Garden of Eden mythical or real?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Gman
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Garden of Eden mythical or real?

Post by Gman »

There seems to be consensus among atheists that the Garden of Eden and other locations of the Bible were simply made up accommodate the Book of Genesis and the Bible as we know it. Now granted, the Garden of Eden would most likely be a harder historical narrative to prove given the fact that there where no buildings or archeological evidence in the garden, (just a man, woman, animals and plants). However, there does seem to be evidence of other stories of an ancient garden in the Mesopotamian area.

According to David Rohl, "There is an ancient Mesopotamian word edin (Sumerian) or edinu (Akkadian) which first occurs in a short narrative concerning a war between the Mesopotamian city states of Lagash and Umma. The context suggests that this edin is an open plain situated between the two disputing cities - a sort of wasteland or zone without cultivation. On this basis scholars have understood edin to mean 'open plain' or 'uncultivated land' and thus some recognize in it the etymological origins of the biblical Eden. The term edin also occurs in an important Sumerian epic tale known as 'Emnerkar and the Lord of Aratta."

Source: //www.sightedmoon.com/?page_id=26

Genesis describes the creation of man as having occurred near the Tigris and Euphrates Rivers, in the Mesopotamian plain. Interesting that we still have two rivers today named after these "so called" mythical garden rivers.

Not to mention, there seems to be a lot of scientific evidence for the first humans appearing in the middle east (or Africa)..

Quote Rich: "However, the Bible describes the river Gihon as being associated with Cush, which is described as being near Egypt, and is usually associated with the land of Ethiopia. The other river (Pishon) is said to be in the land of Havila, which is described as being east of Egypt, toward Assyria,1 probably being on the Arabian peninsula. A tentative map of the area is shown to the right. If modern humans originated during the last ice age2 then the Persian Gulf would have been dry (due to sea levels at least 400 feet lower than present).3 So, it is entirely possible that the location of the Eden is currently under water."

"New genetic analysis of human population groups shows that peoples of the Middle East represent the second most genetically diverse group among world-wide populations. A hypothesis is proposed that modern humans originated in the garden of Eden, in or near Mesopotamia, through the direct creation of God, and subsequently migrated world-wide, first into Africa, then Asia and Europe, and eventually the Americas and Polynesia. Subsequent back migrations diluted the genetic diversity of this founder population, making them appear to be less ancient than the Africans. The hypothesis can potentially be tested by carefully examining more Middle Eastern populations in more detail to attempt to reconstruct the original founder population."

Source: //www.godandscience.org/apologetics/human ... frica.html

There also have been a number of claims as to the actual geographic location of the Garden of Eden somewhere in the Middle East. This is a list of some of those locations.

//en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garden_of_eden#Suspected_locations

Is the Garden of Eden currently under the Persian gulf? Perhaps, we just don't have enough information yet.. This is just a little bit of information derived from a History Channel episode I saw the other day on this very subject.

The most plausible explanation I hold to would probably be the one by Dr. Juris Zarins who is an American archaeologist and professor at Missouri State University.

LANDSAT spots a "fossil river"

"Zarins goes back to geography and geology to pinpoint the area of Eden where he believes the collision came to a head. The evidence is beguiling: first, Genesis was written from a Hebrew point of view. It says the Garden was "eastward," i.e., east of Israel. It is quite specific about the rivers. The Tigris and the Euphrates are easy because they still flow. At the time Genesis was written, the Euphrates must have been the major one because it stands identified by name only and without an explanation about what it "compasseth." The Pison can be identified from the Biblical reference to the land of Havilah, which is easily located in the Biblical Table of Nations (Genesis 10:7, 25:18) as relating to localities and people within a Mesopotamian-Arabian framework. Supporting the Biblical evidence of Havilah are geological evidence on the ground and LANDSAT images from space. These images clearly show a "fossil river," that once flowed through northern Arabia and through the now dry beds, which modern Saudis and Kuwaitis know as the Wadi Riniah and the Wadi Batin. Furthermore. as the Bible says, this region was rich in bdellium, an aromatic gum resin that can still be found in north Arabia, and gold, which was still mined in the general area in the 1950s."

The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Re: Garden of Eden mythical or real?

Post by RickD »

Holy bouncing matzo balls, Batman! 2793 Views without a response. This has to be some kind of record here!
Here's a bump for you, Gman!
:sbump:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

RickD wrote:Holy bouncing matzo balls, Batman! 2793 Views without a response. This has to be some kind of record here!
Thanks Rick... But I must admit, I don't see the Garden of Eden being in the Persian gulf anymore.. My personal belief now is that the Garden of Eden was in the center of the world. Where you might ask?

Jerusalem... Where it always has been. Our human spawning grounds which is why we have to restore it.. One last time... ;)

Jerusalem - The center of the world

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Gman wrote:
RickD wrote:Holy bouncing matzo balls, Batman! 2793 Views without a response. This has to be some kind of record here!
Thanks Rick... But I must admit, I don't see the Garden of Eden being in the Persian gulf anymore.. My personal belief now is that the Garden of Eden was in the center of the world. Where you might ask?

Jerusalem... Where it always has been. Our human spawning grounds which is why we have to restore it.. One last time... ;)

Jerusalem - The center of the world
Oh Good Grief! What have I done? I've fed a monster! y#-o :pound:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

RickD wrote: Oh Good Grief! What have I done? I've fed a monster! y#-o :pound:
:P Grrr....

RazorSwift
Familiar Member

Post by RazorSwift »

So if you call it Kundalini, the people in Christian circles will run from it. If you call it the Baptism of the Holy Spirit, the same people will run to it.
Rick,

That quote is golden! Sorry OP not trying to hijack, I would like to study more on the info that you gave. Thanks for posting this!
bippy123
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by bippy123 »

I don't know where I read it, but it was an article somewhere that I found a while back that shows some archeologists having some doubt about Africa being the cradle of civilization . They talked about having some evidence that it could have all started in the middle east somewhere. Wish I could find the link again, but if this is correct it's just that much more evidence for genesis being correct.
Fascinating thread for sure
KBCid
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by KBCid »

You assert there is a garden which is all fine and good but if you can't produce the gardeners then there is little evidence to back such a concept. No gardeners then no garden.
;) I'm experimenting with evologic to give you a bump G. and give you an opportunity to answer something anti since I can't find anyway to add to your post. It all looks good to me. Nice findings
It is as if some Christians sit there and wait for the smallest thing that they can dispute and then jump onto it...
The Bible says that we were each given an interpretation – this gift of interpretation is not there so we can run each other into the ground. It is there for our MUTUAL edification.
//www.allaboutgod.net/profiles/blogs/chri ... each-other