Bible consistency & adjustments

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
1over137
Technical Admin
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Bible consistency & adjustments

Post by 1over137 »

My atheist friend claims that bishops in Nicaea put away inconsistent things. So, for him, Bible consistency means nothing.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Byblos
Old School

Re: Bible consistency & adjustments

Post by Byblos »

1over137 wrote:My atheist friend claims that bishops in Nicaea put away inconsistent things. So, for him, Bible consistency means nothing.
Ask him or her to prove it.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by 1over137 »

He would say that all things against Christianity were destroyed. So, how can he prove it?
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

1over137 wrote:He would say that all things against Christianity were destroyed. So, how can he prove it?
To quote what Hitchens (a famous atheist) often used to say: That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
neo-x
Ultimate Member
Sex: Male

Post by neo-x »

Byblos » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:50 pm

1over137 wrote:
He would say that all things against Christianity were destroyed. So, how can he prove it?

To quote what Hitchens (a famous atheist) often used to say: That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
:pound:
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

1over137 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:25 pm

people always find ignorance as the best path to reject God, what a shame :shakehead:
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

1over137 wrote:He would say that all things against Christianity were destroyed. So, how can he prove it?
What we have of the writing AGAINST Christianity tend to go in favour of what we know as orthodox Christianity and what is written in the NT.
Icthus
Established Member

Post by Icthus »

The Council of Nicaea is a very popular target among some skeptics, but there isn't really much to it actually. Claims that the cannon was decided on and edited at Nicaea in a heated debate, the end result of which was the crushing of non orthodox ideas and the rewriting of history are pretty fanciful interpretations of what went on. It's fairly clear from the New Testament materials we have today as well as the writings of the Church Fathers that orthodoxy was well established very early. The council reaffirmed views on Scripture that were already dominant long before the council, and there likely wasn't nearly as much disagreement as some would say. Of course, if your friend wishes to posit that the Church simply repressed other views and destroyed evidence of what they had done he is entitled to do so, but he should be aware that such a claim is without evidence and is, actually, against the evidence. Any argument that rests on the claim that all evidence that supports it has been covered up while handwaving away evidence to the contrary as coming from a corrupt establishment is no better than a conspiracy theory, like that the World Trade Center was struck by missiles instead of planes, and should be treated as such.

What kind of things does your friend claim were put away?
“The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and left untried.” -G.K. Chesterton
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Icthus wrote:The Council of Nicaea is a very popular target among some skeptics, but there isn't really much to it actually. Claims that the cannon was decided on and edited at Nicaea in a heated debate, the end result of which was the crushing of non orthodox ideas and the rewriting of history are pretty fanciful interpretations of what went on. It's fairly clear from the New Testament materials we have today as well as the writings of the Church Fathers that orthodoxy was well established very early. The council reaffirmed views on Scripture that were already dominant long before the council, and there likely wasn't nearly as much disagreement as some would say. Of course, if your friend wishes to posit that the Church simply repressed other views and destroyed evidence of what they had done he is entitled to do so, but he should be aware that such a claim is without evidence and is, actually, against the evidence. Any argument that rests on the claim that all evidence that supports it has been covered up while handwaving away evidence to the contrary as coming from a corrupt establishment is no better than a conspiracy theory, like that the World Trade Center was struck by missiles instead of planes, and should be treated as such.

What kind of things does your friend claim were put away?
Quite correct and it is amazing that with all this "crushing" that here we are, in 2012, talking about it, LOL !
Reactionary
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Reactionary »

Ichtus wrote:The Council of Nicaea is a very popular target among some skeptics,
One question from me. Why does everyone keep referring to such people as "skeptics"? :lol:
"Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and then turn and tear you to pieces." Matthew 7:6

"For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse." Romans 1:20

--Reactionary
Icthus
Established Member

Post by Icthus »

Reactionary wrote:
Ichtus wrote:The Council of Nicaea is a very popular target among some skeptics,
One question from me. Why does everyone keep referring to such people as "skeptics"? :lol:
I don't really know. I suppose I use it because it's the term I hear most often, even if it doesn't always fit. Also, though most of the people I know who call themselves "skeptics" are atheists, one doesn't have to be an atheist to be skeptical of Christianity, so it sort of fits a broader range. It's used so often it sort of lost its original meaning to many people, especially on the internet.
“The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and left untried.” -G.K. Chesterton
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Why does a smart woman have credulous/dull/foolish friends?

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:Why does a smart woman have credulous/dull/foolish friends?

FL
Why did Jesus eat with sinners and tax collectors?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

RickD wrote:Why did Jesus eat with sinners and tax collectors?
Yes! You have a point!

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +