm afraid because if you look at these scriptures it seems to be saying what I think it's saying.. Can I get some help here.. This is creating a sort of stumble in my faith I guess..
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Re: Scripure says the Earth is flat??

Post by B. W. »

Isaiah 40:18, 22, To whom then will you liken God? Or what likeness will you compare to Him? .... 22 It is He who sits above the circle of the earth, And its inhabitants are like grasshoppers, Who stretches out the heavens like a curtain, And spreads them out like a tent to dwell in. NKJV

Notice - circle of the earth - so no the bible does not tech a flat earth - people do...

Question - what is poetic licence, an idiom, an analogy, symbolism? How are these used and why?

Answer these and you'll discover the same used in the bible regard your topic
-
-
-
P.S. the other day, it rained cats and dogs in Denver....
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
PeteSinCA
Valued Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by PeteSinCA »

Here is a relevant quote from a blog post about Bible interpretation I wrote a couple of years ago:
Figures of speech - Look for the point of similes, metaphors and hyperbole rather than trying to interpret such figures of speech literally (e.g. Deuteronomy 4:24 and Hebrews 12:29 or Matthew 23:37).
The blog post is not earth-shatteringly insightful, but it does communicate a fair number of ideas succinctly.

But if woodenly literalistic Bible interpretation is your thing, you will have loads of fun with the books of Daniel and Revelation!
Soapy Pete's Box

So I'll stand // With arms high and heart abandoned
In awe of the One Who gave it all - The Stand, Hillsong United

"To a world that was lost, He gave all He could give.
To show us the reason to live."
"We Are the Reason" by David Meece

"So why should I worry?
Why should I fret?
'Cause I've got a Mansion Builder
Who ain't through with me yet" - 2nd Chapter of Acts
PeteSinCA
Valued Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by PeteSinCA »

B. W., was that canine and feline precipitation around the time of sunrise or sunset? And did all of Denver get that canine and feline precipitation? Or did some parts only get the feline or canine type? For that matter, did all of Denver get rain? Or just most of Denver.

IOW, sometimes people use generalizations for the sake of brevity.
Soapy Pete's Box

So I'll stand // With arms high and heart abandoned
In awe of the One Who gave it all - The Stand, Hillsong United

"To a world that was lost, He gave all He could give.
To show us the reason to live."
"We Are the Reason" by David Meece

"So why should I worry?
Why should I fret?
'Cause I've got a Mansion Builder
Who ain't through with me yet" - 2nd Chapter of Acts
DowTingTom
Familiar Member
Christian: No

Post by DowTingTom »

B. W. wrote:Isaiah 40:18, 22, To whom then will you liken God? Or what likeness will you compare to Him? .... 22 It is He who sits above the circle of the earth, And its inhabitants are like grasshoppers, Who stretches out the heavens like a curtain, And spreads them out like a tent to dwell in. NKJV

Notice - circle of the earth - so no the bible does not tech a flat earth - people do...

Question - what is poetic licence, an idiom, an analogy, symbolism? How are these used and why?

-
-
-
A circle is a 2 dimensional shape. Flat.

The earth is (roughly) a sphere. 3 dimensional.

You might (if you were being sloppy) describe a dinner plate as a circle.

You would have to be being extraordinarily careless to describe a ball as a circle.
Icthus
Established Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Icthus »

DowTingTom wrote:
B. W. wrote:Isaiah 40:18, 22, To whom then will you liken God? Or what likeness will you compare to Him? .... 22 It is He who sits above the circle of the earth, And its inhabitants are like grasshoppers, Who stretches out the heavens like a curtain, And spreads them out like a tent to dwell in. NKJV

-
-
-
A circle is a 2 dimensional shape. Flat.

The earth is (roughly) a sphere. 3 dimensional.

You might (if you were being sloppy) describe a dinner plate as a circle.

You would have to be being extraordinarily careless to describe a ball as a circle.
Except that the Hebrew word used is "chuwg" which can refer to either since Hebrew at the time didn't have a separate word for "sphere."
“The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and left untried.” -G.K. Chesterton
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

You beat me to it Icthus, it means both circle and sphere because they did not have a word specific word for sphere.

Tom I would suggest watching this flash from the main site as it answers all flat Earth questions http://www.godandscience.org/ppt/Atheist_Myths1.html

Dan
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

How many still use those very terms today?
Lots.
Do any of them believe the earth is flat?
No.

As for the whole"circle VS sphere" thing.
Pretty irrelevant quite honestly since all we would be doing is guessing as to what the writer may or may not have known.
Funny though, it is quite obvious that "four corners" and "ends" would be simply "poetic license" if the writers saw the earth as a "circle/sphere".
We kind of answer our own questions there.
Baltazorg
Familiar Member

Post by Baltazorg »

DowTingTom, going by your comment you seem to confuse the type of writing that each of the writers were doing. For instance Isaiah 40:22 also states we are grasshoppers and the heavens are a tent, if you take it literally that is. However I hope it is clear to you that this verse is symbolic in its nature. The word used is chuwg but it doesn't necessarily imply that that the earth is a sphere, it does mean however, circuit, circle, etc. The Hebrew language had a variety of meanings for each word so it most certainly doesn't directly imply the earth is flat either. As for the four corners of the earth and the ends of the earth seems to me to be just figurative language and is in no case referring to the actual form of the earth, plus we use them today in a very similar context to that of the bible, this doesn't mean that we think the earth has ends or four corners. I will pray that you will come to The Lord. God Bless .
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

The bible technically don't comment on earth structure as an authority, some authors have done this using poetic license and even then their point was not to show the structure of the planet rather they used these words to convey a different meaning, nowhere is the writer trying to tell you that the earth is flat. so whoever thinks that bible teaches flat earth needs to study what he is talking about.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com