Jesus' bodily ressurection

Discussions surrounding the various other faiths who deviate from mainstream Christian doctrine such as LDS and the Jehovah's Witnesses.
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Jesus' bodily ressurection

Post by FFC »

The JWs seem to glean from the scriptures that Jesus did not rise bodily but spiritually in the resurrection. What about John 2:19-21? Did Jesus speak falsely here?
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
Sargon
Established Member
Christian: No

Post by Sargon »

Good point.
jurek
Acquainted Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Jesus' bodily ressurection

Post by jurek »

19 Jesus answered and said to them, “Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.”
20 Then the Jews said, “It has taken forty-six years to build this temple, and will You raise it up in three days?”
21 But He was speaking of the temple of His body.

How come you interpret this in a "spiritual" sense? What is the evidence you support your view on? It was a body, even though it seemed to display quite different abilities, like being not constrained by the closed door. Maybe we are talking here about the "saved matter" or restored matter rather than "spiritual" in the Eastern sense? What would you say to this?
"But there's always a purpose in nonsense. Don't bother to examine a folly ”” ask yourself only what it accomplishes." (Ayn Rand)
"Don't give to dogs what belongs to God. They will only turn and attack you. Don't throw pearls down in front of pigs. They will trample all over them." (Matthew 7:6)
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

FFC wrote:The JWs seem to glean from the scriptures that Jesus did not rise bodily but spiritually in the resurrection. What about John 2:19-21? Did Jesus speak falsely here?
Jesus' resurrected body was flesh and bone ( no blood), he could be touched and ate.
That is explicit in scripture.
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

jurek wrote:19 Jesus answered and said to them, “Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.”
20 Then the Jews said, “It has taken forty-six years to build this temple, and will You raise it up in three days?”
21 But He was speaking of the temple of His body.

How come you interpret this in a "spiritual" sense? What is the evidence you support your view on? It was a body, even though it seemed to display quite different abilities, like being not constrained by the closed door. Maybe we are talking here about the "saved matter" or restored matter rather than "spiritual" in the Eastern sense? What would you say to this?
Who are you asking? This thread hasn't been active since 2006.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
jurek
Acquainted Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by jurek »

Sorry for confusing things… I did not know how it works, I hoped that the threads – even if dormant for long time – can be “resuscitated” because with time we reflect, learn, and acquire new insights and understandings. My question was directed to those who either participated in the original exchange or came across the thread just surfing for interesting thoughts as was in my case.
"But there's always a purpose in nonsense. Don't bother to examine a folly ”” ask yourself only what it accomplishes." (Ayn Rand)
"Don't give to dogs what belongs to God. They will only turn and attack you. Don't throw pearls down in front of pigs. They will trample all over them." (Matthew 7:6)