What about vestigiality?How can this be explained?

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Car
Acquainted Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

What about vestigiality?How can this be explained?

Post by Car »

I probably have a wisdom tooth growing ,so while I was reading information about I read that it is a vestigial thing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_vestigiality ,this is a proof of human evolution,but if God created us then why he gave these traits that they are no longer useful for us?I am just asking here,because there are many questions to ask about God
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: What about vestigiality?How can this be explained?

Post by Ivellious »

Depends on your perspective. If you believe everything was created as-is just thousands of years ago, then vestigial organs and features in organisms make zero sense. Especially with how numerous examples of vestigial features are, especially in animals.

Of course, if you believe in evolution (which vestigial organs are remnants of, at least using a scientific explanation), then there is no real conflict. In fact, vestigial features are logical within evolutionary theory, even theistic evolution.
PeteSinCA
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: What about vestigiality?How can this be explained?

Post by PeteSinCA »

Most/all "vestigial" structures really are not vestigial. They have important functions. Back when the concept of vestigiality was concocted, the structures deemed vestigial simply had functions that were either unknown or considered unimportant. And it was, to some degree, self-perpetuating - what kind of career would one have if the focus of one's work is considered "vestigial" (can you day, "Dead-end job"?)? I think the concept of vestigiality really amounts to a mix of incomplete human knowledge and failure to fully recognize how finely tuned the human body in fact is (as David said in Psalm 139, "fearfully and wonderfully made").
Soapy Pete's Box

So I'll stand // With arms high and heart abandoned
In awe of the One Who gave it all - The Stand, Hillsong United

"To a world that was lost, He gave all He could give.
To show us the reason to live."
"We Are the Reason" by David Meece

"So why should I worry?
Why should I fret?
'Cause I've got a Mansion Builder
Who ain't through with me yet" - 2nd Chapter of Acts