Is God and Jesus the same or are they different

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
KBCid
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Is God and Jesus the same or are they different

Post by KBCid »

The same logic would apply between the Father and Son as between human male and female consider this;
Gen 2:24 Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.

In this instance the point is about flesh. Adam and Eve are two distinct persons with their own minds but when they join together thy are considered one.

When it comes to Father and Son both are independant minds just as all of us are independant one form another. The Son became the 'vessel' that the Father could dwell within in the same way the redeemed will be vessels for God to dwell in. Each having their own minds but having one accord of spirit. At that time God will then become all in all;

1Cor 12:6 And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all.
1Cor 15:28 And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him, that God may be all in all.

God cannot be subject to himself.

Joh 14:10 Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.

Christ clearly states that the father dwells in him

Heb 9:14 How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?

Christ offered himself to his father through the holy spirit that was indwelling. Each of us will also offer ourselves to the Father through Christ whose blood sacrifice will cover our sins making our offering acceptable.

Joh 5:20 For the Father loveth the Son, and sheweth him all things that himself doeth: and he will shew him greater works than these, that ye may marvel.
Eph 1:19 And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power,
Eph 1:20 Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places,
Eph 1:21 Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come:
Eph 1:22 And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church,
Eph 1:23 Which is his body, the fulness of him that filleth all in all.
It is as if some Christians sit there and wait for the smallest thing that they can dispute and then jump onto it...
The Bible says that we were each given an interpretation – this gift of interpretation is not there so we can run each other into the ground. It is there for our MUTUAL edification.
//www.allaboutgod.net/profiles/blogs/chri ... each-other
Protestant
Acquainted Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Protestant »

RickD wrote:
Protestant wrote:Not the Trinity version.
Protestant, if your pastor doesn't believe in the trinity, his belief is outside of mainstream Christianity, and you need to use extreme caution. Do you happen to have a website for this pastor's church that I can take a look at? If you don't want to post it here, you can pm me a link to the website, and I'll keep it private. I can usually tell a lot from the "what we believe" section of a church's website.
We're a pretty small church so no we do not have a website. He believes in the Trinity (well I know at one time he did, I don't know if he still does) but he uses scripture such as when Jesus tempts Satan. Jesus said "Do not tempt your lord your God" which is one piece of evidence he uses to suggest that Jesus and God are the same.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Maybe you should simply ask your pastor, if Jesus and God are the same entity, who does Jesus pray to?
KBCid

Post by KBCid »

PaulSacramento wrote:Maybe you should simply ask your pastor, if Jesus and God are the same entity, who does Jesus pray to?
lol. Nice
It is as if some Christians sit there and wait for the smallest thing that they can dispute and then jump onto it...
The Bible says that we were each given an interpretation – this gift of interpretation is not there so we can run each other into the ground. It is there for our MUTUAL edification.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

PaulSacramento wrote:Maybe you should simply ask your pastor, if Jesus and God are the same entity, who does Jesus pray to?
That's easy...Mary :esurprised:

Sorry, Byblos, please forgive me, I couldn't resist. :bag:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
KBCid

Post by KBCid »

KBCid wrote:no one can be their own son
RickD wrote: "no one" is singular, and can't be a " their", because their is plural. :wave:
I know it is incorrect;

Pronoun Agreement
A pronoun agreement works in the same fashion as the pronoun-verb agreement in that a pronoun and noun must have a corresponding plural or singular agreement. Words such as anyone, anybody, everyone, everybody, no one, nobody are all singular nouns and therefore require singular possessive pronouns. Writers often confuse the singular noun or pronoun with a plural verb or possessive pronoun. Common mistakes include:

Incorrect: "To each their own." (Each is singular)
Revision: "To each his/her own."

Incorrect: "Everybody collected their coats."
Revision: "Everybody collected his/her coat."

However, english is an evolving language and most people don't communicate with it in a perfect way. Most of us have become accustomed to speaking and writing according to the customs of those around us and that means alot of it is incorrect if you want to be a professional writer. Fortunately I chose not to be a professional writer and went instead into mechanics and focused on that which essentially means I am not perfect at writing.

The funny part here is that apparently a lot of professionals make this same error without it being noticed;

Nemo iudex in causa sua (or nemo iudex in sua causa) is a Latin phrase that means, literally, no-one should be a judge in their own cause. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nemo_iudex_in_causa_sua

Schopenhauer, Arthur - No one can transcend their own individuality.
OBAMA: No one can do this on their own. http://prospect.org/article/obama-no-on ... -their-own
Children's Voice - 'No One Makes It on Their Own' http://www.cwla.org/voice/0909own.htm

It works the same way with being holy... there are very few professionals and some times they make a sacrifice for those less professional so that they can still hangout together. y*-:)
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

The Trinity still baffles many people, simply because they think of it in human terms, ie: what do I see in Nature.
Some can't wrap their minds around the immaterial.
Of course if God could be explained in human terms, He wouldn't be God.
It is crucial to understand that, being of the same nature, of perfect union of existence, does NOT mean that there can't be a difference in "personality".
Perhaps it is the term "trinity" or "triune" that throws people off, perhaps if God's nature had been revealed in the 20th century we would have "better" words to describe Him.
I doubt it though.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Isa 46:9 Remember the former things of old, For I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like Me - NKJV

Jer 10:6 Inasmuch as there is none like You, O LORD (You are great, and Your name is great in might) ... NKJV

Says it best...
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

B. W. wrote:Isa 46:9 Remember the former things of old, For I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like Me - NKJV

Jer 10:6 Inasmuch as there is none like You, O LORD (You are great, and Your name is great in might) ... NKJV

Says it best...
-
-
-
I would add to that :
God is that which no greater thing can be conceived.
And only state that this understanding is but the beginning of what God is.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

KBCid wrote:
KBCid wrote:no one can be their own son
RickD wrote: "no one" is singular, and can't be a " their", because their is plural. :wave:
I know it is incorrect;

Pronoun Agreement
A pronoun agreement works in the same fashion as the pronoun-verb agreement in that a pronoun and noun must have a corresponding plural or singular agreement. Words such as anyone, anybody, everyone, everybody, no one, nobody are all singular nouns and therefore require singular possessive pronouns. Writers often confuse the singular noun or pronoun with a plural verb or possessive pronoun. Common mistakes include:

Incorrect: "To each their own." (Each is singular)
Revision: "To each his/her own."

Incorrect: "Everybody collected their coats."
Revision: "Everybody collected his/her coat."

However, english is an evolving language and most people don't communicate with it in a perfect way. Most of us have become accustomed to speaking and writing according to the customs of those around us and that means alot of it is incorrect if you want to be a professional writer. Fortunately I chose not to be a professional writer and went instead into mechanics and focused on that which essentially means I am not perfect at writing.

The funny part here is that apparently a lot of professionals make this same error without it being noticed;

Nemo iudex in causa sua (or nemo iudex in sua causa) is a Latin phrase that means, literally, no-one should be a judge in their own cause. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nemo_iudex_in_causa_sua

Schopenhauer, Arthur - No one can transcend their own individuality.
OBAMA: No one can do this on their own. http://prospect.org/article/obama-no-on ... -their-own
Children's Voice - 'No One Makes It on Their Own' http://www.cwla.org/voice/0909own.htm

It works the same way with being holy... there are very few professionals and some times they make a sacrifice for those less professional so that they can still hangout together. y*-:)
You're making way more of this than I intended. I was just joking. We all make grammatical errors. The English language is very difficult to master.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

KBCid

Post by KBCid »

RickD wrote: You're making way more of this than I intended. I was just joking. We all make grammatical errors. The English language is very difficult to master.
Rick I know you were kidding and I continued the fun just to make the final turnaround statement;
KBCid wrote:It works the same way with being holy... there are very few professionals and some times they make a sacrifice for those less professional so that they can still hangout together. y*-:)
In his spirit we forgive each other our errors that we may continue to grow. ;) I was hoping for a bit of a laugh at how I turned things from human frailty into a reference between God and us. Smile Rick I am old and find humor in many ways just not in a hatefull manner. You may correct me anytime, it is recieved in the spirit it is given.
1stjohn0666
Valued Member

Post by 1stjohn0666 »

It sounds like the "oneness doctrine" why not look that up and get some answers. I do not believe that Jesus and his Father are one and the same, or Jesus would have said in Matt 6:9 "Our Father who is standing right here" 8-}2
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

KBCid wrote:
RickD wrote: You're making way more of this than I intended. I was just joking. We all make grammatical errors. The English language is very difficult to master.
Rick I know you were kidding and I continued the fun just to make the final turnaround statement;
KBCid wrote:It works the same way with being holy... there are very few professionals and some times they make a sacrifice for those less professional so that they can still hangout together. y*-:)
In his spirit we forgive each other our errors that we may continue to grow. ;) I was hoping for a bit of a laugh at how I turned things from human frailty into a reference between God and us. Smile Rick I am old and find humor in many ways just not in a hatefull manner. You may correct me anytime, it is recieved in the spirit it is given.
You can't be that old, KBC. How old are you?

-Edward R Murrow