The nature of suffering

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
mum1983
Familiar Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female

The nature of suffering

Post by mum1983 »

I've been reading So You Don't Want To Go To Church Anymore, which is a novel by Wayne Jacobsen and Dave Coleman. For those of you who haven't read it, it's about a pastor named Jake who is becoming disillusioned with his church and questions his faith. Along comes an enigmatic figure named John who counsels him and seems to know Jesus on such a personal level that Jake questions wether or not John is the apostle, still alive 2,000 years later.

Tonight, I read a quote which made me uneasy. John says to Jake, "Suffering often indicates that God is setting us free from something so that we can follow and embrace him more deeply."

I can see why someone would think that. We have to somehow make sense of why we suffer, why God would allow it to happen to those he loves. But, it made me think about this: we know the Christian life isn't easy, but I've always thought this was because of the way of the world (Temptation of the flesh, "human emotions" we're not supposed to feel like jealousy, greed and being persecuted for being Christian) but, could it be that Christians face more trials and tribulations than non-Christians because it's God's way of purifying us? Is that why the Christian life isn't easy?
BavarianWheels
Prestigious Senior Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: The nature of suffering

Post by BavarianWheels »

mum1983 wrote:...could it be that Christians face more trials and tribulations than non-Christians because it's God's way of purifying us? Is that why the Christian life isn't easy?
The Christian life is not easy because it is not natural to the sinful nature.

Our 'purification' is a process. One which never is finished this side of life.
mum1983
Familiar Member
Sex: Female

Post by mum1983 »

Does everyone agree with this: "Suffering often indicates that God is setting us free from something so that we can follow and embrace him more deeply."
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

mum1983 wrote:Does everyone agree with this: "Suffering often indicates that God is setting us free from something so that we can follow and embrace him more deeply."

Could be, maybe, might be – or the old adversary at work causing the woe as well too…
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
MAGSolo
Valued Member
Christian: No

Post by MAGSolo »

mum1983 wrote:Does everyone agree with this: "Suffering often indicates that God is setting us free from something so that we can follow and embrace him more deeply."
That makes absolutely no sense to me, as in I literally dont understand what it means.
Beanybag
Valued Member
Christian: No
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Beanybag »

MAGSolo wrote:
That makes absolutely no sense to me, as in I literally dont understand what it means.
I honestly don't either.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

I THINK He means that when we lose something we suffer, but that suffering and loss brings us closer to God.