Higgs boson found.

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
mwaltman
Newbie Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Higgs boson found.

Post by mwaltman »

Physics is really hard for me to understand, so most of the articles I've been reading have made very little sense. But, from what I can gather, it appears that this particle- IF proven to exist- just explains that matter has mass, and forces of nature keep everything together. If anything to me, it only points to complete organization of life and creation; that life is not random. It seems to just explain the 'why' instead of the 'how'.
But, as I said already, most of the stuff I'm reading up on is going over my head.
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

mwaltman wrote:Physics is really hard for me to understand, so most of the articles I've been reading have made very little sense. But, from what I can gather, it appears that this particle- IF proven to exist- just explains that matter has mass, and forces of nature keep everything together. If anything to me, it only points to complete organization of life and creation; that life is not random. It seems to just explain the 'why' instead of the 'how'.
But, as I said already, most of the stuff I'm reading up on is going over my head.
If it is indeed the boson proposed by Higgs then it solidifies the standard big bang model and that can only be a positive thing for theism.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

If it is indeed the boson proposed by Higgs then it solidifies the standard big bank model and that can only be a positive thing for theism.
Byblos, what does Bank of America have to do with Higgin's bosom?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

Inflaton field and the Higgs field does not have to be the same thing. And now I learned that the inflaton field (responsible for inflation) cannot be the Higgs field.

"In the early proposal of Guth, it was thought that the inflaton was the Higgs field, the field which explains the mass of the elementary particles.[36] It is now known that the inflaton cannot be the Higgs field." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inflation_(cosmology))

Anyway, if Higgs boson exists as an uncomposed particle, it means that scalar particles (bosons) with spin 0 exists in the universe. So then also inflaton can exists. (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inflaton for inflaton)
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

RickD wrote:
If it is indeed the boson proposed by Higgs then it solidifies the standard big bang model and that can only be a positive thing for theism.
Why I don't know what you're talking about Rick. 8)
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Byblos wrote:
RickD wrote:
Why I don't know what you're talking about Rick. 8)
Sly as a fox, cunning as a serpent. :twisted:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Protestant
Acquainted Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Protestant »

Nope, in fact God has absolutely no relation at all to the Higgs Boson.
narnia4

Post by narnia4 »

Something I hadn't realized that is pretty cool, In September of '09 Jeff Zweerink at reasons to believe actually predicted that "within the next three years, the LHC data will reveal the elusive Higg's boson."

http://www.reasons.org/articles/lhc-in-the-news-again

That's an impressive prediction, apparently he knows his stuff.
Young, Restless, Reformed
DRDS

Post by DRDS »

Yeah, Jeff Zweerink is a very cool and extremely nice guy. He's interacted with me on facebook many times and has answered many questions that I've posed to him as well. Extremely great guy! :D
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

"Usually this nickname for the Higgs boson is attributed to Leon Lederman, the author of the book The God Particle: If the Universe Is the Answer, What Is the Question?, but the name is the result of the insistence of Lederman's publisher: Lederman had originally intended to refer to it as the "goddamn particle"." (ref.: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Higg ... ious_views)

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.

#foreverinmyheart
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

DRDS wrote:Yeah, Jeff Zweerink is a very cool and extremely nice guy. He's interacted with me on facebook many times and has answered many questions that I've posed to him as well. Extremely great guy! :D
Have you learned something interesting from him, you can share? :ewink:

#foreverinmyheart
DRDS

Post by DRDS »

Let's see, it's been a long time since I last talked with him. The last thing I asked him was about his take on Lawrence Krauss's book and views on the origin of the universe.

I guess this was right around the time Krauss's book came out and he told me that his views are similar to Stephen Hawking's in such that they are both comfortable with some version of a "self-existent" laws of physics that brings the universe into existence. As long as the "cause" is not personal, they are both satisfied.

But then Jeff added that none of them have an explanation for why the laws of physics exist and have the capacity to cause other things to exist. So roughly that was the last time I interacted with Zweerink. Again, he's a super nice guy!
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

Yeah, why the laws exist...

I checked http://www.reasons.org/about/who-we-are/jeff-zweerink, impressive. I might ask him some of my questions in future.

#foreverinmyheart