We're led to temptation?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
ultimate777
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

We're led to temptation?

Post by ultimate777 »

I do not have the need to always be right. But I usually feel the need to know and understand the truth. I have a challenge for you all I doubt if many of you can meet or even respect. I would love to be proven wrong. The challenge: show that the Bible at least implies that God has not deliberately led people ever into temptation.

Sometimes when you can pleasantly suprise people that has the biggest impact of all.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: We're led to temptation?

Post by RickD »

James 1:13 Let no one say when he is tempted, "I am being tempted by God"; for God cannot be tempted by evil, and He Himself does not tempt anyone.

Do I win a cookie?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
ultimate777

Post by ultimate777 »

RickD wrote:James 1:13 Let no one say when he is tempted, "I am being tempted by God"; for God cannot be tempted by evil, and He Himself does not tempt anyone.

Do I win a cookie?
What about when God hardens the heart of Pharoh and allows Satan to tempt Job to renounce God, show me how all that is not temptation. I think sometimes allowing what you can prevent is the same as doing it yourself.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

ultimate777 wrote:
RickD wrote:James 1:13 Let no one say when he is tempted, "I am being tempted by God"; for God cannot be tempted by evil, and He Himself does not tempt anyone.

Do I win a cookie?
What about when God hardens the heart of Pharoh and allows Satan to tempt Job to renounce God, show me how all that is not temptation. I think sometimes allowing what you can prevent is the same as doing it yourself.
Maybe you need to define temptation....those two examples don't really seem to be one of temptation.
If God hardened Pharoahs heart so as to make a huge statement, in what way was Pharoah tempted ?
Satan caused all that crap to happen to Job (and his family) to make Job renounce God, not to tempt him into a sin.
temp·ta·tion
   [temp-tey-shuhn] Show IPA
noun
the act of tempting; enticement or allurement.
something that tempts, entices, or allures.
the fact or state of being tempted, especially to evil.
an instance of this.
( initial capital letter ) the temptation of Christ by Satan. Matt. 4.
Zionist
Established Member

Post by Zionist »

@ ultimate
1st rick gave you biblical proof that God doesn't tempt and paul is right about understanding the definition of temptation which in the cases of pharaoh's hardened heart and satan destroying Jobs life does not factor in. i understand where you are getting at but im sure you have already heard the answers to the questions i know you'll ask. im not sure what else you're looking for but you should be straight forward with your questions. having ulterior motives or bait and switch tactics will not answer your true questions; in fact, it just shows you're not asking to understand but rather asking to catch someone honestly trying to answer slip up so you can pounce on them. from reading your posts this is what i see so please just be honest with your posts and intentions. nobody can help someone who does not truly want it.
Our rightousness is of filthy rags and in the eyes of God all have gone astray and nobody is justified under the Law. We are saved by the Grace of God through our faith in Him and in Him who he has sent Jesus Christ alone. There is no other way.
ultimate777

Post by ultimate777 »

Zionist wrote:@ ultimate
1st rick gave you biblical proof that God doesn't tempt and paul is right about understanding the definition of temptation which in the cases of pharaoh's hardened heart and satan destroying Jobs life does not factor in. i understand where you are getting at but im sure you have already heard the answers to the questions i know you'll ask. im not sure what else you're looking for but you should be straight forward with your questions. having ulterior motives or bait and switch tactics will not answer your true questions; in fact, it just shows you're not asking to understand but rather asking to catch someone honestly trying to answer slip up so you can pounce on them. from reading your posts this is what i see so please just be honest with your posts and intentions. nobody can help someone who does not truly want it.

So you want honesty, hmm? I honestly do no feel the Bible is innerrant. Because if some parts of it are innerant God is not a good God and if other parts of it are innerant God must must be a good God. And I think no one who is thoughtful, honest with themseves, and neither ducks, dodges, or hides, can disagree.

By the way, I prefer to hope that the parts where God is not a good God are not innerant.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

ultimate777 wrote:So you want honesty, hmm? I honestly do no feel the Bible is innerrant. Because if some parts of it are innerant God is not a good God and if other parts of it are innerant God must must be a good God.
Then you should pray to God for faith because from your vantage point, you can't be sure of anything.
ultimate777 wrote: I think no one who is thoughtful, honest with themseves, and neither ducks, dodges, or hides, can disagree.
Well, I disagree. Your profile doesn't say how old you are but my guess is that you are a teenager. Give yourself some time, study the Word and pray for the Holy Spirit to guide your study.
ultimate777 wrote:By the way, I prefer to hope that the parts where God is not a good God are not innerant.
But what if those ''good'' parts are all wrong? As I said, pray for faith - because you have little, if any - and you can't be sure of anything you claim to believe in.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Zionist
Established Member

Post by Zionist »

@ ultimate
i appreciate the honesty with you just coming out and being direct but im going to have to 2nd FL's response to you. you have very little if any faith at all and have tons of questions that God would love to reveal to you if you are willing to receive it. you know that saying about "you want the truth? you cant handle the truth!" it's a true saying and a lot of times we just can't or dont want to accept it even though it's staring us in the face. i would suggest pray, pray, pray and more praying. i can guarantee if you honestly do this and read his word with your heart and mind open to receive the answers to your questions God will guide and answer you. it takes time and will be hard at first but if you earnestly do it from your heart He will show you. Matthew 7:7-8
Our rightousness is of filthy rags and in the eyes of God all have gone astray and nobody is justified under the Law. We are saved by the Grace of God through our faith in Him and in Him who he has sent Jesus Christ alone. There is no other way.