Proof that GOD Exists

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
Tina
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Proof that GOD Exists

Post by Tina »

http://proofthatgodexists.org/main.php# ... ble-people

I'm not sure how I feel about this site. I agree with a lot of it ( except for the predestination bit )

I want to know what you guys think and if you agree or disagree and why.
"Love others as I have loved you." -Jesus Christ
narnia4
Sex: Male

Re: Proof that GOD Exists

Post by narnia4 »

Its ok, kind of simplistic once you get into philosophy.
Young, Restless, Reformed
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

I want to know what you guys think and if you agree or disagree and why.
My mom told me, " if you can't say something nice, then don't say anything at all". So I'm not sayin nuthin. :mrgreen:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Beanybag
Valued Member
Christian: No
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Beanybag »

"Rather than use physical evidence to show that the Bible is most probably true, we again go back to intellectual evidence, and logical proof, to show that the Bible is necessarily true. We can know that the Bible is true because it claims to be true and proves it by the impossibility of the contrary!"

What.
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Ivellious »

This website confuses me. First it asks whether I believe if "absolute truth" exists...Then if I click "no" or "I don't know" it forces me to start over at the first question. If I click "I don't care" it says goodbye and takes me to the Disney homepage (the heck?). And only if I accept that absolute truth exists am I even allowed to see the "proof".
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Beanybag wrote:"Rather than use physical evidence to show that the Bible is most probably true, we again go back to intellectual evidence, and logical proof, to show that the Bible is necessarily true. We can know that the Bible is true because it claims to be true and proves it by the impossibility of the contrary!"

What.
Ivellious wrote:This website confuses me. First it asks whether I believe if "absolute truth" exists...Then if I click "no" or "I don't know" it forces me to start over at the first question. If I click "I don't care" it says goodbye and takes me to the Disney homepage (the heck?). And only if I accept that absolute truth exists am I even allowed to see the "proof".
Welcome to the twilight zone. y:-/
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Ivellious wrote:This website confuses me. First it asks whether I believe if "absolute truth" exists...Then if I click "no" or "I don't know" it forces me to start over at the first question. If I click "I don't care" it says goodbye and takes me to the Disney homepage (the heck?). And only if I accept that absolute truth exists am I even allowed to see the "proof".
:pound: welcome to the wonderful world of Sye Ten Bruggencate! :pound:
Ivellious, did you see the point he was trying to make, by that?
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

BavarianWheels
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by BavarianWheels »

It's logical to me. If Truth exists, then the evidence means something to you. If you don't know if Truth exists, they offer a question that might clear up the confusion. If one believes Truth does not exist or if one believes it doesn't matter, then there's no reason to go on to the proof since the proof rests on that premise, that Absolute Truth exists.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

BavarianWheels wrote:
It's logical to me. If Truth exists, then the evidence means something to you. If you don't know if Truth exists, they offer a question that might clear up the confusion. If one believes Truth does not exist or if one believes it doesn't matter, then there's no reason to go on to the proof since the proof rests on that premise, that Absolute Truth exists.
Darnit Bav! You gave Ivellious the answer. I wanted him to figure it out for himself. y#-o

-Edward R Murrow

BavarianWheels
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by BavarianWheels »

RickD wrote:
BavarianWheels wrote:
Darnit Bav! You gave Ivellious the answer. I wanted him to figure it out for himself. y#-o
Sorry.

It works ( IMHO ) until one gets to the question of absolute morals. That becomes sticky ( to me ), not because I disagree with objective morality, but that some atheists would argue that morality is subjective to the society one lives in.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Most atheists would say that morality is subjective to the culture/society THEY live in.
I have noticed that depending on that, the atheist view of morality tends to be quite varied.
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

Would the athiest say it is objectively true that morality is subjective to the culture they live in? :esurprised:
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
narnia4

Post by narnia4 »

There is a lot of confusion with terminology when it comes to objective morality, morality, objective moral values, etc. Distinguishing between moral epistemology and moral ontology is a big one. What an atheist is justified in believing, it depends exactly how you frame it... and usually it seems like both sides frame it in a way that's most convenient.

When its all said and done I don't think non-theists are justified in assuming objective morality. Now Feser, for example, argues that they are if they accept an Aristotelian-Thomist framework, but not many atheists at all would want to do that if they accept the theistic implications. In general, it seems like most theists/atheists would actually agree on a mechanistic universe, and if you do that then Hume's is/ought distinction applies and you would need theism to explain objective morality. That logically leads to atheists being forced to deny objective morality imo, but then the problem is whether there is actually evidence for objective morality. Given the atheist's commitment to naturalism/materialism, I don't know what evidence you can present. You can appeal to "properly basic beliefs" or the idea that the existence of objective morality is more obvious than any argument you could produce against it (that's basically what William Lane Craig does). Those are pretty good for some but it seems to me like its more an appeal to intuition or to someone's "innate sense of morality". If the atheist isn't feeling it, I don't think it will do much to convince them with the evidential approach... of course I suppose you could say that about any approach.

Its still worthwhile though, an atheist blogger (I believe at patheos) very recently converted to Catholicism because of this issue.
Young, Restless, Reformed
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

jlay wrote:Would the athiest say it is objectively true that morality is subjective to the culture they live in? :esurprised:
An atheist in Canada will have a far different view of the morality of infanticide or the worth of women, than an atheist in China.
Simply because to them, morals are subjective.
Of course the Atheist in Canada has no reason to believe that the atheist Chinese view on infanticide or girls is morally wrong.
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Its still worthwhile though, an atheist blogger (I believe at patheos) very recently converted to Catholicism because of this issue.
Objective morality can do that to you, because to be honest once you get down to the bare bones of the argument there is no escaping that some things are objectively wrong and if you admit that then you need something non-human from which the standard comes, nature is out, and humans are too diverse on thought on the subject. So once anyone realizes that there is indeed OM then the rest follows a bit easily.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com