Who is Melkezidek?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
meforevidence
Recognized Member

Who Was Melchizedek?

Post by meforevidence »

He was a man just as the text states. The Hebrews believe this to be Shem (since he was still alive and the greatest patriarch of that lineage.

History records another sucessor of Melchizedek. One of the Tel Amarna Tablets is from "Ebed-Tob" , a king of Jerusalem, the successor of Melchizedek, in which he cleam the very attributes and dignity gen to Melchizedek.

" Archaeology has shed light on the enigmatic expression "without father, without mother, etc." A.H. Sayce, who served as professor of Assyriology at Oxford, called attention to an inscription from the famous Tell el-Amarna tablets (discovered in 1887 in Egypt). These tablets describe the conditions of Syria and Palestine about 1400-1360 B.C.

Several of the Tell el-Amarna tablets are letters written to the Pharaoh by Ebed-tob...the king of Uru-Salim [Jerusalem ], who begs for help against his enemies. He tells the Pharaoh that he was not like the other Egyptian governors in Palestine , nor had he received a crown by inheritance from his father or mother; it had been conferred on him by "the Mighty King..." (1906, 3:335).

So, observing the similarity of language, we conclude that Melchizedek's kingship/priesthood had not been derived genealogically; He had received his commission directly from God Himself. Indeed, as the Scriptures affirm, his was an appointment "of God Most High" (Genesis 14:18). Accordingly, by way of analogy, we are forced to affirm that the current reign/priesthood of our Lord is a direct and divinely authored administration. We are grateful to archaeology for this bit of assistance in understanding what otherwise might be perceived as an obscure reference. "
I was a former skeptic but now I am a strong believer in God and his word. I have a forum also with Christian Evidences supported with History, Archeology, Ancient Studies, and Philosophy at: //biblehistoryevi.freeforumsite.com/index.php I hope I can encourage many of you as many of you encouage me. God bless
Bradigans
Recognized Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Who is Melkezidek?

Post by Bradigans »

I believe I have the same claim as Ebed-Tob does in reference to Genesis 14:18 (1st Peter 2:5, Hebrews 5:6)... I'm just wondering if I have any brethren out here that can make the same claim... --- IN CHRIST ---

Bradford
Bradigans
Recognized Member

Post by Bradigans »

I believe as an agent of Christ's body THE CHURCH according to 1st Corinthians 12:13, any bona fide believer who is a son of God can be labeled or label themselves as a Melchisedec (1 Peter 2:5)... --- IN CHRIST ---

Bradford
Bradigans
Recognized Member

Post by Bradigans »

I'm so sorry... I didn't realize I am a Johnny come lately.. Looking at dates of post under topic, I discovered that this topic has already been discussed over six over seven years ago. --- IN CHRIST ---

Bradford
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

No problem. You might not get replies but all open posts are fair game. ;)
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Bradigans
Recognized Member

Post by Bradigans »

Thanks Canuckster1127... Just wondering though.. Was that an exhortation or admonition?

--- IN CHRIST ---

Bradford
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Just a fact. ;) We have threads going back many years and we have participants who come and go (and some return.) We don't close threads unless there's a specific reason to do so. Anyone is welcome to reply or post on every open thread. Just understand that if it's an old thread the people who were involved may no longer be checking it and in that case you might do better to just start a new thread. It's up to you however. There's no rule or guideline on it. I just didn't want you to be disappointed if you didn't get a response.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Bradigans
Recognized Member

Post by Bradigans »

Thanks Canuckster1127... Not certain why I kind of got on defence yesterday when I read your post.. I reread it today and wondered why I responded the way I did.

thanks