Something to consider.....

Discussions surrounding the various other faiths who deviate from mainstream Christian doctrine such as LDS and the Jehovah's Witnesses.
1stjohn0666
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Something to consider.....

Post by 1stjohn0666 »

Is there a specific text in the bible that says one "must" believe that Jesus is God to be saved? Is there a text that even implies such an idea? what are your thoughts?
cheezerrox
Established Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Something to consider.....

Post by cheezerrox »

Galatians 2:16 says,

"..nevertheless knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the Law but through faith in the Messiah Jesus, even we have believed in the Messiah Jesus, so that we may be justified by faith in the Messiah and not by the works of the Law; since by the works of the Law no flesh will be justified."

So, it's faith in Jesus that saves and justifies us. And faith is only as good as the object OF that faith.

Whether Jesus is G-d or not makes a big difference in who that faith is in.

So, while Scripture doesn't literally say, "Believe that Jesus Christ is G-d and you will be saved," it doesn't need to. It would be redundant. It says so by implication by presenting Him as G-d throughout the Scriptures and saying that we're saved by faith in Who He is and what He's done.
"The prophet is a man who feels fiercely. G-d has thrust a burden upon his soul, and he is bowed and stunned at man's fierce greed. Frightful is the agony of man; no human voice can convey its full terror. Prophecy is the voice that G-d has lent to the silent agony, a voice to the plundered poor, to the profaned riches of the world. It is a form of living, a crossing point of G-d and man."
- Abraham Joshua Heschel
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

cheezerrox wrote:Galatians 2:16 says,

"..nevertheless knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the Law but through faith in the Messiah Jesus, even we have believed in the Messiah Jesus, so that we may be justified by faith in the Messiah and not by the works of the Law; since by the works of the Law no flesh will be justified."

So, it's faith in Jesus that saves and justifies us. And faith is only as good as the object OF that faith.

Whether Jesus is G-d or not makes a big difference in who that faith is in.

So, while Scripture doesn't literally say, "Believe that Jesus Christ is G-d and you will be saved," it doesn't need to. It would be redundant. It says so by implication by presenting Him as G-d throughout the Scriptures and saying that we're saved by faith in Who He is and what He's done.
:amen: Great post cheezerrox.

Cheezerrox, it's amazing how much sense you make when you're not talking about the Sabbath. :poke: :mrgreen:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
1stjohn0666
Valued Member

Post by 1stjohn0666 »

I love Sabbath chat.
cheezerrox
Established Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by cheezerrox »

RickD wrote: :amen: Great post cheezerrox.

Cheezerrox, it's amazing how much sense you make when you're not talking about the Sabbath. :poke: :mrgreen:
Thank you, Rick!

And lol, it's amazing how friendly you can be when we finally agree! :mrgreen: :lol:
"The prophet is a man who feels fiercely. G-d has thrust a burden upon his soul, and he is bowed and stunned at man's fierce greed. Frightful is the agony of man; no human voice can convey its full terror. Prophecy is the voice that G-d has lent to the silent agony, a voice to the plundered poor, to the profaned riches of the world. It is a form of living, a crossing point of G-d and man."
- Abraham Joshua Heschel
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

cheezerrox wrote:
RickD wrote: :amen: Great post cheezerrox.

Thank you, Rick!

And lol, it's amazing how friendly you can be when we finally agree! :mrgreen: :lol:
touché.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony