Universal Health Care

Discussions about politics and goings on around the world. (Please keep discussions civil!)
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Universal Health Care

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Short1 wrote:Two videos that are not for universal health care for anyone interested.
The two videos were made by Americans for an American audience. The videos - and your post - are full of American cultural cues, like this one:
Short1 wrote:What about the loss of our individual freedoms as well?
I'm quite certain that nobody in a Commonwealth country would even think of making such a comment because it is a non-issue. Do you really think places like Australia, the UK and NZ are less free than the USA? If you do, you must be American! :poke: I think it is important to understand that a nation's culture will determine its policies/choices on...everything. America is fine with the health system in place and it would be almost impossible to dismantle it, so...live with it! Stay healthy by exercising and limit your consumption of junk food. You know what do do to stay healthy, right?
Short1 wrote:Any comments on the satisfaction of Canada's system?
Overall, I am satisfied with the Medicare system in my province of residence, Quebec. Each province administers its own system, and service will be different from one province to the next.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Short1
Recognized Member

Post by Short1 »

I think there shouldn't be universal health care in America. We can't afford our current plan, why do people think we can magically afford it once we have it for EVERYONE? How could the government possibly do a better job than ME at finding the lowest cost care that is best for my lifestyle? They can't. Subsidizing health care doesn't make it cheaper. It still costs the same or more, it doesn't get cheaper because the government is doing it for me. I can make the decision better than they can.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Short1 wrote:I think there shouldn't be universal health care in America.
Don't worry about it. It won't happen.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
melheath42
Newbie Member
Sex: Female

Post by melheath42 »

I am a nurse and have seen both sides of this situtation. I am not for the healthcare bill for many reasons. Since I have worked in health care my hourly pay has decreased, I no longer can take paid vacations unlike other careers, no more raises, no more scholarships for nurses to advance their degrees... all because of the people who do not put in their fair involvement in their communities such as getting jobs, getting off welfare etc... they are taking the money away from us hard working citizens to give to those who sit at home, refuse to find a job, collect unemployment for months even a years, have kid after kid just to get more goverment help. If the poor want to stay poor then thats fine, dont take it away from me. I am middle class that works 12 hour days, 1/3 of my yearly salary goes to taxes and 1/4 to pay for health insurance. I see people that dont work, have 12 kids, and bring home more than I do.... whats wrong with that!?!?!?
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Ivellious »

Melhealth.....I get your concern, but you do realize "universal health care" and your "unemployed people are ruining my life" are unrelated? They don't go hand in hand, nor does eliminating the idea of universal health care help the other problem.

EDIT: Oh, and for the record, I'm not endorsing any bill or law in the US. I'm advocating for the concept, not a specific political/legal system currently out there. Just sayin.