Say my campaign manager stole my election for me?

Discussion for Christian perspectives on ethical issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sexuality, and so forth.
ultimate777
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Say my campaign manager stole my election for me?

Post by ultimate777 »

Suppose I am elected governor against a candidate from a corrupt political machine? For a year I have given my state good government in the opinion of the overwhelming majority? I find out my brother, my campain manager, stole the election for me? What should I do?

This is very loosely based on the TV show "The Good Wife" with the intensity ratcheded up just a bit ;)
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female

Re: Say my campaign manager stole my election for me?

Post by 1over137 »

I would resign.

And when majority of people liked my governing, they may in the next election give me votes.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
ultimate777

Post by ultimate777 »

1over137 wrote:I would resign.

And when majority of people liked my governing, they may in the next election give me votes.
That is what I would like to do, it would be the easiest thing. But the people might be at someone elses mercy for a while. And my relationsip with my brother would be damaged.

In the show I mentioned its the candidate's wife and children who have found out on election night on the last episode of the season. Should they tell him? The campaign manager is not a brother but the most trusted friend in the candidates career. If he is diminished the candidate may possibly be seriously harmed emotionaly beyond repair.

I may be able to give you some links if you want them. Or you could try Googling the "Good Wife" and its episode guide.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

ultimate777 wrote:Suppose I am elected governor against a candidate from a corrupt political machine? For a year I have given my state good government in the opinion of the overwhelming majority? I find out my brother, my campain manager, stole the election for me? What should I do?
A year afeter your election, you are getting generous grants towards your own re-election from various corporations. Construction companies have since re-modeled your home into the envy of the neighborhood, just because they appreciate your governance! Another company has donated their lakeside mansion for your private use. An aircraft manufacturer who wants to establish in your state on public land zoned for park use has generously donated a new bizjet and crew after you approved the re-zoning. Oh! check this out: a local yacht manufacturer has just introduced a 75-foot vessel christened Ultimate 777. No one even askes you for anything in return! (officially)

Oh yes, you asked,
ultimate777 wrote:What should I do?
Give your brother a cushy job that pays in the high six-figures. You wanna make sure he stays happy.

FL :mrgreen:
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

About the brother: if there is some damage he is the reason. He should know you are honest man and do not like cheating. He put you into hard situation.

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.

#foreverinmyheart
ultimate777

Post by ultimate777 »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
ultimate777 wrote:Suppose I am elected governor against a candidate from a corrupt political machine? For a year I have given my state good government in the opinion of the overwhelming majority? I find out my brother, my campain manager, stole the election for me? What should I do?
A year afeter your election, you are getting generous grants towards your own re-election from various corporations. Construction companies have since re-modeled your home into the envy of the neighborhood, just because they appreciate your governance! Another company has donated their lakeside mansion for your private use. An aircraft manufacturer who wants to establish in your state on public land zoned for park use has generously donated a new bizjet and crew after you approved the re-zoning. Oh! check this out: a local yacht manufacturer has just introduced a 75-foot vessel christened Ultimate 777. No one even askes you for anything in return! (officially)

Oh yes, you asked,
ultimate777 wrote:What should I do?
Give your brother a cushy job that pays in the high six-figures. You wanna make sure he stays happy.

FL :mrgreen:
Let's you and 1over fight :clap:
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

:duel:

#foreverinmyheart
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

The Old Testament's record of the kings of Israel & Judea is clear: power corrupts. All of these kings sinned. Many of the most godly Kings sinned greatly: David, Solomon, and Asa, to name but three. The corruption of the godly Kings was bad enough but what of the corruption of the ungodly Kings?

So, what manner of pride or arrogance must one have to assume that one will not be corrupted by power?

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:The Old Testament's record of the kings of Israel & Judea is clear: power corrupts. All of these kings sinned. Many of the most godly Kings sinned greatly: David, Solomon, and Asa, to name but three. The corruption of the godly Kings was bad enough but what of the corruption of the ungodly Kings?

So, what manner of pride or arrogance must one have to assume that one will not be corrupted by power?

FL
So, am I supposed to assume that all will be corrupted when being e.g. governors?

#foreverinmyheart
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

1over137 wrote: So, am I supposed to assume that all will be corrupted when being e.g. governors?
The Bible doesn't say that ''all will be corrupted'' when given power. The Bible implies that human nature is corrupt and seeks its own interests, not the interests of God. As an illustration of this, I suggested a look at the Kings of Israel & Judea. Most of these Kings were very corrupt and served their own interests. Even the greatest Kings fell into deep sin.

Indeed, in the majority of countries, ''all is corrupted'' because the rulers and the ruling classes seek their own interests to varying degrees. If you think corruption is bad in a nominally Christian country like your own, corruption is worse in most countries without a Christian tradition. Think of Bangladesh, Guyana or Kazakhstan to name but three.

There is also an element of the surreal in Ultimate777's original conundrum. No one ever comes to power in a vacuum. There are always helpers, volunteers, financial backers, corporate sponsors, and a political party in the best of countries. In the others, we must add the army, paid thugs, corrupt media and bullets, all of which are there ensure the victory of a candidate.

So...I understand that you answered,
...and so would I. Unfortunately, the reality is that we may not be able to resign because we would be too deep in our sin to even recognize it...and even if we recognized it, we would probably find a way to justify it. Such is our nature, Dr Hana.

FL

+ + +

+ + +
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

Thanks FL for your post.

I did not want to speculate about corruption of politics. I gave unswer I would resign since I do not want to advice bad things like 'be corrupted even more'.

#foreverinmyheart
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

1over137 wrote:I did not want to speculate about corruption of politics. I gave unswer I would resign since I do not want to advice bad things like 'be corrupted even more'.
I wasn't speculating about corruption in politics. I was demonstrating that we are inherently corrupt. We corrupt everything we touch, period.

If you have time, read about Hannah Arendt. Her various books touch on power and the inherent evil of societies.

FL

+ + +

+ + +
ultimate777

Post by ultimate777 »

1over137 wrote: So, am I supposed to assume that all will be corrupted when being e.g. governors?
The Bible doesn't say that ''all will be corrupted'' when given power. The Bible implies that human nature is corrupt and seeks its own interests, not the interests of God. As an illustration of this, I suggested a look at the Kings of Israel & Judea. Most of these Kings were very corrupt and served their own interests. Even the greatest Kings fell into deep sin.

Indeed, in the majority of countries, ''all is corrupted'' because the rulers and the ruling classes seek their own interests to varying degrees. If you think corruption is bad in a nominally Christian country like your own, corruption is worse in most countries without a Christian tradition. Think of Bangladesh, Guyana or Kazakhstan to name but three.

There is also an element of the surreal in Ultimate777's original conundrum. No one ever comes to power in a vacuum. There are always helpers, volunteers, financial backers, corporate sponsors, and a political party in the best of countries. In the others, we must add the army, paid thugs, corrupt media and bullets, all of which are there ensure the victory of a candidate.

So...I understand that you answered,
...and so would I. Unfortunately, the reality is that we may not be able to resign because we would be too deep in our sin to even recognize it...and even if we recognized it, we would probably find a way to justify it. Such is our nature, Dr Hana.

FL
I am beginning to think I should have framed the question as it actually was in the show as I saw it. Although you probably would have complained about that.
ultimate777

Post by ultimate777 »

1over137 wrote:I did not want to speculate about corruption of politics. I gave unswer I would resign since I do not want to advice bad things like 'be corrupted even more'.
I wasn't speculating about corruption in politics. I was demonstrating that we are inherently corrupt. We corrupt everything we touch, period.

If you have time, read about Hannah Arendt. Her various books touch on power and the inherent evil of societies.

FL
That is one reason for my revulsion against all non-democratic regimes. Do you share my revulsion, FL?
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

ultimate777 wrote:Do you share my revulsion, FL?
No. Democracies are corrupt as well.

FL

+ + +

+ + +