Catholic Communion

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Eureka
Recognized Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Catholic Communion

Post by Eureka »

I recently attended my boyfriend's Godson's first communion--beautiful service! When the priest offered the Eucharist to the congregation, I wasn't sure what I should do. I decided to join and I accepted the gifts. I have no Catholic background, and had no intention of performing a formal confession after accepting communion, and I have currently been struggling with the Christian faith.

Was I rude by accepting communion with the congregation? Does this behavior offend Catholics? What if I were a devout Protestant?

E
"If you are ashamed to stand by your colors, you had better seek another flag."
Beanybag
Valued Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: Catholic Communion

Post by Beanybag »

Ex-Catholic here.. you shouldn't do that. :s
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

Eureka wrote:I recently attended my boyfriend's Godson's first communion--beautiful service! When the priest offered the Eucharist to the congregation, I wasn't sure what I should do. I decided to join and I accepted the gifts. I have no Catholic background, and had no intention of performing a formal confession after accepting communion, and I have currently been struggling with the Christian faith.

Was I rude by accepting communion with the congregation? Does this behavior offend Catholics? What if I were a devout Protestant?

E

I can only speak from a Protestant perspective but no I wouldn't be offended if you wanted to join in, who knows God may have touch your heart, who am I to stand in the way of that.

Dan
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:
Eureka wrote:I recently attended my boyfriend's Godson's first communion--beautiful service! When the priest offered the Eucharist to the congregation, I wasn't sure what I should do. I decided to join and I accepted the gifts. I have no Catholic background, and had no intention of performing a formal confession after accepting communion, and I have currently been struggling with the Christian faith.

E

I can only speak from a Protestant perspective but no I wouldn't be offended if you wanted to join in, who knows God may have touch your heart, who am I to stand in the way of that.

Dan
Catholics believe in transubstantiation so when we receive communion we believe it is the body and blood of Christ. It is not a mere ritual, it is what mass is all about. If you do not believe that it is the body and blood of Christ you ought not to receive it. It is not a matter of offending anyone but Christ.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Byblos wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:

E

Dan
Dan
Catholics believe in transubstantiation so when we receive communion we believe it is the body and blood of Christ. It is not a mere ritual, it is what mass is all about. If you do not believe that it is the body and blood of Christ you ought not to receive it. It is not a matter of offending anyone but Christ.
Like I said Byblos, a protestant wouldn't be offended. :ewink:
Last edited by Danieltwotwenty on Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Haha Ricky-boy, I messed it up, fixed now.

Dan
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:Like I said Byblos, a protestant wouldn't be offended. :ewink:
You're right. But I don't think Eureka was worried about offending Protestants. :D
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

E
Well...why did you do it?
Out of love for Christ? with an understanding that you were receiving the body of Christ or simply being part of the ceremony?
Many catholics I know don't fully understand trasnsubstantiation themselves.
The confession is what one does TO God before, to be in right mind.
And after one prays to God through Christ thanking for all God has done and continues to do for us, through Christ.
Of course by the "letter" of the rules then yes, one should confess our sins to a priest before and be of clear mind in regards what one is truly doing.
BUT Christ KNOWS Us far better than any priest, any man.
Your intentions are the key.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Byblos wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:Like I said Byblos, a protestant wouldn't be offended. :ewink:
You're right. But I don't think Eureka was worried about offending Protestants. :D

Facts shmacks, we can all use facts to back an argument can't we. y[-(

:ebiggrin:
Eureka
Recognized Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Eureka »

I have not considered myself a Christian for several years, but I spent over ten years as a devout Protestant, an active member of my church, regular study of the scripture, etc. I life that I loved. Unfortunately, I gradually came to the realization that I only believed in Christ as my savior and the Bible as the Word of God because I wanted to believe those things. I miss being a part of the Church and I always feel drawn to it.

I didn't take communion to 'fit in' with the crowd; traditions like this are part of what I miss about practicing religion. It gives me a comforting and affectionate feeling, similar to what I've felt while praying in the past. Maybe it is God? I imagine that feeding my nostalgia is not a 'good' intention, but my intentions were not superficial and not meant to be hypocritical. Selfish would probably be accurate.

I don't reject the Christian religion or the possibility that God exists, but I no longer think that these dogmas are obvious above all other faiths, and I don't believe that a collection of man-written books could be inerrant.

The peaceful feeling I experience while I participate in communion does not convince me that God is reaching out to me.

Thank you for responding. And for any Catholics on this page, I sincerely apologize for any offense that resulted from my intrusion and disrespect.

E :)
"If you are ashamed to stand by your colors, you had better seek another flag."
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Eureka wrote:I have not considered myself a Christian for several years, but I spent over ten years as a devout Protestant, an active member of my church, regular study of the scripture, etc. I life that I loved. Unfortunately, I gradually came to the realization that I only believed in Christ as my savior and the Bible as the Word of God because I wanted to believe those things. I miss being a part of the Church and I always feel drawn to it.

I didn't take communion to 'fit in' with the crowd; traditions like this are part of what I miss about practicing religion. It gives me a comforting and affectionate feeling, similar to what I've felt while praying in the past. Maybe it is God? I imagine that feeding my nostalgia is not a 'good' intention, but my intentions were not superficial and not meant to be hypocritical. Selfish would probably be accurate.

I don't reject the Christian religion or the possibility that God exists, but I no longer think that these dogmas are obvious above all other faiths, and I don't believe that a collection of man-written books could be inerrant.

The peaceful feeling I experience while I participate in communion does not convince me that God is reaching out to me.

Thank you for responding. And for any Catholics on this page, I sincerely apologize for any offense that resulted from my intrusion and disrespect.

E :)
Eureka,

I think I've made it very clear that you did not offend anyone but Christ. I know your're not a believer today (agnostic, maybe?) but imagine for a moment that the Catholic Church is who she claims to be. I know this is asking a lot, especially on this board, but indulge me (everyone) for a minute and just imagine that Christ is in fact who he claimed to be, the resurrection is true, and the RCC is in fact the Church that Christ established on earth. If this is all true then it also stands to reason that what the RCC teaches is also true. About receiving communion, since you were attending a first communion ceremony then you already knew the level of importance that the Church places on such a practice, to the point that first communicants must undergo a full year of study to understand the importance of receiving communion that they indeed are receiving the body and blood of Christ. You bring condemnation onto yourself (1 Cor. 11:27-30) when you receive it and disregard all of this emphasis put on the sacrament and for selfish reasons. So it is not a matter of disrespecting anyone but yourself and Christ.

I know you don't believe in any of this and you might say well, so what? All I can say is that people often do believe some things that turn out to be false, or vice versa, they don't believe in certain things that do turn out to be true.

jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

If you want to participate in mystical cannibalism, be my guest. :mrgreen:
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

jlay wrote:If you want to participate in mystical cannibalism, be my guest. :mrgreen:
With all due respect you have not a clue what you're talking about. :shakehead:

jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

Actually Byb, I agree, (regarding the serious of receiving communion in regards to the context of Paul's rebuke to the Corinthians, not transubstantiation) I was just making a tasteless joke. Apologies if you were offended.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious