Family Guy

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Dudeacus97
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Family Guy

Post by Dudeacus97 »

Stygian wrote:
Also, the only other episode that largely had religious themes is their episode on evolution.
Ah, yes. A Clockwork Origin I believe. I enjoyed that episode as well, with Farnsworth's famous line, "I don't want to live on this planet anymore." Just a correction, though, I'm pretty sure Farnsworth left Earth because he was fed up with the Creationists, and found a little 'planet' for him to live on. The water wasn't clean, so he sent out the nanobots to clean it up, and then they began evolving, much to Bender's joy. =D

I liked that episode too, since it challenges the notion that all can be explained with science.

Futurama is generally a smarter show, but it's not free from the blatant, less intelligent remarks most shows have.
Yeah, I think that's how it went. I didn't remember it as well. I wasn't paying attention most of the time, so I just inferred that's what happened after watching the beginning. I wonder how a show that makes fun of atheists a lot would go, and not in a "see, they're not so different from those stupid, bible-thumping Christian rednecks or those woman-suppressing, suicide-bombing Muslims!" kind of way. There is so much absurdity, logical fallacies, and misinformation in the New Atheist Movement that it deserves a bunch of pot shots.

I'm already starting to write a TV Show that has an episode like that. Of course, the entire show isn't based on a Christian message, but at least one episode is. It's also one of the only two I finished, with the other one being a camping episode. I'll explain it if you want me to.
"Christianity has always embraced both reason and faith."
-Dinesh D'Souza

"Stop listening to John Lennon and start listening to John Lennox! What about a world without the atheists? A word with no Stalin, no Mao, no Pol Pot? A world with no Gulag, no Cultural Revolution, no Killing Fields? Wouldn't that be a world worth dreaming about?"
-John Lennox
Stygian
Established Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Stygian »

Dudeacus97 wrote:I wonder how a show that makes fun of atheists a lot would go, and not in a "see, they're not so different from those stupid, bible-thumping Christian rednecks or those woman-suppressing, suicide-bombing Muslims!" kind of way. There is so much absurdity, logical fallacies, and misinformation in the New Atheist Movement that it deserves a bunch of pot shots.
I still do prefer those that have a sort of 'open ended' message (again bringing up O Brother, Where Art Thou?). But I'd not mind seeing that at all! :lol: It'd be nice to hear some more intelligent, critical humor from a creationist perspective.
Dudeacus97
Established Member

Post by Dudeacus97 »

Stygian wrote:
Dudeacus97 wrote:I wonder how a show that makes fun of atheists a lot would go, and not in a "see, they're not so different from those stupid, bible-thumping Christian rednecks or those woman-suppressing, suicide-bombing Muslims!" kind of way. There is so much absurdity, logical fallacies, and misinformation in the New Atheist Movement that it deserves a bunch of pot shots.
I still do prefer those that have a sort of 'open ended' message (again bringing up O Brother, Where Art Thou?). But I'd not mind seeing that at all! :lol: It'd be nice to hear some more intelligent, critical humor from a creationist perspective.
Yeah, I noticed that open-ended messages and anti-Christian messages are generally more accepted in comedy than Christian ones. Did you know that the most controversial page on Encyclopedia Dramatica is Atheism? The very first thing it says is a warning that it has caused more flame wars and "butthurt" (being extremely offended) than all other page on religion combined.

If I was going to make some humor from a creationist perspective, it would certainly have to do with all of the strawman arguments against it. Oh my G-d. I'm going to go off on a limb to say that I have only seen about 3-5 arguments against creationism in my life that were not strawmen. I guess I shouldn't even take the other position seriously if bad jokes about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and logical fallacies are the only way they can bring forth their argument.

Do you want me to post some quick snippets of that show I was talking about?
-Dinesh D'Souza

"Stop listening to John Lennon and start listening to John Lennox! What about a world without the atheists? A word with no Stalin, no Mao, no Pol Pot? A world with no Gulag, no Cultural Revolution, no Killing Fields? Wouldn't that be a world worth dreaming about?"
-John Lennox
Dudeacus97
Established Member

Post by Dudeacus97 »

Does anybody think that shows like Family Guy that make fun of Christianity constantly might turn people away from Christianity?
-Dinesh D'Souza

-John Lennox
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Dudeacus97 wrote:Does anybody think that shows like Family Guy that make fun of Christianity constantly might turn people away from Christianity?
I think that every religion has its elements that can be made fun of.
The issue is when a falsehood is passed off as "fact" for the sake of humour.
Anyone that gets turned away form anything because of a comedy show or the opinion of another is, well, sheep.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Here is an example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38x6kWB-xD4

Propagating one of the many "myths" about the "pagan roots" of Christmas.
theophilus
Valued Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by theophilus »

PaulSacramento wrote:I think that every religion has its elements that can be made fun of.
This is true but Family Guy is actually attacking Christianity itself, not just exposing the flaws of those who profess to be Christian but don't live up to its teachings.
The issue is when a falsehood is passed off as "fact" for the sake of humour.
And that is what is happening on Family Guy and a lot of other popular programs.
Anyone that gets turned away form anything because of a comedy show or the opinion of another is, well, sheep.
Many of the people who watch Family Guy have no knowledge of what Christianity is. It really isn't their fault if they accept what they hear as being true.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

theophilus wrote: Many of the people who watch Family Guy have no knowledge of what Christianity is. It really isn't their fault if they accept what they hear as being true.
I disagree, I do NOT go to cartoons are comedies to get "educated" about things.
If I want to know about something I research it.
IF, however, I am looking for a reason to not believe or to justify what I THINK something is, then I will believe what/who states a view(s) that are similar to mine, even if it is a silly TV show.
And that is really the issue I think.
theophilus
Valued Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by theophilus »

PaulSacramento wrote:
theophilus wrote: Many of the people who watch Family Guy have no knowledge of what Christianity is. It really isn't their fault if they accept what they hear as being true.
I disagree, I do NOT go to cartoons are comedies to get "educated" about things.
It doesn't matter why you are watching. Viewers are affected by the opinions they hear on tv whether or not they realize it.