Needing some apologetics resources for a friend

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
DRDS
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Needing some apologetics resources for a friend

Post by DRDS »

Hi everyone, I was curious as to if any of you all know about any resources for any apologetics groups or organizations that address the topic of how believers should live? Also, if anyone can't find any such resource for an apologetics perspective I figure any reputable standard ministry will work. Just as long as they are not part of the Paul and Jan Crouch, Benny Hinn, Joel Osteen hersey club. lol So if anyone knows of anything feel free to pass it along. Thanks!
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Needing some apologetics resources for a friend

Post by Canuckster1127 »

I'm sure there are many such resources out there. I gave up a long time ago trying to figure out how I "should" live. Now I just live out of whom God says I am. It took me many years to realize the answers I thought I needed and had with all my "shoulds" were to the wrong question.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

You kind of have to have a few different sites like the CARM and the apologetsics press and others because you will get different views on things.
Apologetics is, at its core, opinion and one must always keep that in mind.
We must read both sides of the argument.
DRDS

Post by DRDS »

Man alive! I'm sorry! I'm sorry! Dude! It wasn't even something I was wanting to know. It was for a friend of mine. And it really wasn't for my friend. It was a question that many of their Sunday school teens or kids wanted to know. And my friend wanted resources. Man, people anymore are becoming so cold, rude and mean it's insane. Oh well, thanks for fulfilling endtime prophecy about people being cold hearted.
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

DRDS wrote:Man alive! I'm sorry! I'm sorry! Dude! It wasn't even something I was wanting to know. It was for a friend of mine. And it really wasn't for my friend. It was a question that many of their Sunday school teens or kids wanted to know. And my friend wanted resources. Man, people anymore are becoming so cold, rude and mean it's insane. Oh well, thanks for fulfilling endtime prophecy about people being cold hearted.
DRDS, who is this addressed to, and more importantly, how in the world did you come to such a conclusion from either post above? y:-/
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Canuckster1127
Old School

Post by Canuckster1127 »

You're reading a tone in there apparently that I didn't intend. My answer was sincere and it wasn't intended to be dismissive. My answer really is how I view a lot of the apologetics that are structured teaching resources of institutions. Their value is limited in my opinion and experience. It's far more effective to learn and grow in a connected context of relationship and community where things are more caught than taught.

There's no shortage of apologetics materials out there. In many ways, we are an apologetics site, so I'd suggest looking at the main page or home site here. There are many resources there for those interested.

Just hit "home site" up in the top left corner at the top of this page and then look at the directory there.

Sorry for causing you offense. Again, that wasn't my intent, but I do stand by my answer.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
bippy123
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by bippy123 »

Bro, I would recommend any of the good apologists out there that talk about agape love and how to try to integrate it into our live
Peter kreeft is a good one
http://www.peterkreeft.com/topics/love.htm

Ravi Zacharias is another giant in this area.
http://jameslau88.com/love_gives_life_meaning.html

I would also recommend C.S. Lewis's "the 4 loves"
http://www.cslewis.org/resources/studyg ... 0Loves.pdf

You can't go wrong with this trio, especially for what your post is about bro
:)
CallMeDave
Valued Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by CallMeDave »

DRDS wrote:Hi everyone, I was curious as to if any of you all know about any resources for any apologetics groups or organizations that address the topic of how believers should live? Also, if anyone can't find any such resource for an apologetics perspective I figure any reputable standard ministry will work. Just as long as they are not part of the Paul and Jan Crouch, Benny Hinn, Joel Osteen hersey club. lol So if anyone knows of anything feel free to pass it along. Thanks!
There is a very good section on how we should live / objective moral laws , etc...in my favorite book called :'I Dont Have Enough Faith to be an Atheist' by Dr. Frank Turek and Dr. Norman Geisler available thru www.amazon.com . It shows WHY there are objective moral laws, how they arrived , and that whether something is right or wrong is in accordance to Gods very nature, character, and Person.........and not on the whimsical ideas , desires, lusts of MAN for his own self centered benefit aka: moral relativism .
"I never asserted such an absurd proposition, that something could arise without a Cause" -- staunch atheist Philosopher David Hume.

"What this world now needs is Christian love or compassion" -- staunch atheist Bertrand Russell.
domokunrox
Valued Member

Post by domokunrox »

My primary resource is
http://www.arcapologetics.org/
They go straight to the point. No beating around the bush.
I also augment my arguments with Descartes

along with Anselm's work

However, my resources more so are geared toward my field. I do counter cult apologetics (specializing in countering eastern philosophy & religion). It may vary differently with you depending on what you need resources for.

One suggestion, stay away from CARM. Their arguments beat around the bush a lot and too many of their arguments are fallacious from the get go.
DRDS

Post by DRDS »

Thank you all so much for the resources, my friend said they helped greatly! Thanks again!
DRDS

Post by DRDS »

domokunrox wrote:My primary resource is
http://www.arcapologetics.org/
They go straight to the point. No beating around the bush.
I also augment my arguments with Descartes

along with Anselm's work

However, my resources more so are geared toward my field. I do counter cult apologetics (specializing in countering eastern philosophy & religion). It may vary differently with you depending on what you need resources for.

One suggestion, stay away from CARM. Their arguments beat around the bush a lot and too many of their arguments are fallacious from the get go.
I agree, Carm can be a very strange place. It's like a "zombie brawl pit" for theology discussions. Little to no progress ever gets made and people leave there feeling confused, hurt and MAD.
DRDS

Post by DRDS »

Oh, and um, sorry about that Bart.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

DRDS wrote:
I agree, Carm can be a very strange place. It's like a "zombie brawl pit" for theology discussions. Little to no progress ever gets made and people leave there feeling confused, hurt and MAD.
Are you referring to the forum at CARM? I think the main site, CARM.org, overall, is a pretty solid apologetics site. I really can't speak about the forum though, as I really haven't spent much time there.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
DRDS

Post by DRDS »

That's affirmative RickD, it's not there site, but their message boards and chatroom. It leaves A LOT to be desired. That's why I really love this site and message board. It's nothing like Carm, it's still the best apologetics board I've ever been to and that's what I tell everyone I come across.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

The one thing is do suggest is to ALWAYS try to research as many sides of the :argument" as possible, if nothing else you learn to understand where conflicting views come from and why they exist.