Where We Go When We Die?

Discussions surrounding the various other faiths who deviate from mainstream Christian doctrine such as LDS and the Jehovah's Witnesses.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Where We Go When We Die?

Post by PaulSacramento »

1stjohn0666 wrote:"Ruach occurs 377 times in the Old Testament and most frequently is translated 'spirit,' 'wind,' or 'breath' (Gen. 8:1, etc.). It is also used to denote vitality (Judges 15:19), courage (Joshua 2:11), temper or anger (Judges 8:3), disposition (Isa. 54:6), moral character (Eze. 11:19), and the seat of the emotions (1 Sam. 1:15). "The New Testament equivalent of ruach is pneuma, 'spirit,' from pneo, 'to blow,' or 'to breathe.' As with ruach, there is nothing inherent in the word pneuma denoting an entity in man capable of conscious existence apart from the body, nor does New Testament usage with respect to man in any way imply such a concept. In such passages as Romans 8:15; 1 Corinthians 4:21; 2 Timothy 1:7; 1 John 4:6 pneuma denotes 'mood,' 'attitude,' or 'state of feeling.' It is also used of various aspects of the personality, as in Galatians 6:1; Romans 12:11; etc. As with ruach, the pneuma is yielded to the Lord at death (Luke 23:46; Acts 7:59). Like ruach, pneuma is also used of the Spirit of God (1 Cor. 2:11, 14; Eph. 4:30; Heb. 2:4; 1 Peter 1:12; 2 Peter 1:21; etc.)." <---- I got this from the SDA "27 fundamental beliefs" BTW 27 is now 28 LOL
So it is an attribute?
The holy spirit is what then?
1stjohn0666
Valued Member

Post by 1stjohn0666 »

Maybe for humans, since we are mortal. The HS is Gods actions in creation. I love the verse Ezekiel 2:2 the Hs speaks audibly. cool huh? God does speak... and that is an action. We can find the one who is speaking in a couple verses later ... Yaweh. But through his Spirit.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

1stjohn0666 wrote:Maybe for humans, since we are mortal. The HS is Gods actions in creation. I love the verse Ezekiel 2:2 the Hs speaks audibly. cool huh? God does speak... and that is an action. We can find the one who is speaking in a couple verses later ... Yaweh. But through his Spirit.
SO, the spirit is GOD, yes?
1stjohn0666
Valued Member

Post by 1stjohn0666 »

basically Gods power
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

1stjohn0666 wrote:basically Gods power
So, no "personality" or emotion or will per say?
1stjohn0666
Valued Member

Post by 1stjohn0666 »

@Paul
I was reading and in 1 John 2:1 "advocate" is the same Greek word in the Gospel of John 14:16 "comforter" paraklatos. Now Jesus does not want to leave us alone. The Holy Spirit could be identified as Jesus, just not in the same sense that he is still here UNascended into heaven. Pretty cool, I thought. 1 John 2:1 actually identifies a "who"
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

1stjohn0666 wrote:@Paul
I was reading and in 1 John 2:1 "advocate" is the same Greek word in the Gospel of John 14:16 "comforter" paraklatos. Now Jesus does not want to leave us alone. The Holy Spirit could be identified as Jesus, just not in the same sense that he is still here UNascended into heaven. Pretty cool, I thought. 1 John 2:1 actually identifies a "who"
Yes, I agree that Jesus is the HS, in that perfect union of Father, Son and HS.