www.oldearth.org

Discussions on creation beliefs within Christianity, and topics related to creation.
Philip
Site Owner
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

www.oldearth.org

Post by Philip »

Anyone here familiar with www.oldearth.org?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Re: www.oldearth.org

Post by RickD »

Philip wrote:Anyone here familiar with http://www.oldearth.org?
I was pretty familiar with them, a few years ago when I was doing my Old Earth Creationism research. Why?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Just happened across them. Thought someone might have been interacting with them.

As for the recent issues on carbon and dating of the earth's age, they have a listing of articles here: http://www.oldearth.org/radiometricdating.htm
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

While I've never interacted with them, I got a lot of info from the site when I was first learning about OEC. If I remember, they're more of an OEC/TE site. Although they did speak favorably of Hugh Ross.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Dudeacus97
Established Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Dudeacus97 »

RickD wrote:While I've never interacted with them, I got a lot of info from the site when I was first learning about OEC. If I remember, they're more of an OEC/TE site. Although they did speak favorably of Hugh Ross.
The website is mainly neutral when it comes to different Old-Earth positions, although it does put up articles supporting theistic evolution theologically along with answering some YEC misrepresentations of the theory. When regarding science, the website simply points to Talk Origins for info. I've been on it and it's a pretty good source for biology, but their objections to the Bible's inspiration are less than sound. On Hugh Ross, he does criticize him in a chart of different Old Earth beliefs. When talking about evolution, the founder, Greg Neymen, says this:
As a progressive creationist, I do not believe in evolution. However, it is a valid belief system, and Theistic Evolutionists are free to believe it if they choose. After all, it may be the correct theory, and we cannot be dogmatic in our condemnation of it.
I love this website. What I especially love about it is that he respects Young-Earth Creationists when he goes against their claims. Most sources I've found are very derogatory (and I don't blame them when they come across such psuedoscience) and ridicule their opponents a lot. I am certainly not a Young-Earth Creationist, but reading material like that feels unpleasant and does not make the author look very sophisticated.
"Christianity has always embraced both reason and faith."
-Dinesh D'Souza

"Stop listening to John Lennon and start listening to John Lennox! What about a world without the atheists? A word with no Stalin, no Mao, no Pol Pot? A world with no Gulag, no Cultural Revolution, no Killing Fields? Wouldn't that be a world worth dreaming about?"
-John Lennox
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

but their objections to the Bible's inspiration are less than sound
And THAT should give ALL Christians pause for concern - glad you enlightened us on it, as this makes me wonder if they don't have far more faith in science than the Bible.
Dudeacus97
Established Member

Post by Dudeacus97 »

Philip wrote:
but their objections to the Bible's inspiration are less than sound
And THAT should give ALL Christians pause for concern - glad you enlightened us on it, as this makes me wonder if they don't have far more faith in science than the Bible.
The author of the site was apparently a Christian when he made it (he also made another website called Creation Crisis), but he later became an atheist. I saw a blog he wrote, and it's all the same dribble that you see from typical "ex-evangelicals." He also apparently doesn't know how to back up his claims. For example, on this blog he said that the Bible is loaded with contradictions, although he gave no examples. Why? Is he too afraid we'll take it apart? He also did not allow comments, but if he did I could have easily refuted all of it. (His "index of creationist claims" on Talk Origins also only does things with numerated points with only a sentence or two to back them up. My post has more content than them.)

They also had a rather poor answer to fine tuning: life evolved itself to fit the universe. This does not work because any form of evolution could not have happened if life did not exist in the first place. He also claimed that fine-tuning weakens the power of an almighty creator, even though there is no logical reason for God to have made a universe that does not support life in the first place only to populate it with life and constantly sustain it with a very, very long miracle.
-Dinesh D'Souza

"Stop listening to John Lennon and start listening to John Lennox! What about a world without the atheists? A word with no Stalin, no Mao, no Pol Pot? A world with no Gulag, no Cultural Revolution, no Killing Fields? Wouldn't that be a world worth dreaming about?"
-John Lennox
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Dudeacus, thanks for the additional illumination on this organization.
Dudeacus97
Established Member

Post by Dudeacus97 »

Philip wrote:Dudeacus, thanks for the additional illumination on this organization.
I'm not sure if it's an organization. It might just be one guy, but if it is it's just one guy with a lot of spare time. I might make a thread just on this website.
-Dinesh D'Souza

-John Lennox
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Dudeacus97 wrote:
Philip wrote:Dudeacus, thanks for the additional illumination on this organization.
I'm not sure if it's an organization. It might just be one guy, but if it is it's just one guy with a lot of spare time. I might make a thread just on this website.
If you do, post the link to your thread, please. :D

-Edward R Murrow