Curious Of How Prayer Works

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
Believer
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: No

Curious Of How Prayer Works

Post by Believer »

Okay, I don't know the exact scripture in the Bible, but from what I remember, two or more people are needed in prayer to be effective. I don't think I have ever come across any scripture in the Bible that says that ones self in prayer is effective, it is always two or more gathered. So the question is, is prayer effective by praying by yourself, two or more in prayer, or can it be both? If you could provide scripture, that would help. The reason I brought this up is because I was talking to my mom about religion like I do all the time and she really doesn't know the answer, so it would be great help for the both of us.
Felgar
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Felgar »

When two or more are gathered in prayer their prayer will be answered. Matthew 18:19-20 But that does not preclude our prayers as individuals from being answered. Remember that we created to have a personal relationship with God.

Matthew 7:7-8
"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened."

John 15:16
You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit—fruit that will last. Then the Father will give you whatever you ask in my name.
Once4all
Familiar Member

Post by Once4all »

There is some interesting information about this topic here:

http://www.religioustolerance.org/prayer.htm

Note, however, that the above is a multi-faith website. I find that sometimes helpful because the writing is more objective, not pushing one group's doctrine or theology over another.

Once4all
ray
Recognized Member

prayer of one

Post by ray »

Something to think about - Abraham prayed for Sodom and Gomorrah and God listened - Moses prayed for the children of Israel and God listened and did not destroy them. I can't think of the exact verses but I think you get the idea.

Ray
j316
Established Member

Post by j316 »

I can tell you that I have had prayers answered when I prayed for someone who needed help. I believe that God listens to those who listen to Him and will answer theit requests.
Atticus Finch
Recognized Member

Post by Atticus Finch »

Jesus often left early in the morning to pray outside by himself.