Apparently humans and neanderthals did NOT breed...

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
DRDS
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Apparently humans and neanderthals did NOT breed...

Post by DRDS »

At least according to this new article....

http://news.yahoo.com/humans-neandertha ... 25773.html
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Apparently humans and neanderthals did NOT breed...

Post by PaulSacramento »

Theories and more theories...

I found this interesting though:
The team also calculate that humans split from chimpanzees -- our closest primate relative -- around seven to eight million years ago, earlier than the six-to-seven million years ago that is a common estimate.

Thing is that there were no chimp for "humans to split from" back then.
This is a classic way in which people get screwed up views of evolution.
Man did NOT "split" or came from Apes, Apes and man MAY have shared a COMMON ancestor.
Not the same thing at all.
In short CA ( Common ancestor) beget something and that something "split" into two other "somethings" and one of those lines became Man and the other Ape.
( I am sure someone can fill in the blanks better than I).
Humans did NOT split from Chimps.
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Ivellious »

Paul, you are correct. No one says that chimps existed first, and humans evolved out of that group. At least from what I've read/learned, humans and chimps evolved from the same species of Great Ape, which is why we are classified as "cousins". Modern day chimps/apes and humans are believed to all be descendants of now-extinct Great Apes.

I really don't like reading news articles about scientific things unless that news source is specifically a science publication. Yahoo and similar sites rarely if ever employ journalists who actually have scientific training in the fields that they write about, leading to errors like what Paul pointed out. It might seem like minor errors or ways of saying the same thing, but in fact they can be very misleading as to what is really trying to be said.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

PaulS wrote:Humans did NOT split from Chimps.
That's true Paul. Genesis 1:26-27
26Then God said, “Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth,b and over all the creatures that move along the ground.”
27So God created man in his own image,
in the image of God he created him;
male and female he created them.
Man was created specially, by God, in His image. Of course, that's just my interpretation of those verses. Someone can certainly believe man and ape evolved from a common ancestor, but I don't see how scripture backs up that belief.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Murray »

What exactly are neanderthals classified as? If I remember my biology classes correctly aren't they on like a completely evolutionary tree than us?
And then I hear somewhere that human and neanderthals breeding caused us to develop immunities to certain diseases, but if we did breed
with Neanderthals then Neanderthals are on our evolutionary tree... So, somebody needs to get that tree straightened out.
in nomine patri et fili spiritu sancte
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Ivellious »

I'm not sure what "evolutionary tree" you are talking about, Murray. Neanderthals are a "human" species (one of the many, at least). Most "humans" preceded homo sapiens (us), but there is a great deal of evidence suggesting that neanderthals lived around the same time and place as the early homo sapiens. This link shows basically what I learned about the hominid family:

http://mikeely.files.wordpress.com/2010 ... n-tree.jpg

As you can see from this, neanderthals are indeed a different branch of hominids, but are very closely related to humans.
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Murray »

Oh, all it took was a little reading in wikipedia to answer my question. I didn't think that Neanderthals were part of the genus homo, but i guess they are.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

RickD wrote:
26Then God said, “Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth,b and over all the creatures that move along the ground.”
Man was created specially, by God, in His image. Of course, that's just my interpretation of those verses. Someone can certainly believe man and ape evolved from a common ancestor, but I don't see how scripture backs up that belief.
Well, if I can play the "devil's advocate":
Both Man and Ape came from the earth, right?
Earth being the common ancestor/link to all life.
:eugeek:
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Murray »

PaulSacramento wrote:
RickD wrote:
But it does not state that god created apes then we slowly evolved form them. Of course theres a lot of things the bible is not crystal clear on thus leaving it up to your own interpretation and beliefs
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Murray wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
RickD wrote:
But it does not state that god created apes then we slowly evolved form them. Of course theres a lot of things the bible is not crystal clear on thus leaving it up to your own interpretation and beliefs
On a serious note and not getting into a Genesis debate.
I don't see God communicating to ancient man 1000's of years ago and being able to make Man understand evolution since it seems hard enough for US to do so right NOW !
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Murray »

He could have gone with the south park explanation

"In the beginning we were all fish, swimming around in the water. And then one day a couple of fish had a -special- baby, and the -special- baby was different so it got to live. So -special- fish goes on to make more -special- babies, and then one day a -special- baby fish crawled out of the ocean with its mutant fish hands, and it had -intercourse- with a squirrel or something, and made -special- frog-squirrel. And then that had a -special- baby which was a monkey-fish-frog, and then this monkey-fish-frog had -intercourse- with another monkey, and then that monkey had a mutant -special- baby that -had intercourse- with another monkey, and then that -had intercourse- another monkey and then that made you. So there you go, you're the -special- offspring of five monkeys having -intercourse- with a fish-squirrel, congratulations.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Murray wrote:He could have gone with the south park explanation

"In the beginning we were all fish, swimming around in the water. And then one day a couple of fish had a -special- baby, and the -special- baby was different so it got to live. So -special- fish goes on to make more -special- babies, and then one day a -special- baby fish crawled out of the ocean with its mutant fish hands, and it had -intercourse- with a squirrel or something, and made -special- frog-squirrel. And then that had a -special- baby which was a monkey-fish-frog, and then this monkey-fish-frog had -intercourse- with another monkey, and then that monkey had a mutant -special- baby that -had intercourse- with another monkey, and then that -had intercourse- another monkey and then that made you. So there you go, you're the -special- offspring of five monkeys having -intercourse- with a fish-squirrel, congratulations.
Classic South Park !!
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Is that your theory of evolution? Earth is our common ancestor? You don't think mankind was specially created? Because if mankind evolved from something else, that doesn't leave room for mankind to be different from other animals, does it? How in evolution, did mankind receive a spirit?
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

RickD wrote:
Is that your theory of evolution? Earth is our common ancestor? You don't think mankind was specially created? Because if mankind evolved from something else, that doesn't leave room for mankind to be different from other animals, does it? How in evolution, did mankind receive a spirit?
Why, is God not capable of infusing a rational soul in an already existing animal whose first cause is God himself anyway?
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Byblos wrote:
RickD wrote:
Why, is God not capable of infusing a rational soul in an already existing animal whose first cause is God himself anyway?
Oh no. I'm not saying God isn't capable of that. God is also capable of creating the heavens and earth in six 24 hour days, but I don't think scripture says that either. God created Adam, and then placed him in the garden. I don't see how that fits into Theistic Evolution. I'm not trying to disagree for the sake of disagreeing. I'd like to know how TE explains the first human being, who is a spiritual creature. When no other spiritual creatures(besides angels) existed prior.

-Edward R Murrow